Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I used to be a Baptist and I am sure that they didn't allow that, as I only seen male pastors (well, there was only 1 - the preacher.) There was a youth minister too and he was pretty nice (he was also a male as you can guess because I used 'he' to describe him.)

I seen male elders too and I believe they only allowed males to do that as well. This is coming from someone who went to a Southern Baptist Church and used to be apart of them. It may be different for other Baptist denominations but this is what I know about it all and what I seen. Women, as far as I am aware, had their special place in sewing circles where it was women only and they would make blankets for people who recovered from a virus or perhaps they had a baby or they came out of a coma or surgery or something wonderful like that and they would make them a very special blanket and it would be from the church. Other than that, I don't really know anything that had to do with the women.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Broken Fence
Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What do Baptists believe about female priesthood?
It's based upon this..
1st Tim 2...
8I desire then that in every place the men should pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling; 9likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, 10but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works. 11Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. 12I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. 13For Adam was formed first, then Eve; 14and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. 15Yet she will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith and love and holiness, with self-control.

A female priesthood...or pastor...would put a women in the position to teach or exercise authority over a man.

Upvote 0

SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's based upon this..
1st Tim 2...
8I desire then that in every place the men should pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling; 9likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, 10but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works. 11Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. 12I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. 13For Adam was formed first, then Eve; 14and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. 15Yet she will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith and love and holiness, with self-control.

A female priesthood...or pastor...would put a women in the position to teach or exercise authority over a man.
Agreed- the post I made was for what some Baptists believe, I do know it varies from Church to Church

Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The Baptists teach the priesthood of the believer. That includes all believers, male and female.

1 Peter 2:5
1 Peter 2:9
Revelation 1:6
Revelation 5:10

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
The autonomy of the local church tends to be a major doctrine of most Baptist churches and denominations, so it's going to be up to the individual church as to who they ordain as a pastor. I do know women who have been ordained even in the Southern Baptist denomination, but whether or not they then find a church that will hire them is a different step in the process. (It may be easier nowadays than it used to with so many churches desperate to find a pastor in many areas.) One of my pastor mentors in my district is an ordained Southern Baptist minister, but she currently pastors a United Methodist church.

I don't think any two Baptist churches, even within the same denomination, are going to be the same because that church autonomy thing is important!

I grew up Southern Baptist and some other Baptists I came across over the years sometimes seemed as if they existed on a whole different planet. :)

Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
It's based upon this..
1st Tim 2...

Not all Baptists believe this. For instance, Cooperative Baptist Fellowship interprets 1 Tim 2:12 differently and does allow women to be pastors.

Upvote 0

SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Not all Baptists believe this. For instance, Cooperative Baptist Fellowship interprets 1 Tim 2:12 differently and does allow women to be pastors.
How do they interrupt it?

Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
How do they interrupt it?

There are various ways to look at it. My belief is that when the passage changes from plural to singular in v 11, it begins speaking about married couples. You'll find this possibility in the marginal notes of the NIV and NRSV. Here is the Common English Bible:

1 Timothy 2:11-15 (CEB)
A wife should learn quietly with complete submission. I don’t allow a wife to teach or to control her husband. Instead, she should be a quiet listener. Adam was formed first, and then Eve. Adam wasn’t deceived, but rather his wife became the one who stepped over the line because she was completely deceived. But a wife will be brought safely through childbirth, if they both continue in faith, love, and holiness, together with self-control.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The OP asked why...I simply gave a reason...I didn't defend nor challenge it.

Reactions: Gregorikos
Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Baptists teach the priesthood of the believer. That includes all believers, male and female.

1 Peter 2:5
1 Peter 2:9
Revelation 1:6
Revelation 5:10

I agree....I was under the impression the OP was asking about women pastors.

Reactions: Gregorikos
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,733.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @SeekingGloryOnThisJourney, as a quick aside (and just FYI :)), unlike the EOC, OOC and RCC, the various Protestant denominations/churches ordain "pastors" (typically/historically male) not "priests". The reasons for pastors instead of priests are (at least) two-fold, as we believe that:

1. Jesus, as our great high Priest, offered Himself as a sacrifice "once for all" (both forever & for all people) .. 1 Peter 3:18 and that,

2. Jesus Himself is now our Advocate/Mediator .. e.g. 1 John 2:1-2, so we go directly to Him and have no need of a (human) priest to make an appeal to the Father for us (like the priests did for the people of Israel in the OT, for instance).
Question, is Sacerdotalism a practice/belief & term that is associated with the RCC alone, or does the EOC (and OOC) have a similar practice/belief & terminology (concerning the necessity of a priesthood to perform certain church functions, such as the two I mentioned above)?

--David

Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

In general, the more liberal Baptist groups will have female pastors, and the more conservative Baptist groups (those believing in Biblical inerrancy) will not.

I believe that the CBF split from the SBC over exactly this issue, back in 1990.

But most Baptists I've met don't conceptualise pastors as being "priests." The New Testament talks about "shepherds" and "overseers." Baptists generally see their pastors as continuations of those (indeed, "pastor" means "shepherd").

• Agree
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It's not only baptists you should be addressing the question to, it should be every denomination. I do not believe a woman should become a Priest/minister or even a Bishop/Elder. We have enough problems within Christianity we don't need anymore, but its God's divine will that this is taking place. I pray people will not be lead astray and seek Christ with all their heart, mind and soul and allow his spirit to indwell within them so they may be directed by the scripture and not the spirit of man.

God bless

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's not only baptists you should be addressing the question to, it should be every denomination.

Pentecostal denominations seem to conceptualise their clergy as prophets (and there is Biblical support for female prophets).

So the primary question is really: what exactly are your clergy, and which Bible passages apply to them?

Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Pentecostal denominations seem to conceptualise their clergy as prophets (and there is Biblical support for female prophets).

So the primary question is really: what exactly are your clergy, and which Bible passages apply to them?

1 Peter 5 would be the ordination of an elder/bishop. There are others in the book which state its a mans duty, and the woman to be the head of the household, looking after the family, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1 Peter 5

That is one of the many passages that describes church leaders as elders (presbyteroi) and shepherds = pastors.

Baptists, like several other denominations (e.g. Presbyterians), base their conceptualisation of church leadership on exactly those passages.

Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is one of the many passages that describes church leaders as elders (presbyteroi) and shepherds = pastors.

Baptists, like several other denominations (e.g. Presbyterians), base their conceptualisation of church leadership on exactly those passages.

There's more to it though. It starts within the home. If there's a father and he's a church going man, he should bring up his children in such manner, the wife is his support (but he shouldn't think he's above her). That house could end up a happy house, seeking the Lord and loving him.

today we have so much disruption happening in our countries, it may be time to step in and help the widows, the fatherless, the orphans, the poor, etc. The Government system puts them from place to place and they don't know what's happening, they have no comfort, its disgraceful to be honest.

God bless

Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0