Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
"self" sufficient? No. We are Body of Christ Holy Spirit sufficient.
I don't think the Lord wants us to be totally dependent on him. He wants to teach us how to be happy. We can not be happy if we don't forever appreciate what our Creator has done for us.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
We forever are embraced in Him, by Him, for Him. He is our Rock. He ministers to us split-second by split-second. We glory in our Lord by listening.
Yes, but he wants us to be happy, and that means a certain amount of independence.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
HE is our happiness and joy 24/7/365.
He wants us to learn to live righteous lives so that he doesn't have to be constantly pulling us out of jams.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
[12] Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;
[13] for God is at work in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. Phil 2:12-13 RSV

So how does one work out their own salvation?
I believe they do it by study, you probably don't have a good pastor, even though everyone would say they do.

Matthew chapter 4 verse 4
Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"
Romans chapter 1 verse 28
Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done.

John chapter 8 verse 31,32
To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, " If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
2 John
9 Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
Job chapter 23 verse 12
I have not departed from the commands of his lips; I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread.

Matthew 11
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
Luke chapter 21
33 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
Romans chapter 10
17 Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.
Mark chapter 13
31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
James chapter 1
25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.
James chapter 4
8 Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
Isaiah chapter 45 verse 19
I have not spoken in secret, from somewhere in a land of darkness; I have not said to Jacob's descendants, 'Seek me in vain.' I, the LORD, speak the truth; I declare what is right.
Jeremiah chapter 9
24 but let the one who boasts boast about this:
that they have the understanding to know me,
that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness,
justice and righteousness on earth,
for in these I delight,”
declares the Lord.
Jeremiah chapter 5 verse 1
5 “Go up and down the streets of Jerusalem,
look around and consider,
search through her squares.
If you can find but one person
who deals honestly and seeks the truth,
I will forgive this city.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I believe they do it by study, you probably don't have a good pastor, even though everyone would say they do.

Matthew chapter 4 verse 4
Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"
Romans chapter 1 verse 28
Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done.

John chapter 8 verse 31,32
To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, " If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
2 John
9 Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
Job chapter 23 verse 12
I have not departed from the commands of his lips; I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread.

Matthew 11
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
Luke chapter 21
33 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
Romans chapter 10
17 Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.
Mark chapter 13
31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
James chapter 1
25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.
James chapter 4
8 Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
Isaiah chapter 45 verse 19
I have not spoken in secret, from somewhere in a land of darkness; I have not said to Jacob's descendants, 'Seek me in vain.' I, the LORD, speak the truth; I declare what is right.
Jeremiah chapter 9
24 but let the one who boasts boast about this:
that they have the understanding to know me,
that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness,
justice and righteousness on earth,
for in these I delight,”
declares the Lord.
Jeremiah chapter 5 verse 1
5 “Go up and down the streets of Jerusalem,
look around and consider,
search through her squares.
If you can find but one person
who deals honestly and seeks the truth,
I will forgive this city.
Why would you assume I think I have a good pastor?

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Read it again I didn't say that.
What were you saying when you said this, "I believe they do it by study, you probably don't have a good pastor, even though everyone would say they do"?

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What were you saying when you said this, "I believe they do it by study, you probably don't have a good pastor, even though everyone would say they do"?
Sorry, I guess I did, I should have said most people would say they do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Sorry, I guess I did, I should have said most people would say they do.
Was your point that we should depend on the Bible - not our pastors - for our knowledge? I would agree with that point. And that would be a reason that pastors don't need to preach long sermons.

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Was your point that we should depend on the Bible - not our pastors - for our knowledge? I would agree with that point. And that would be a reason that pastors don't need to preach long sermons.
Was your point that we should depend on the Bible - not our pastors - for our knowledge? I would agree with that point
The bible is the word of God, I've known many pastors that are thieves and liars.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course we are to depend on God for everything - even our own lives! I'm kind of surprised why anyone would think that we are to have some sort of individualistic notion when it comes to leaning on God. I have SO many verses in context swimming in my head right now. :yellowheart:

Psalm 46
Psalm 18
When God saved Israel from Egypt and had them survive for 40 years in the wilderness (Exodus 16:4, Exodus 16:35)
John 6:35
Ephesians 2:19-22
John 3:15-17! The most famous verses of all. :yellowheart:

My question is how on earth (that God made) are we (that God also created) supposed to live independantly from God? Our very Creator Who said He would provide and sustain us not only by food and drink but also by His Word? Matthew 6:31-33
Hebrews 5:12-14 :yellowheart:

Upvote 0

truckerdan

Sep 15, 2017
Phoenix, Az
✟31,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
[12] Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;
[13] for God is at work in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. Phil 2:12-13 RSV

Not being the most educated or even close to the smartest of men; When it comes to 'how' to so something I need to keep it simple.
Whenever I see the word HOW in a question my first response is Honestly; Openly and Willingly.
I Honestly owed a debt I could not pay; I Openly acknowledge and Thank God for His Forgiveness and ask the Lord for His Grace and Guidance.
And Willingly accept that His Will not mine gets done.
I trust my Lord, and I am assured that I am still a work in progress; He who began that work will complete it.
That is "HOW"I do it one day at a time

• Agree
Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is best presented as "work out your own salvation in respect, awe and reverence." No way does Paul (or God, of course) want us to shake and tremble in fear. And that's the name of that tune. Rest. Be blessed.

Reactions: truckerdan
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Of course we are to depend on God for everything - even our own lives! I'm kind of surprised why anyone would think that we are to have some sort of individualistic notion when it comes to leaning on God. I have SO many verses in context swimming in my head right now. :yellowheart:

Psalm 46
Psalm 18
When God saved Israel from Egypt and had them survive for 40 years in the wilderness (Exodus 16:4, Exodus 16:35)
John 6:35
Ephesians 2:19-22
John 3:15-17! The most famous verses of all. :yellowheart:

My question is how on earth (that God made) are we (that God also created) supposed to live independantly from God? Our very Creator Who said He would provide and sustain us not only by food and drink but also by His Word? Matthew 6:31-33
Hebrews 5:12-14 :yellowheart:
I think the Lord wants us to learn to obey his commandments so we'll stay out of trouble. He doesn't want to have to constantly be having to save us from the trouble we make for ourselves. And it makes it a lot easier for us, also.

• Agree
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
It is best presented as "work out your own salvation in respect, awe and reverence." No way does Paul (or God, of course) want us to shake and tremble in fear. And that's the name of that tune. Rest. Be blessed.
I was focused on "work out your own salvation."

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the Lord wants us to learn to obey his commandments so we'll stay out of trouble. He doesn't want to have to constantly be having to save us from the trouble we make for ourselves. And it makes it a lot easier for us, also.

I had hoped I missunderstood what you meant, thanks for clarifying! :yellowheart:

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

One works out their own salvation firstly in fear and trembling and then in obedience and fidelity to the teaching of Christ. Goodness is the fruit that the faithful seek to cultivate in themselves by means of the grace of God and the graces that God gives in the Church and in creation. In short if you keep the Lord's commandments, you will abide in God's love, just as the Lord Jesus Christ kept his Father's commandments and abides in God's love.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

God's commands aren't just about making sure that we stay out of trouble, but rather they are about teaching us to reflect God's attributes, such as holiness, righteousness, goodness (Romans 7:12), justice, mercy, faithfulness (Matthew 23:23), love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, and self-control (Exodus 34:6-7). Living according to those attributes will keep us out of trouble, but it is more growing in an intimate relationship with him where we learn to walk in God's image.

Upvote 0