Veteran
Feb 14, 2002
State College, PA
Visit site
✟16,583.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Hi Caley,
In all fairness to this man's murderers, they were told erroneous information by some Iraqi busibodies who got that man killed.

But murder is still murder. The heart of peace within me tells me that this is wrong, and certainly not the working of Christ. The Church must be more discerning.

Love your quote.

Upvote 0

Mother Vashti

Veteran
Feb 14, 2002
State College, PA
Visit site
✟16,583.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Paul, I agree that torturing and gassing people to death is absolutely heinous. But I'm not sure how shooting them to, er, a liberating death is the work of Saints.

Besides, I doubt our president's intentions have a lot to do with clemency and little to do with oil profits.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is why Bush says we aren't there to be a police force.

When US soldiers approached the area, the looters told them that the shopkeeper was a member of Saddam Hussein Fedayeen paramilitary force.

Paul, I agree that torturing and gassing people to death is absolutely heinous. But I'm not sure how shooting them to, er, a liberating death is the work of Saints.

Besides, I doubt our president's intentions have a lot to do with clemency and little to do with oil profits.

Come on people, read the story objectionably and not with bias in your heart! For one thing US soldiers are not considered saints but real human beings that make mistakes. These soldiers thought they were fireing on a Fedayeen paramilitary who was putting people in harm with perhaps the intent to shoot those looters to death.

Upvote 0

Greeter

The Space Invaders did not get by on me!
May 27, 2002
Pompano Beach, Fl
Visit site
✟29,474.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Libertarian
Today at 03:43 AM Susan said this in Post #5

That's murder. . .no matter what you want to call it.

It is too easy for us to judge others without having walked in their footsteps.  Our soldiers are human beings with the ability to make mistakes.  Based on what they were told they acted and someone died, possibly even wrongly.  Before we judge them as murderers let's hear their side of it, if it even goes to trial.  Our soldiers are citizens of the United States of America.  Even though the judicial system works a little differently for the military, those within it are innocent until proven guilty.

Upvote 0

Dewjunkie

Apr 1, 2002
Asheville, NC
Visit site
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian
Once again, people who have never been in a situation providing opinions based on loose reports from a place 13,000 miles away. Unless you were standing with the troops when they fired, you don't know all of the details, and can't determine why they fired. Nor can you say that all Iraqis hate us because of a decision made in a place where chaos is rampant right now.

But thank you for the baseless anti-American, anti-military banter.

Upvote 0

Mother Vashti

Veteran
Feb 14, 2002
State College, PA
Visit site
✟16,583.00
Faith
Anabaptist
[]Yesterday at 07:09 AM Mother Vashti said this in Post #2

Hi Caley,
In all fairness to this man's murderers, they were told erroneous information by some Iraqi busibodies who got that man killed.

But murder is still murder. The heart of peace within me tells me that this is wrong, and certainly not the working of Christ. The Church must be more discerning.

Love your quote.
[/B]

I'm sticking to my original position.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

D.C

Knight Protector
Dec 21, 2002
Waterloo, Iowa
Visit site
✟296.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

That's murder. . .no matter what you want to call it.

Its called WAR, accidents and mistakes happen!

Like the others said, read the story and think about the conditions and situation the soldiers are in before you make a snap judgement based on an article that barely breaks 100 words.

As for the quote caley made, heres my take on it,

With christians so willing to judge others, who needs God to do it.

Yes its sarcastic, but its true. I see to many people who claim to be Christians  running around this planet acting like they have all the answers and also judgeing others and passing out condemnations like candy. A little piece of advice I like to give to those people is "Why dont you S2 and let God do his job, because  the ones who claim to know it all, actually know very little and in the process end of doing more damage then good!!!"

Upvote 0

Mother Vashti

Veteran
Feb 14, 2002
State College, PA
Visit site
✟16,583.00
Faith
Anabaptist
DC, I don't understand why that anecdote doesn't apply to those who judge the deaths of Iraqis to be acceptable. Since when did Christians ally themselves with the attitude "the ends justify the means"?

Again, it's just my personal opinion; don't get blue in the face. :)

Upvote 0

paulewog

Father of Insanity; Child of Music.
Mar 23, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟33,938.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
it's not murder, Susan. :) God TOLD the Israelites to "murder," if it is. So apparently it's not murder. ;)

The war isn't about oil profits. Yes, I'm sure the oil prices might go down when Hussein is not controlling them anymore, but this war is not about oil, and it never has been. We could haev taken it earlier if we wanted it (like... a while ago...). I don't know where people get that idea... people like to doubt Bush I guess :)

Anyways - killing people for what they have done is Biblical, even commanded. And that authority is given to governments. In this case, we have a country that's treating their people like dirt. I know, he's not Hitler, but he sure treats his people like them.

Out of curiosity - if you were an Iraqi, under opression... wouldn't you want to be liberated? Or would you still be for "peace" and ... uh .... opression. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MSBS

Jul 29, 2002
California
✟10,591.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Guess what? Soldiers are not cops. This shows the rather large difference between a policeman and a soldier. Soldiers are trained to kill people with as little risk to themselves as possible. Police, on the other hand are trained to diffuse situations and resort to deadly force only as a last resort. The US does have MP units trained for this kind of duty, but they are apparently not in place yet-- so we get infantrymen trying to be cops and this is the results. It's lousy, but we can expect more of this kind of thing until regular policing gets put back together.

Upvote 0