Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
[12] Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;
[13] for God is at work in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. Phil 2:12-13 RSV

So how does one work out their own salvation?

According to Titus 2:11-14, our salvation involves being trained by grace to do what is godly, righteous, and good and to renounce doing what is ungodly and sinful, so taking part in this training is working out our salvation.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
  • Useful
Reactions: GingerBeer
Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The very reason every good Protestant takes his bible with him.

Forgive me...
Every good Protestant may take his Bible with him but the problem is not every Protestant reads his Bible.
Forgive me...could not resist the sarcasm. :wave:

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes. (Are Eastern Orthodox Christians Protestants?)

For us, the service is the bible. Clergy are not allowed to deviate from the calendar of services, so we never wind up in that situation where we are running to see if we agree with what the pastor said. We hear it every year from every clergyman as they rotate through.

There are no superstars in The Orthodox Church.

Forgive me...

• Agree
Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Every good Protestant may take his Bible with him but the problem is not every Protestant reads his Bible.
Forgive me...could not resist the sarcasm. :wave:

Reading it is hardly ever the problem.

Misunderstanding it leads to many though.

Forgive me...

• Agree
Upvote 0
Sep 16, 2017
Yeovil,
✟8,631.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
[12] Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;
[13] for God is at work in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. Phil 2:12-13 RSV

You DON'T!!!! As far as I can see the only safe way is to draw as close as possible to the Son of God, that is Jesus Christ, through: prayer, Holy Communion; fasting [not just food!]; repentance [being absolutely honest with someone before Jesus and going in a new direction if at possible], and adoring Jesus [coming before Jesus with your heart in silent contemplation and letting Him love you or perhaps speak to you]. In this way you have a rock solid reference point, otherwise you could finish up trying to judge/discern yourself through your own views/distortions/personality/etc., which is not at all spiritually healthy. B U T, as it says on the lorry it is a "LONG VEHICLE", and certainly ""Rome was not built in a day" so be patient with yourself.
Back of a lorry.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
For us, the service is the bible. Clergy are not allowed to deviate from the calendar of services, so we never wind up in that situation where we are running to see if we agree with what the pastor said. We hear it every year from every clergyman as they rotate through.

There are no superstars in The Orthodox Church.

Forgive me...
Do you believe Paul's words are indisputable?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
You DON'T!!!! As far as I can see the only safe way is to draw as close as possible to the Son of God, that is Jesus Christ, through: prayer, Holy Communion; fasting [not just food!]; repentance [being absolutely honest with someone before Jesus and going in a new direction if at possible], and adoring Jesus [coming before Jesus with your heart in silent contemplation and letting Him love you or perhaps speak to you]. In this way you have a rock solid reference point, otherwise you could finish up trying to judge/discern yourself through your own views/distortions/personality/etc., which is not at all spiritually healthy. B U T, as it says on the lorry it is a "LONG VEHICLE", and certainly ""Rome was not built in a day" so be patient with yourself.View attachment 207802
But don't you think the Lord wants us to be self-sufficient?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
There are perfect churches?

Who said anything about perfect? I'm saying that if your going to a church that's leading you down the wrong path then you should find another church, there's a lot of ground to cover between "leading down wrong path" and "perfect", perhaps like "decent" or "so-so" or even "meh", though I'd recommend at the very least something basically good.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are perfect churches?
No. a church "small c" is an assembly. THE Church (capital C) is the Body of Christ. It has zero to do with walls and rituals. Those of us in the Body of Christ look to and learn from the Holy Spirit. No denominations, no structure, just Him.

[Edit abbreviations]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you believe Paul's words are indisputable?
The Bible is inspired. Saul was intercepted on the road to Damascus and given His instructions. Saul did not invent them, or borrow them from some other source.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

given that every soul will inevitably be in the place of any other soul during the course of the eternal cycle/circle and will thus experience everything the other one experienced i.e. in exactly the same way the other one experienced it, saving ourselves is not great gain, but saving (all) others is, so saving ourselves means saving others

Matthew 7:1-12 (NASB) "Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you... In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets.",

Romans 15:1-4 (KJV) "We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves. Let every one of us please his neighbour for his good to edification. For even Christ pleased not himself; but, as it is written, The reproaches of them that reproached thee fell on me. For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.",

1 Corinthians 10:24-33 (NASB) "Let no one seek his own good, but that of his neighbor... Give no offense(i.e. don't cause/bring stumbling blocks, twists, corruptions or temptations) either to Jews(i.e. to religious people) or to Greeks(i.e. to irreligious ones) or to the church of God; just as I also please all men in all things(i.e. in all good things), not seeking my own profit but the profit of the many, so that they may be saved."

Blessings

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Who said anything about perfect? I'm saying that if your going to a church that's leading you down the wrong path then you should find another church, there's a lot of ground to cover between "leading down wrong path" and "perfect", perhaps like "decent" or "so-so" or even "meh", though I'd recommend at the very least something basically good.

-CryptoLutheran
I love my church. Sometimes my pastor says unwise things.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
The Bible is inspired. Saul was intercepted on the road to Damascus and given His instructions. Saul did not invent them, or borrow them from some other source.
I lot of people believe as you do.

Upvote 0