Hermitage
✟17,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is so predictable. I actually wrote down, he will probably respond with "you are the one doing it." Which is basically saying, "I know you are, but what am I?"

Well, your correction or rebuke was vague.

Embracing one principle of love while violating other principles of the same, is not love.

Example?

If you are quoting scripture and being prideful and rude while doing it, it isn't love.

Example?
If you are talking to brothers and sisters in Christ, and rejoicing in correcting them, it isn't love.

Where was I rejoicing in my posts when correcting others?

If you only care about your argument you are seeking your own and it isn't love.

Seeking the welfare and edifications of others to grow in the knowledge of Him while leaning on Him in being open to correction to scripture for my own edification is all I am seeing here.

I had asked for scriptural reference that actually teaches the practice of worshiping the Holy Spirit with the Father & the Son, because I cannot find it since Matthew 3:16-17 doesn't really confirm that. And I am finding scripture why I can't find it.

This entire thread has been you parading yourself around and provoking arguments. That's not love, that's not fruit of the spirit. That is immaturity and strife.

Because I tell you the truth, therefore I am your enemy?

If I was astray for whatever the reason, how would you inform, instruct, or correct me?

Then why are you not doing it by the scripture? Then how is that prideful or attacking any one?

I can accept that you do not know at this time but maybe later on the Lord will show you, but guess what? I am hoping for the same, but so far, I have seen several scriptures for why I will not find it.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry.. but to worship the sweet sweet Holy Spirit.. there is NOTHING in the word of God that says YOU or NO to this. One as is done here would have to ADD to the word of God "what JESUS was really saying, what that verse really means".

That being said. For me...since the Holy Spirit NEVER talks about himself ALWAYS points to Christ.. Yet the Father nor Christ or the Holy Spirit has ever told me DONT! I can say I LOVE YOU Holy Spirit I worship you.. on and on.. dont FEEL guilty or bad.. Jesus the Father holy Spirit are ONE. Understand ONE NOT as man sees it but as GOD does?

I am a 100% sure the Holy Spirit can think talk for Himself. If you think its wrong... what ever praise GOD dont do it.

Upvote 0

Revelation 22:10-12

Jan 31, 2019
Hermitage
✟17,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sola Scriptura is a man-made belief.

Jesus said search the scriptures; John 5:39-40

Paul said we use scripture for this purpose.

2 Timothy 3:14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; 15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Equipping the saints;

Ephesians 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: 13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: 14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; 15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

Keeping the faith is the good fight. How do you propose to defend it against false teachings not found in the Bible? I would say by the scripture. What would you say?

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, your correction or rebuke was vague.

Example?

Example?

Where was I rejoicing in my posts when correcting others?

Seeking the welfare and edifications of others to grow in the knowledge of Him while leaning on Him in being open to correction to scripture for my own edification is all I am seeing here.

I had asked for scriptural reference that actually teaches the practice of worshiping the Holy Spirit with the Father & the Son, because I cannot find it since Matthew 3:16-17 doesn't really confirm that. And I am finding scripture why I can't find it.

Because I tell you the truth, therefore I am your enemy?

If I was astray for whatever the reason, how would you inform, instruct, or correct me?

Then why are you not doing it by the scripture? Then how is that prideful or attacking any one?

I can accept that you do not know at this time but maybe later on the Lord will show you, but guess what? I am hoping for the same, but so far, I have seen several scriptures for why I will not find it.
All I hear is a resounding gong. The examples are everywhere in this thread.

You know there was a group of people in the Bible who were very prideful of their knowledge of the word and the law. They felt superior to others. If anyone questioned this group of people they would try to use scripture and the law as a trap to snare them and discredit them.

There was another group that traveled around demonstrating the love of God to whomever was open to receiving it.

Wanna guess which one the Holy Spirit was with?

Upvote 0

Jan 31, 2019
Hermitage
✟17,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Bible says: worship God.
What he proclaims: don't worship God

John 14:6 cites how to come to God the Father by... that includes worship and that is by the Son.

John 5:22 cites a judgment over all believers as John 5:23 cites that judgment as specific in how to honor the Father and when we are not honoring the Father.

So scripture is instructing us how to worship God the Father by worshiping the Son. It is specific. Paul says that is the mind of Christ we are to have in worship Philippians 2:5-11 and Paul wants believers to obey that in his absence Philippians 2:12-13

So no. I am not saying don't worship God. I am pointing our scripture on how God the Father wants us to come to Him by and how He wants us to specifically honor Him by and those led by the Spirit of God and scripture will be doing that.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Jesus said search the scriptures; John 5:39-40

Paul said we use scripture for this purpose.

