W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I edited this scripture to show only the works of flesh that i want to discuss in this thread. What do you think? Is this NASB version accurate? If so it sure points out division as a work of flesh.

Galatians NASB 6:19 Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: enmities, strife, disputes, dissensions, [j]factions, 21... and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Reactions: Katiedash

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I edited this scripture to show only the works of flesh that i want to discuss in this thread. What do you think? Is this NASB version accurate? If so it sure points out division as a work of flesh.

Galatians NASB 6:19 Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: enmities, strife, disputes, dissensions, [j]factions, 21... and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
It made me think of church splits which is not an uncommon occurrence in Christendom. This verse would align withl other scriptures where we are commanded to love each other rather than be divisive.
1 Jn 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.
1 Jn 3:14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother abides in death.
1 Jn 3:21 Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It made me think of church splits which is not an uncommon occurrence in Christendom.
There is also political division as well. Thanks for the scripture, it reminds me of the fruit of the spirit that Galatians refers to.

Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married

I found it interesting that the words "practice such things" (NASB) "those who live like this" (NIV) "do such things" (KJV) seem to point to a lifestyle not just a one time event. Wow! The evidence of the Spirit does not include these things.

So if someone is filled with the Holy Spirit and continues practicing these.....not good. It is in fact very sobering scripture for those spending their time creating discord.

I would say that as long as discussion and study produce fruit then it's a good thing. If the fruit of a discussion are contention, division, disputes and striving we should be avoiding it or trying to turn it around to produce godly fruit.

Just thinking out loud

Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I found it interesting that the words "practice such things" (NASB) "those who live like this" (NIV) "do such things" (KJV) seem to point to a lifestyle not just a one time event. Wow! The evidence of the Spirit does not include these things.

So if someone is filled with the Holy Spirit and continues practicing these.....not good. It is in fact very sobering scripture for those spending their time creating discord.

I would say that as long as discussion and study produce fruit then it's a good thing. If the fruit of a discussion are contention, division, disputes and striving we should be avoiding it or trying to turn it around to produce godly fruit.

Just thinking out loud
The book of 1 John is particularly instructive in helping to distinguish between occasional sin and the practice of sin. Everyone sins and no one is without sin according to 1 Jn 1:8,10. However according to 1 Jn 1:7 believers are cleansed of sin only IF we walk in the light. The little word "if" stipulates a condition that must be fulfilled in order to effectuate the result of being cleansed. Walking in the light indicates a lifestyle of practicing righteousness but occasional sin does occur as no one is without sin so that when such a believer who is walking in the light stumbles and sins - he is forgiven according to 1 Jn 1:7. However a believe who practices a lifestyle of disobedience by sowing discord for example walks in darkness (v.6) and as such the promise of forgiveness is not assured of.

• Agree
Reactions: Hearingheart
Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well division as a work of the flesh is different to division because of the gospel of Christ. Jesus said:

Mat 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
Mat 10:35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

What this simply means is that taking a stand for Jesus in some cases will split up families and even split up churches who are actually not practicing and teaching the truth. On the other hand, in John's day there were people infiltrating the church trying to draw away members to themselves, teaching that Jesus Christ did not really die for them and claiming that they had the real truth. So at the end the of the day, the question is what is the source for the division. The devil can cause divisions and disputes, but standing up for Jesus can also do the same thing.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

I suspect it is a good translation. I suppose there is a difference between healthy debate and enmity.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well division as a work of the flesh is different to division because of the gospel of Christ. Jesus said:

Mat 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
Mat 10:35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

What this simply means is that taking a stand for Jesus in some cases will split up families and even split up churches who are actually not practicing and teaching the truth. On the other hand, in John's day there were people infiltrating the church trying to draw away members to themselves, teaching that Jesus Christ did not really die for them and claiming that they had the real truth. So at the end the of the day, the question is what is the source for the division. The devil can cause divisions and disputes, but standing up for Jesus can also do the same thing.

Everyone believes that they are preaching truth. Who, out of all the denominations, has the truth?

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I suspect it is a good translation. I suppose there is a difference between healthy debate and enmity.
I suppose, but what is that difference? No one wants to admit that their theology causes unnecessary division. What should we do then?? Should we just keep doing what we do and ignore Galatians 5?

Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married

I prefer the word discussion because debate has contention at it's root.

Healthy discussion includes respect, mercy and grace....oh yea, the fruits of the Spirit, too. Also knowing when to listen, when to bow out and when to say forgive me. Things like pride, antagonism and arrogance don't add healthiness nor do they give out good fruit.

Any discussion that doesn't have building up and edifying as it's intent will quickly show itself.

Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I suppose, but what is that difference? No one wants to admit that their theology causes unnecessary division. What should we do then?? Should we just keep doing what we do and ignore Galatians 5?
What would we do with our time if we couldn't debate each other? There's nothing good on TV to watch.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I prefer the word discussion because debate has contention at it's root.

Healthy discussion includes respect, mercy and grace....oh yea, the fruits of the Spirit, too. Also knowing when to listen, when to bow out and when to say forgive me. Things like pride, antagonism and arrogance don't add healthiness nor do they give out good fruit.

Any discussion that doesn't have building up and edifying as it's intent will quickly show itself.
I think "debate" is harmless and close to the truth. I like to stay away from "argue."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 Now those who [k]belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also [l]walk by the Spirit. 26 Let us not become boastful, challenging one another, envying one another.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I suspect we have honest disagreements.
Perhaps, but the scriptures still teach us that division is wrong. At the very least we should be careful with what we say and discuss, rather than being carefree and reckless, letting the works of flesh be seen in us. (division, dissension, factions)

Upvote 0