• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Work anxiety

Violagirl

Dec 22, 2013
✟24,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I deal with a lot of anxiety in my current job. I work in a University clinic where I process insurance policies for University students. One issue I run into time and time again is parents that call on behalf of their students about what they are charged, what their benefits are, etc and it leading to confrontation when parents are told we can't share specific information to them due to HIPAA laws. I had one parent get on my case last week and now I'm worried about getting in trouble at my job. I'm looking for prayers that everything turns okay and if anyone could say prayers for me Id appreciate it.

OrdineeeBe

Prognosticator
May 6, 2020
Los Angeles
✟17,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
If it's an issue that happens a lot i'm sure other coworkers experience the same so I doubt you'd lose your job over it. People can make all kinds of threats over the phone and boast about their importance and how they're gonna get you fired, but the odds of you truly running into someone who is powerful and spiteful enough to mess things up for you us very unlikely.

Upvote 0

Of the Kingdom

Nov 26, 2018
Atlanta, Georgia
✟48,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hope you can find a way to reduce confrontation. I suppose if the student were present and approved, you could freely discuss the details.

May God bless you, and give you wisdom to be able to inform parents what you can and cannot share in a peaceable way.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I had one parent get on my case last week and now I'm worried about getting in trouble at my job.

I'm a university professor, and while I don't deal with health information, I do deal with information about how students are doing in class -- their grades, their attendance, and so forth -- all of which is protected by privacy laws if the student is over 18. I have a standard speech that goes something like this: "I'm sorry, but I'm not legally allowed to give you that information unless I have written authorization from your son/daughter. I'd be happy to speak directly with your son/daughter about ___, if they would like to come and talk to me."

You're doing the right thing by keeping the information private. If you're not sure about the exact legal rules, or whether your boss will back you up, then speak to your boss; if your boss is doing their job correctly, they'll say "Yes, Violagirl, you did the right thing by keeping the information private; well done."

I know it's hard talking to irate parents, though. They sometimes don't realize that their baby has become an adult whose privacy is protected by law.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I deal with a lot of anxiety in my current job. I work in a University clinic where I process insurance policies for University students. One issue I run into time and time again is parents that call on behalf of their students about what they are charged, what their benefits are, etc and it leading to confrontation when parents are told we can't share specific information to them due to HIPAA laws. I had one parent get on my case last week and now I'm worried about getting in trouble at my job. I'm looking for prayers that everything turns okay and if anyone could say prayers for me Id appreciate it.

P!overwing is right. Double. Heck with your boss that you are doing your job properly.
Also if parents are threatening or intimidating you, make a note of what they said and when.

You are there to help the students so warn threatening parents that you do not have to put up with the language, if they continue tell them there language, attitude is unacceptable and you are terminating the call. Put the phone down and record what they were saying, your action on the file.

Tell your boss that you will warn and end all calls that are intimidating or abusive.

Upvote 0