2 Timothy 3:14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; 15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Equipping the saints;

Ephesians 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: 13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: 14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; 15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

Keeping the faith is the good fight. How do you propose to defend it against false teachings not found in the Bible? I would say by the scripture. What would you say?
You need to study more History, neither were the books of the N.T. completed by that time nor the Bible was put together until 400 years ago by Church Authority.
Using Scripture Alone? Like the Unitarians? The J.W.? The Mormons?

• Agree
Reactions: ToServe
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
John 14:6 cites how to come to God the Father by... that includes worship and that is by the Son.

John 5:22 cites a judgment over all believers as John 5:23 cites that judgment as specific in how to honor the Father and when we are not honoring the Father.

So scripture is instructing us how to worship God the Father by worshiping the Son. It is specific. Paul says that is the mind of Christ we are to have in worship Philippians 2:5-11 and Paul wants believers to obey that in his absence Philippians 2:12-13

So no. I am not saying don't worship God. I am pointing our scripture on how God the Father wants us to come to Him by and how He wants us to specifically honor Him by and those led by the Spirit of God and scripture will be doing that.
Jesus and the Holy Spirit are God too but you made it sound like they are not God because the Father is the only one who receive adoration.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I know that they referenced Matthew 3:16-17 as proof text for the "practice" of worshiping the Holy Spirit with the Father & the Son for that modified Nicene creed, but it doesn't really cite the practice at all. Try as I might by search engines, I cannot find an actual verse for that practice, even though the Holy Spirit is God.

Contentions are that the Holy Spirit is God ( I agree ) and of the Triune God ( I agree ) and so we should worship Him as well. It sounds reasonable until I read these verses.

John 5:22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: 23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

Do note that John 5:22 is citing a judgment we should not play around with

Jesus did not mention the Holy Spirit at all. If He had not stated that last portion of verse 23, I would think it would be okay to honor the Holy Spirit just as long as they honor the Son, BUT because that bold and underlined statement is what Jesus has said is why I believe honoring the Holy Spirit is not the will of the father for us to do nor are we led by the Spirit to do that.

If we look at the role of the Holy Spirit we find He has a job to do through us.

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me: 27 And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14 He shall glorify me:

The n we have this truth about what makes each of our individual witness of Jesus Christ as true.

John 8:17 It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true.

So let us say we as individual believers decided to worship God in our solitary private setting whereby as led by the Holy Spirit in us, what we say in honoring the Son in glorifying the Son in worship will be true as by doing so honor and glorifies God the Father.

So in an assembly of a body of believers, our witnesses and our worship is true because the Holy Spirit is doing the same thing thru us to do that. The Holy Spirit cannot lead believers to speak of Himself in seeking the gory of Himself in worship just as a believer will not speak of himself to seek the glory of himself in worship for that worship to be true.

Now before we consider that I am being too literal with the Word of God in application, consider my alarm when believers call for the Holy Spirit in worship to come and fall on them, and there is nothing but chaos and confusion when something responds. Even one brother in India did not believe that the Holy Spirit would do any dramatic manifestations any more and one Pentecostal calendar day, he and his church was honoring the Holy Spirit when he felt something like liquid nitrogen seeping through his skull, and he was giving an unwilling apology to the Holy Spirit for not believing He did such dramatic manifestations today as He has done back in the early church days.

#1; God wants a willing confession; not a coerced one. He did not give us a spirit of fear, but of sound mind. If the Holy Spirit could do that, no one could grieve the Holy Spirit.

#2; The sensation of receiving something is not the Holy Spirit when He is in us.

By the apostle John's line of discernment in testing the spirits 1 John 4:1 by knowing the Holy Spirit is in us 1 John 4:4 and anything outside of us or coming over us later in life as a saved believer, is the spirit of the antichrist.

So why did God allow that which is not the Holy Spirit answer in that way when that brother was honoring the Holy Spirit? Why would God allow a strong delusion to occur?

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John 5:22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: 23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

Again. Do note that John 5:22 is citing a judgment we should not play around with. I believe that is why God allowed that phenomenon to happen because that is not how we are to honor the Father at all in worship.

Jesus told us how bad it will be in the last days as the way to come to God the Father will be broaden in Christian worship per Matthew 7:13-17 for why we are to narrow the way back to the Son in worship or else risk being left behind; Luke 13:24-30

Only the spirit of the antichrist would take the spotlight off of the Son in worship with their visitations and signs and wonders, but the indwelling Holy Spirit would never do that.

