South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This makes me wonder. If drug and alcohol addiction are not issues of character, then why do some people believe that they are not going to Heaven when they die? Are drug and alcohol addictions forms of idolatry since they rule the addicts' lives instead of Jesus? My point is, when did addictions become illnesses that need to be treated instead of issues of sin? Does it seem rather mean to assume that someone with a said illness like addiction will have their part in the Lake of Fire?

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My cousin deliberately destroyed her life with drugs. Her addictions drove her to commit further and further offenses against not only herself, but her son and her mother as well. When you plan to die and intentionally create legal obstacles for your own mother after your death, and when you try to get her in trouble with drug dealers to whom you owe money, and when you steal from her to feed your addiction, it has crossed over into becoming an issue of character.

She died ignominiously. It's a sad waste of talent, and yes I do miss her. I wish she had chosen a better path, which was there for the taking all along.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Addiction is an illness. This has been a known fact for some time now. Alcohol/drugs have hijacked a portion of the sick persons brain and as long as they continue to use their substance of choice they will get worse and worse. The funny thing is the answer to addiction or the "cure" what has worked for literally millions of users is a spiritual solution. The 12 steps of AA (Alcoholics Anonymous). In the steps it say you must "turn your will and life over to the care of god as you understand him." among other spiritual principles. You go to meetings and get a sponsor and it works but you MUST follow those spiritual principles laid out in the twelve steps. Many drug and alcohol users aren't willing to give it a try and try to do it on their own. It almost never works. The brain is hijacked and the only one that can save them is God and other sober people. I tell you this from experience. Nobody has come up with a program that has saved lives like AA and God is at the heart of it along with one drunk helping another or NA for drug users (Narcotics Anonymous). It's not idolatry, it is a chemical reaction in the brain that cannot be stopped by the user alone. All the research and ll the books will tell you "willpower" does not exist in this situation. Many times they themselves don't even want to be doing what they are doing but don't know how to or can't stop. They can't be blamed for having an addiction but they can be blamed for not getting help if it's available. It is okay to let them feel the consequences of their choice to continue to use. Being addicted is not an excuse to use just a reason. The person has to want to get help or they never will change.

Upvote 0