Would it be a sin to download games for free that are not free?

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just pay for your games.

I think people tend to appreciate their games when they put their hard earned money into them. Instead of being overwhelmed with a bunch of free content anyways.

If you're strapped for cash there are services like PS Now that let you play hundreds of games for a small monthly fee.

Upvote 0

Nevada Smith

Sep 20, 2020
Paxton
✟14,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
May I suggest a free trial version of World of Warcraft? It's free to play up to level 20. There is so much in the game that the trial version will keep you entertained for months.
Getting Started - WoW

Also a lot of these pirated games have been hacked with virus and Trojan horses inserted in the.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
If you want free good games, then you should download the free Epic Games launcher. They're trying to challenge steam, and to do so they're giving away totally free full price games on their store. Every few days they change which games are available, so over a few weeks you can pick up plenty. Some of them have only been available for a few months too, although some are older.

Upvote 0

Sebastian154

Aug 24, 2021
Florida
✟15,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Just pay for the game. Downloading something for free that you could easily buy is immoral. If it's an old game that is out of print, then I see no problem with downloading it and playing it. I emulate games for the NES and SNES that I used to own, because my consoles went belly up a few years ago and I didn't want to spend the money to replace them. The difference is that I at one time, owned all of the games I emulate, which means that they were paid for once already. The other major factor is that a lot of them are out of print, so the people who made them no longer make money off of the sale of them since they only sell secondhand. I can't go out and buy a copy of Lufia and the Fortress of Doom that Taito is going to get paid for.

You'll be supporting creators, which means that they'll make more games. Part of the reason why the music industry is so terrible as of right now, is because people stopped paying for music in the 2000s and the industry never really recovered from it. One of the reasons why vinyl LPs came back into popularity is because the industry couldn't convince people to spend $25 on a compact disc and nobody was paying for downloads. It makes me wonder if cartridges are eventually going to come back into popularity as a means for delivering games to people and convincing them to pay for them.

Upvote 0
Sep 27, 2019
inverness
✟74,129.71
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just pay for the game. Downloading something for free that you could easily buy is immoral. If it's an old game that is out of print, then I see no problem with downloading it and playing it. I emulate games for the NES and SNES that I used to own, because my consoles went belly up a few years ago and I didn't want to spend the money to replace them. The difference is that I at one time, owned all of the games I emulate, which means that they were paid for once already. The other major factor is that a lot of them are out of print, so the people who made them no longer make money off of the sale of them since they only sell secondhand. I can't go out and buy a copy of Lufia and the Fortress of Doom that Taito is going to get paid for.

You'll be supporting creators, which means that they'll make more games. Part of the reason why the music industry is so terrible as of right now, is because people stopped paying for music in the 2000s and the industry never really recovered from it. One of the reasons why vinyl LPs came back into popularity is because the industry couldn't convince people to spend $25 on a compact disc and nobody was paying for downloads. It makes me wonder if cartridges are eventually going to come back into popularity as a means for delivering games to people and convincing them to pay for them.
nah lad as a pro gamer i can see it all being digital

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟214,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes. As Christians, we are called to follow the rules. Also you are committing theft. You are robbing someone of their talents God has given them as well as their income. We all sin, I'm not perfect, but you asked & so I'm giving my thoughts.

Upvote 0

Alistair_Wonderland

Apr 14, 2018
New Philadelphia
✟28,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Morally, piracy ain't great. It's still theft, and it's pretty rude to the creators.
That aside, games are like sex: you can still get them outside of the proper channels that their creators made them for, but chances are you're gonna get infected with something.

Yes, I just made that comparison.

Upvote 0