Wonderful Weeks...

Nakiah4Yeshua

On your walls, Yerushalayim, I have set Watchmen !
Mar 19, 2006
Santa Maria, California (Central Coast)
Visit site
✟9,717.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am new to the messianic movement but have been jumping in with both feet. I would like to know how some of you celebrated the L-RD's festival of Shavuot.

TRADITIONS
My group is made of particularily young believers and we didn't find much in our research about this week. We planned a picnic and read the book of Ruth. [Some of us even stayed up all night to talk about the L-RD, to read scripture and to pray...-- Fortunately "memorial day" falls the same weekend so we didn't have to work today.] However, we would like to know more, should Messiah tarry and we are here to celebrate it next year. Please share your thoughts and experiences with us.

TIMING
We also were in debate about the actual timing. Most of our orthodox calendars stated that Shavuot would be on Wed of last week while Scripture (Lev 23 and so on) declares it always the day after Shabbat, on the "first day of the week" (AKA: sunday). Apparently most traditional Jews have begun counting the Omer from the High Shabbat of passover instead of the actual 7th day of the week. Our speculation is that the fathers around the time of yavneh did this to differentiate themselves from the Gentile Christians who set apart the first day of the week for worship. (Who chose to change G-d's Sabbath for "sun-day" to differentiate themselves from the Jews in extreme and tragic anti-semitism.) Does anyone know the actual history of the change? :scratch:

SOD
Apart from the first-fruits, harvest, the omer, the giving of Torah and then the giving of Ruach HaKodesh, all tied in with Ruth and the inclusion (grafting in) of the goyim into the Covenant, is there any other deeper meaning (Sod) ya'll may have discovered for Shavuot... I'd love to hear 'em.

Toda Raba,

Naki 4 Yeshua!!!

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟576,108.44
Faith
Messianic
I am of the opinion that first fruits falls on the weel;y sabbath after passover and therefore both first fruits and pentecost/Shavuot will always fall on sunday.

I know of the tradition that you speak of where it has been declared that the first day of unleaven bread is the sabbath of scripture from which to calculate the first fruits and the shavuot.

Here is why I pick the one I did...

"on the first day of the week"

Matthew 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

Mark 16:2 And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.

Mark 16:9 Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.

Luke 24:1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.

John 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

John 20:19 Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
I think we call agree that Yeshua rose on the first fruits and scripture says it was also the first day of the week. While this doesn't prove that the counting of the Omer will always start on th first day of the week. It did occur that year.

Upvote 0

Nakiah4Yeshua

Mar 19, 2006
Visit site
✟9,717.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank You, visionary...
that was my understanding as well. :sorry: I just didn't want to buck off twenty something centuries of "Tradition" without any input.:)

Anyone else have Shavuot stories or customs to share?:tutu:

Upvote 0

Nakiah4Yeshua

Mar 19, 2006
Visit site
✟9,717.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hey, Virginia - OK are all those children yours? :eek: :D

Well, I celebrated quietly by reading Ruth and then getting together with non-MJ family who read me the riot act for the umpteenth time for putting myself under the law. :( :sigh:
Hey content,

I understand what you mean about the family thing... even my other christian family thinks I've jumped off the deep end, the seculars already did.... lol

PS: I am a school bus driver... that's where all the kids are from. :D

--Naki 4 Yeshua

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟576,108.44
Faith
Messianic
Here is the traditional..
http://www.chabad.org/library/article.asp?AID=519870

I had a experience that I thought was wonderful and you talking about the picnic reminded me of the experience. The group of us believers gathered together for the weekend at a lodge where it was all to ourselves away from the world. The weekend was dedicated to prayer and prepentance and preparation to experience the Holy Spirit that the disciples experienced. Much prayer and study on the subject of the work of the Holy Spirit and the preparation of the heart for the experience was made. We were not after the outward reactions like speaking in tongues, but more of the rich experiences that the Moses spoke of. Gifts of prophecy, discernment, etc which were more of the edification of the body. The Lord did send His Holy Spirit. I wish I could say that it was wonderful, but we had a leader who in fear stopped the prayers. The leader was not prepared for such reality... so sad.

Upvote 0