Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Michigan
✟11,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This goes through my head alot as far as lets say you are a new believer ...
When I'm not feeling very lovable towards others and lets say my feelings are hurt and I sit down on my porch and I have a one on one with God and then I ask What he wants out of me...what does he want me to know in order to make the situation right and I get real quiet and as I hear him it is like everything about love and forgiveness comes flooding in and its not just a thought but the whole entire feeling of love penetrates...so now I know what God wants me to do which is to have the fruit of the Spirit.

So i'm a bit beside myself because the fruit is Gods fruit and I would consider this fruit Gods work and not mine.

If I lay hands on someone and pray for healing...and they are healed...they are healed not by my strength or power but Gods...

Everything to me seems to be Gods work and not really mine...

What are our works?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
When I'm not feeling very lovable towards others and lets say my feelings are hurt and I sit down on my porch and I have a one on one with God and then I ask What he wants out of me...what does he want me to know in order to make the situation right and I get real quiet and as I hear him it is like everything about love and forgiveness comes flooding in and its not just a thought but the whole entire feeling of love penetrates...so now I know what God wants me to do which is to have the fruit of the Spirit.

So i'm a bit beside myself because the fruit is Gods fruit and I would consider this fruit Gods work and not mine.

If I lay hands on someone and pray for healing...and they are healed...they are healed not by my strength or power but Gods...

What are our works?

The point you make is a valid one, but you can still choose to sit there and feel inspired OR get up and go forth to do the Lord's work. If it's the latter, they're the works we are talking about. Yes, the ability to even care is God's doing, but you still make the decision to follow through or not.

Upvote 0

TamaraLynne

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Michigan
✟11,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The point you make is a valid one, but you can still choose to sit there and feel inspired OR get up and go forth to do the Lord's work. If it's the latter, they're the works we are talking about. Yes, the ability to even care is God's doing, but you still make the decision to follow through or not.

So lets say laying on of hands and praying for healing...I know Jesus sent the disciples out in twos...so fellowship is also our works....and the stepping out part?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So lets say laying on of hands and praying for healing...I know Jesus sent the disciples out in twos...so fellowship is also our works....and the stepping out part?

I'd guess "yes," but no one actually has a list of acceptable "works," let alone a ranking of them. We just do what we know Jesus would have us do. :)

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

What are our works?

Synergy is the technical and theological term. We cooperate fully and willfully with God. Doing so heals our own wounded spirit and broken nature (in Greek, this is called theosis; the English term for this is "sanctification"). It is like when we are children and ask to "drive" the car with a parent or guardian. The adult lets us put our hands on their hands or under. The result is a directed controll; it isn't technically we driving the car but it is through us that it happens and we learn how to have the correct will to drive. The hands under or over ours' make our driving perfect.

Does this help you?

Reactions: Historicus
Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

What are our works?

The fruit of the Spirit does not include 'healing' although those who walk in the Spirit may receive healing and they may even be involved in the healing of others.
... the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, trustfulness, gentleness and self-control; ... -- Galatians 5:22-23​
If your works are characterised by the fruit mentioned above then you are doing the works of God and that is acceptable to God.

Upvote 0

BrotherDC

Please pray for me and those around me.
Jun 8, 2013
✟2,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

What are our works?

I think they are works done by the leading of the Holy Spirits guidance

When I'm not feeling very lovable towards others and lets say my feelings are hurt and I sit down on my porch and I have a one on one with God and then I ask What he wants out of me...what does he want me to know in order to make the situation right and I get real quiet and as I hear him it is like everything about love and forgiveness comes flooding in and its not just a thought but the whole entire feeling of love penetrates..

And i experience this too, i was wondering lately if it was the Spirit putting that love in my heart. To me it is from the HS comforter, but i thought i better make sure, for some reason. Thanks for confirming

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear TamaraLynne. What are works? Jesus tells us very nicely.
Matthew 22: 35-40: Jesus tells a Lawyer: " The first and great Commandment
is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
The second is like it: Love thy neighbour as thyself." Then Jesus states this great truth: " On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." God wants our Love, freely given and NO tags attached. What do we do? Everything we say or do, everything we advise or stand for, MUST BE FROM LOVE. A good start is: treat all we know and all we love, friend or not friend, treat them as we would love to be treated: kindly and always with friendly words and helping hands if needed. God sees our efforts and God will bless us.
Jesus will give us His Love and His Joy, the Holy Spirit will empower us with
His Love, also. ( Ask and ye shall receive,) ( Matthew 7: 7-8:) then we thank God and share all
Love and Joy with our neighbour. A Christian`s great weapon is LOVE. With
Love we will overcome all enmity and wrong behaviour. God is Love, and God
wants loving children/sons and daughters. The world will notice, and treat us the same, we will be surrounded by Love and Joy. We will keep asking God and thanking God, and sharing all Love and Joy with our neighbour.
We might stumble and forget at times, but then we ask God to forgive us,
and carry on loving and caring. Life will become abundant as Jesus has promised us, and we will be sign-posts to God our Heavenly Father. Love is very catching.
The Bible tells us: " Repent," change from being selfish and unloving, to be loving and caring. We will be God`s representatives in this imperfect world.
Jesus our Saviour will help and guide us all the way, JESUS IS THE WAY.
I say this with love, Tamara. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sonshine234

