Bowdon, Ga.
✟2,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
First, Romans 16:1 doesn't really prove your point. True, Pheobe is mentioned as a deacon. However, it doesn't mean that Paul approved.

Second, deacons are considered to be leaders. They are not above the pastor, but they are assistants to the pastor. That is a type of leader.

That one verse in Romans can't possibly override the 6 verses in 1 Timothy 3.

You are assuming by mans doctrine that the Deacons are to take an authorities role in the Church.
You didn't do what I suggested, find where the first deacons were ordained, and you will see that the job of the deacons is to wait on tables. That is, see to the care of the widows and orphans.
We are talking what the Bible says, not denomination doctrine.

Upvote 0

MbiaJc

Veteran
Jul 9, 2004
Bowdon, Ga.
✟2,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
First, Romans 16:1 doesn't really prove your point. True, Pheobe is mentioned as a deacon. However, it doesn't mean that Paul approved.

Second, deacons are considered to be leaders. They are not above the pastor, but they are assistants to the pastor. That is a type of leader.

That one verse in Romans can't possibly override the 6 verses in 1 Timothy 3.

Quote:
A woman can serve as deaconess(servent) of the church, which is not a leader ship role. Deacon is not a leadership role either, see why they were first apointed for?

This was not my quote.

The reading in Timothy may reference a specific problem in Timothy's church. If not, then we still have the problem by one verse that contradicts Pauline thinking on deacons......"husband of one wife"?????? Phebe was female!!!!

Cheers,

Jim

This would not be a problem for me, in the womans case, it would be, a wife of one husband!

Upvote 0

S.T.A.R.S.

Dec 9, 2004
Virginia
Visit site
✟183.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I see people keep throwing I Tim 3. So tell me is this true about that chapter:

1) Must be a man
2) Must be married w/ children (never divorced, separated or have problem kids)

Which means some disqualifiers for being ordained are:
1) You're a female
2) You're a man that has never been married
3) You're a man that is married but have no children
4) You're a man that is divorced
5) You're a man that is separated (legality doesn't matter) with your wife
6) You're married with a good relationship with your wife but not with your children
7) You're married with a good relationship with your wife and kids but your children are bad

**If you believe those are disqualifiers, I stand beside you (agree to disagree) with your view of women not being ordained. If you don't believe those are disqualifiers, then you're doing the same thing that you're accusing all the supporters of ordained women.

Upvote 0

christian73

Theology Team
Aug 29, 2006
Florida
Visit site
✟17,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

1) Must be a man

1) You're a female
6) You're married with a good relationship with your wife but not with your children
7) You're married with a good relationship with your wife and kids but your children are bad

**If you believe those are disqualifiers, I stand beside you (agree to disagree) with your view of women not being ordained. If you don't believe those are disqualifiers, then you're doing the same thing that you're accusing all the supporters of ordained women.
I agree. Good post.

Upvote 0

edie19

Legend
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
NW Ohio (almost Michigan)
Visit site
✟91,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status

1) Must be a man

1) You're a female

I can't speak for others - only for my own experience. But I know for a fact that if either of my pastors separated/divorced they would resign their office at our church.

Along the same line if they had a child who was openly/actively choosing a sinful lifestyle they would resign (I'm the first to admit that I have trouble with that - we're instructed to teach our children but we aren't responsible for their regeneration/conversion).

As far as being unmarried and/or without children - that came up when our 2nd pastor was ordained (he was married but at that time without children). Paul isn't requiring that a pastor be married - but he is requiring fidelity if married. Similarly, regarding children (the household) he needs to be active in the daily life of his home - not leaving things such as discipline and/or the spiritual lives of his children to his wife.

Upvote 0

christian73

Theology Team
Aug 29, 2006
Florida
Visit site
✟17,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Along the same line if they had a child who was openly/actively choosing a sinful lifestyle they would resign (I'm the first to admit that I have trouble with that - we're instructed to teach our children but we aren't responsible for their regeneration/conversion).

I had a pastor once who had a grown son who was involved in a sinful lifestyle and just dismissed it. I know you can't control what your children do, but you should at least talk to them. This pastor didn't even do that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

edie19

Legend
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
Visit site
✟91,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
However I Tim 3 states that the person must be have one wife. So for being elder/deacon, it seems they must be married.

There is a difference between saying that a person must be a faithful husband and that he must be a husband. The Scripture is saying he must be faithful (not divorced, separated or adulterous).

Reactions: Erinwilcox
Upvote 0

christian73

Theology Team
Aug 29, 2006
Florida
Visit site
✟17,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
However I Tim 3 states that the person must be have one wife. So for being elder/deacon, it seems they must be married.
Question for you: Was Paul married? Was Timothy? If not, then how could Paul tell Timothy that a elder/deacon must be married?

And consider this. In 1 Corinthians 6, Paul says that it is better for a man to stay single. But he also says in that passage that if you must marry, then marry. If a deacon/elder must ber married, wouldn't that contradict what Paul said in 1 Corinthians?

Upvote 0

JacobHall86

Calvin is 500 years old, Calvinism is eternal!
Apr 27, 2006
ATL
✟20,536.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Simon is the only Apostle I can think of that was married. So all of the leaders of the Early church were unBiblical, unless of course you take the Scriptures to mean what they were suppose to, and that it simply means fidelity.

Upvote 0

christian73

Theology Team
Aug 29, 2006
Florida
Visit site
✟17,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Simon is the only Apostle I can think of that was married. So all of the leaders of the Early church were unBiblical, unless of course you take the Scriptures to mean what they were suppose to, and that it simply means fidelity.

Exactly my point! Thanks:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

S.T.A.R.S.

Dec 9, 2004
Virginia
Visit site
✟183.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is a difference between saying that a person must be a faithful husband and that he must be a husband. The Scripture is saying he must be faithful (not divorced, separated or adulterous).

Thanks for your clarification. Also, where do you see the word or interpretation of "faithful" in that text or the implication that that portion was option. If you make anything in that section optional then you may be at risk of making the strictly male portion optional.

Upvote 0

JacobHall86

Calvin is 500 years old, Calvinism is eternal!
Apr 27, 2006
ATL
✟20,536.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So in 54 pages has there been an agreement reached yet on women Pastors?

LOL ;)

BTW, I believe women Pastors are unbiblical. Are the Baptist women Pastors only up north? I have never seen or heard of any in the South.

I grew up in a church with a women youth pastor and a women music minister. I knew no better, and when I did learn better I left and joined the Church I am at now. Im in GA btw.

Upvote 0

christian73

Theology Team
Aug 29, 2006
Florida
Visit site
✟17,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So in 54 pages has there been an agreement reached yet on women Pastors?

LOL ;)

BTW, I believe women Pastors are unbiblical. Are the Baptist women Pastors only up north? I have never seen or heard of any in the South.
Have you read all 54 pages? :)

Upvote 0

edie19

Legend
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
Visit site
✟91,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Thanks for your clarification. Also, where do you see the word or interpretation of "faithful" in that text or the implication that that portion was option. If you make anything in that section optional then you may be at risk of making the strictly male portion optional.

I see "faithful" in the 7th commandment. It isn't ever optional.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.