So that is why I believe it is an errant assumption to believe we are to practice the worship of the Holy Spirit with the Father & the Son even though we all believe the Holy Spirit is God and of the Triune God. There are other spirits in the world wherefore why God the Father has all the invitations to come to Him by the only way of the Son in living that reconciled relationship with God so that sinners can turn away from their spirit worships and stay away from those spirits by only coming to the Son in worship in coming to God the Father by.
The Spirit does and will not speak of Himself but He will glorify Jesus and bring to mind all that our Lord and Savior has said. We worship God ONLY by the Spirit living in us

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jan 31, 2019
Hermitage
✟17,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry.. but to worship the sweet sweet Holy Spirit.. there is NOTHING in the word of God that says YOU or NO to this. One as is done here would have to ADD to the word of God "what JESUS was really saying, what that verse really means".

That being said. For me...since the Holy Spirit NEVER talks about himself ALWAYS points to Christ.. Yet the Father nor Christ or the Holy Spirit has ever told me DONT! I can say I LOVE YOU Holy Spirit I worship you.. on and on.. dont FEEL guilty or bad.. Jesus the Father holy Spirit are ONE. Understand ONE NOT as man sees it but as GOD does?

If we are led by the Holy Spirit wherein He will always speak in pointing to Christ, how can He point any other way in worship? How can we say we are led by the Holy Spirit in speaking of Himself in seeking His own glory in worship? If we not led by the Spirit to do that, does that sound right to say something as not led by the Spirit to do?

I am a 100% sure the Holy Spirit can think talk for Himself. If you think its wrong... what ever praise GOD dont do it.

John 16:13 in all Bible versions says He cannot speak for Himself, on His own accord, on His own initiative, on His own authority, on His own volition, but He speaks what He hears ( NIV says He will speak only what He hears ) At the link below at Bible Gateway are 5 versions selected to compare. You can choose other versions to compare if you want.

John 16:13 KJV;NIV;NASB;ESV;ASV - Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, - Bible Gateway

I believe His saints are led by the Spirit of God in worship to honor God the Father by honoring the Son in testifying of the Son in seeking His glory and by doing so, glorifies God the Father.

Upvote 0

Jan 31, 2019
Hermitage
✟17,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Spirit does and will not speak of Himself but He will glorify Jesus and bring to mind all that our Lord and Savior has said. We worship God ONLY by the Spirit living in us

I agree in that for clarity sake, the Holy Spirit will testify of the Son to glorify the Son and that includes through us in worship whereby God the Father is glorified by. The glory of God rests on His Son; John 13:31-32 and that is the mind of Christ we are to have in worship to obey in Paul's absence; Philippians 2:5-13 That is what I am seeing in scripture for how we are to come to God the Father in worship John 14:6 and how to honor the Father by honoring the Son and when we are not honoring the Son, we are not honoring the Father; ( John 5:23 )

Thank you for sharing.

• Agree
Reactions: Pethesedzao
Upvote 0

Jan 31, 2019
Hermitage
✟17,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All I hear is a resounding gong. The examples are everywhere in this thread.

You know there was a group of people in the Bible who were very prideful of their knowledge of the word and the law. They felt superior to others. If anyone questioned this group of people they would try to use scripture and the law as a trap to snare them and discredit them.

There was another group that traveled around demonstrating the love of God to whomever was open to receiving it.

Wanna guess which one the Holy Spirit was with?

I accept that you agree to disagree.

Upvote 0

Jan 31, 2019
Hermitage
✟17,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm just getting out of here. I already reported you for violating the rules of CF, and for proselytizing. I thought you were confused but you are the one who believe we are wrong.
Lord have mercy!

If I was confused it is because of Matthew 3:16-17, surely I have explained why I am confused for which scripture from you is still found wanting for a better reference than Matthew 3:16-17 for worshiping the Holy Spirit with the Father & the Son.

How is that proselytizing if you have no scripture to correct me by?

Where does it say in scripture that teaches the church to worship the Holy Spirit with the Father & the Son?

I am open to correction, but that doesn't mean the absence of scripture means you are wrong. It just means you haven't found it yet.

BUT, there are scripture that reproves the practice of worshiping the Holy Spirit with the Father & the son when scripture is specific about how we are to come to God the father by for anything ( John 14:6 ) and that has to includes worship; AND John 5:22 cites a judgment over all believers and that judgment is when we are NOT honoring the Son, we are NOT honoring the Father. That tells me Jesus is the only way to honor in worship if we are to honor the Father.

Now it would be considered an unreasonable conclusion if there was scripture teaching the church of the practice to worship the Holy Spirit with the Father & the Son, but there isn't one so far, and so I am left with the conclusion from John 14:6 & John 5:22-23 & Philippians 2:5-13 is why I will not find any.

But I accept that you do not see why I am going about this and that you agree to disagree.

• Agree
Reactions: Pethesedzao
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Just to clarify; The Father is God, the Son is God, the Holy Spirit is God.

We cannot honor and glorify God the Father by honoring and glorifying God the Father. Where is His glory? On the Son. John 13:31-32 & Philippians 2:5-11

We honor and glorify God the Father by coming to Him in worship by the only way of the Son; John 14:6 because it is by honoring and glorifying the Son in worship is how the Father is honored & glorified by.