Nov 10, 2012
✟2,002.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

What are our works?
These are our works:

For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’

Matt 25:35-40

Upvote 0

BrotherDC

Jun 8, 2013
✟2,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
These are our works:

For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’

Matt 25:35-40

Those are not all the good works though. Good works are doing anything God says is good

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Upvote 0

BrotherDC

Jun 8, 2013
✟2,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ok, but these verses has nothing to do with good works. Good works are a different category than following Gods commands

No, good works are simply doing good things. Theology just gets confused, over thinking it misses the obvious.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, good works are simply doing good things. Theology just gets confused, over thinking it misses the obvious.

Incorrect. Works of the Law are what is talked of. Reread St. Paul.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BrotherDC

Jun 8, 2013
✟2,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Incorrect. Works of the Law are what is talked of. Reread St. Paul.

Yes but we are given the law too (as the Lord teaches and fulfills it) Works are about love and holiness, and love fulfills the law.

Paul is merely teaching about Grace and defining the Law of Christ. Lets not over think it, Peter has some good advice for us.

2 Peter 3 (ESV)

The Day of the Lord Will Come

3 This is now the second letter that I am writing to you, beloved. In both of them I am stirring up your sincere mind by way of reminder, 2 that you should remember the predictions of the holy prophets and the commandment of the Lord and Savior through your apostles, 3 knowing this first of all, that scoffers will come in the last days with scoffing, following their own sinful desires. 4 They will say, “Where is the promise of his coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all things are continuing as they were from the beginning of creation.” 5 For they deliberately overlook this fact, that the heavens existed long ago, and the earth was formed out of water and through water by the word of God, 6 and that by means of these the world that then existed was deluged with water and perished. 7 But by the same word the heavens and earth that now exist are stored up for fire, being kept until the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly.

8 But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9 The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you,[a] not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a roar, and the heavenly bodies will be burned up and dissolved, and the earth and the works that are done on it will be exposed.[c]

11 Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of people ought you to be in lives of holiness and godliness, 12 waiting for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be set on fire and dissolved, and the heavenly bodies will melt as they burn! 13 But according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.

Final Words

14 Therefore, beloved, since you are waiting for these, be diligent to be found by him without spot or blemish, and at peace. 15 And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, 16 as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures. 17 You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, take care that you are not carried away with the error of lawless people and lose your own stability. 18 But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Ame

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes but we are given the law too (as the Lord teaches and fulfills it) Works are about love and holiness, and love fulfills the law.

The Torah is dead however.

Works are what we do in synergy with God. These are not works of the Law but works of Grace.

Paul is merely teaching about Grace and defining the Law of Christ. Lets not over think it, Peter has some good advice for us.

You misinterpret because you base everything on a false premise which is betrayed by your own very use of it.

Furthermore, it doesn't counter or even address my argument. It is a Straw Man. Disagree with what I say, not what you build up to take down and falsely attribute to me.

Upvote 0

BrotherDC

Jun 8, 2013
✟2,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The Torah is dead however.

Works are what we do in synergy with God. These are not works of the Law but works of Grace.

You misinterpret because you base everything on a false premise which is betrayed by your own very use of it.

Furthermore, it doesn't counter or even address my argument. It is a Straw Man. Disagree with what I say, not what you build up to take down and falsely attribute to me.

lol, take a chill pill my brother, love and holiness are obeyed in faith. Open your mind to love and see what paul is really saying.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
lol, take a chill pill my brother, love and holiness are obeyed in faith. Open your mind to love and see what paul is really saying.

I know what he is really saying.

And really, that's an Argument for Pity. Also a logical fallacy.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,319.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What are our works?

I would say that our works are to use the gifts that he has given us, by his Spirit and in his strength.

Eph 2:10 says that we were created to do good works which God prepared in advance for us to do. Works aren't wrong, but they can't save us, and works done in our strength only will, I believe, be unproductive and not bring glory to him.

Upvote 0