That is what the Holy Spirit in us is leading us to do in testifying of the Son ( John 15:26 ) in glorifying the Son ( John 16:14 ) and He does that through us in worship and not just outreach ministry ( John 15:27 )

That is my understanding in scripture.

There is no scriptural reference for worshiping the Holy Spirit with the Father & the Son. The scriptural reference of Matthew 3:16-17 does not say that nor teach that.

I am hoping someone will provide scripture to allay my contentions and my concerns when the scripture I have sited has reproved seemingly otherwise; least wise to me.

You are not listening as you are only referring to God the Father when you refer to GOD. You are mixing up two different subjects, being the "nature of GOD" and "salvation of humankind". While you say that the Holy Spirit is God, your attitude and behavior towards the Spirit do not acknowledge him as God, but as a much lesser being unworthy of worship.

Is your church teaching you that the Holy Spirit isn't worthy of worship and separating the Trinity out as three different gods, with God the Father being God, and Jesus being to what amounts as his "trophy wife", and the Holy Spirit being, well...nothing at all, or is this something you have somehow come up with all on your own?

You have everything backwards because you are fixed on the idea that only 1/3 of God is worthy of being God and the other two are merely there for supporting him.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Jan 31, 2019
Hermitage
✟17,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You need to study more History, neither were the books of the N.T. completed by that time nor the Bible was put together until 400 years ago by Church Authority.
Using Scripture Alone? Like the Unitarians? The J.W.? The Mormons?

May I ask how Paul can instruct believers to continue in the scripture?

2 Timothy 3:4 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; 15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Is it because they did have the books with them?

2 Timothy 4:13 The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments.

Did they not practice sharing epistles written to specific places with other places?

Colossians 4:15 Salute the brethren which are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, and the church which is in his house. 16 And when this epistle is read among you, cause that it be read also in the church of the Laodiceans; and that ye likewise read the epistle from Laodicea.

1 Thessalonians 5:27 I charge you by the Lord that this epistle be read unto all the holy brethren.

So just because history has marked the "completion" of the N.T. by the Church Authority "400" years ago, it doesn't mean that there were no completed collection of books of the Bible before that official notice in history when they were publishing the "completed Bible".

Upvote 0

Jan 31, 2019
Hermitage
✟17,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are not listening as you are only referring to God the Father when you refer to GOD. You are mixing up two different subjects, being the "nature of GOD" and "salvation of humankind". While you say that the Holy Spirit is God, your attitude and behavior towards the Spirit do not acknowledge him as God, but as a much lesser being unworthy of worship.

Is your church teaching you that the Holy Spirit isn't worthy of worship and separating the Trinity out as three different gods, with God the Father being God, and Jesus being to what amounts as his "trophy wife", and the Holy Spirit being, well...nothing at all, or is this something you have somehow come up with all on your own?

You have everything backwards because you are fixed on the idea that only 1/3 of God is worthy of being God and the other two are merely there for supporting him.

No one is teaching me that the Holy Spirit is not worthy of worship.

Scripture is teaching me how God the Father is to be worshipped and that is by only honoring the Son in worship. Scripture also teaches me that is what the Holy Spirit in me is leading me to do in worship.

I accept that you agree to disagree. I leave it to God to cause the increase. No point arguing.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
May I ask how Paul can instruct believers to continue in the scripture?

2 Timothy 3:4 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; 15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Is it because they did have the books with them?

2 Timothy 4:13 The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments.

Did they not practice sharing epistles written to specific places with other places?

Colossians 4:15 Salute the brethren which are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, and the church which is in his house. 16 And when this epistle is read among you, cause that it be read also in the church of the Laodiceans; and that ye likewise read the epistle from Laodicea.

1 Thessalonians 5:27 I charge you by the Lord that this epistle be read unto all the holy brethren.

So just because history has marked the "completion" of the N.T. by the Church Authority "400" years ago, it doesn't mean that there were no completed collection of books of the Bible before that official notice in history when they were publishing the "completed Bible".

They're talking about the Jewish scriptures, i.e. the Old Testament. While some of Paul's letters may have been in circulation in some areas, the only compilation of scripture available was what we call the OT. The bible, as we know it today, did not exist for hundreds of years later.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Jan 31, 2019
Hermitage
✟17,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus and the Holy Spirit are God too but you made it sound like they are not God because the Father is the only one who receive adoration.

Then you have not been understanding my post.

We are to have that mind of Christ of exalting Jesus Christ in worship in glorifying the Son because that is the only way you can honor and glorify God the Father by. scripture supports this; John 14:6, John 5:22-23 & Philippians 2:5-13

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.