Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Yes but who says that because these people were men, that this "proves" that God cannot call women today to preach and teach? Sorry, I'm not writing this with an exasperated tone :) - if such a thing is possible; I just don't get it.

These people were all men, undoubtedly; but so what? They were all Jews too. Women were in the upper room after the ascension, hosted church gatherings, preached the Gospel and worked alongside Paul. When he went to Philippi he found some women gathered at the traditional place for prayer, and it has been said that Lydia may have been a founder member of that church. Of all the problems the early church had to face, it seems the question of what to do with women and whether to allow them a role in preaching the good News, was not one of them.
Jesus respected women and elevated them, the early church sought to do likewise and the church has been trying to follow this example - with varying degrees of success.

If we are going to love as Jesus loved, treat people how he treated them and follow his example, how can we then say to women, "when you become Christians you will have to subdue your God given talents and gifts of teaching and leadership, squash any call you may get from God and basically come to church to make the tea and look after the kids"? Or at least, how can we say those things and expect to reach out to women with God's love and make them feel valued? I went to a church like that once - for a few weeks; they wouldn't even let women take the offertory! Paul allowed women to pray, but this church didn't. They invited me to lunch once and I asked about it - the answer was something like "God's call is to men and he works through the men"!! :eek: I didn't go back.

Red above, but the Gentiles were always called in the OT, in fact Gen 12:3, and Gal 3:8 were about Gentiles. It does not say in the OT, that women would be apostles.:sorry:

All I can say, is that you do a fine job of defending your position, and you know the word of God well, and the forum is blessed to have you here!:)

We don't agree, but hey, no one ever said you are not allowed to share your faith, and I am sure you do that well.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Unfortunately, Christianity has long been used as an excuse for misogyny.

I find it funny that the MEN! of the church were afraid and hiding while the women were out proclaiming the Good News that Jesus was alive.
Galatians 3:28 (KJV)
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
:cool:

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

I find it funny that the MEN! of the church were afraid and hiding while the women were out proclaiming the Good News that Jesus was alive.
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

you verse is about salvation issues, however there is text that also supports church life.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

Yuppers! The woman at the well too...the disciples were concerned that Jesus did not realize "who" that woman he was talking to was. Meanwhile she went back to her town and proclaimed the news of a man who'd told her all about herself and then brought them all back, including men, to hear Jesus for themselves. What a great God we serve that He uses whom He pleases. :clap:

Upvote 0

stormdancer0

Do not be so open-minded that your brain falls out
Apr 19, 2008
USA
✟14,334.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Then the question I have for everyone, is Why did Paul not allow a woman to teach ?
Paul was speaking to a specific church regarding a specific problem - women interrupting the service asking questions.

In Timothy, he states that he does not allow a woman to teach. But he was always so very careful as to how he worded things. He did not say that God did not allow a woman to preach. He said that he, Paul, did not agree with a woman to preach.

Upvote 0

stormdancer0

Apr 19, 2008
USA
✟14,334.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Women taught, they evangelized. They were Jesus' strongest supporters. And to be fair. Look around at church. Who does most of the work? How many men are there, compared to women.

God called me to be a pastor several years ago. If anyone has a problem with that, they are welcome to take it up with Him. I have no problem making sure that a male pastor is over me, because that's how God set it up. Just like my husband is the head of my household, period. But just because I'm not the last word at the church does not mean I am not anointed and called of God.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,396.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Women taught, they evangelized. They were Jesus' strongest supporters. And to be fair. Look around at church. Who does most of the work? How many men are there, compared to women.

God called me to be a pastor several years ago. If anyone has a problem with that, they are welcome to take it up with Him. I have no problem making sure that a male pastor is over me, because that's how God set it up. Just like my husband is the head of my household, period. But just because I'm not the last word at the church does not mean I am not anointed and called of God.

:amen: Great post.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
posted: basically come to church to make the tea and look after the kids?

That makes an interesting point - at what age do the women become unacceptable as teachers for the kids? For years, she's been considered to be a strong, positive influence on the kids' and in an important area of their lives. Now that the kids have gotten older, now it's forbidden? But that wasn't the view while they were in Sunday School or children's ministry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

missmarple

Mar 1, 2013
Canada
✟15,288.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
most spirit-filled churches have women in ministry and most non spirit filled churches dont...what does that tell you? those who are able to hear the Lord speak and dont just read bible verses using their intellect alone to understand it, have no problem with women in leadership including pastors prophets evangelists and teachers and apostles. the five fold ministry isnt just for men. its for the body of Christ. only satan would try to SILENCE half the body of Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

camphigrades

Grace wins.
Mar 26, 2013
Florida, USA
✟8,022.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
most spirit-filled churches have women in ministry and most non spirit filled churches dont...what does that tell you? those who are able to hear the Lord speak and dont just read bible verses using their intellect alone to understand it, have no problem with women in leadership including pastors prophets evangelists and teachers and apostles. the five fold ministry isnt just for men. its for the body of Christ. only satan would try to SILENCE half the body of Christ.
Very well-stated.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,396.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
posted: basically come to church to make the tea and look after the kids?

That makes an interesting point - at what age do the women become unacceptable as teachers for the kids? For years, she's been considered to be a strong, positive influence on the kids' and in an important area of their lives. Now that the kids have gotten older, now it's forbidden? But that wasn't the view while they were in Sunday School or children's ministry.

Indeed, Tturt.
To me, if someone sincerely believes Scripture says that a woman shouldn't teach, then a woman shouldn't teach - not other women, not children, not girls only; no one.
It doesn't make sense, and indeed seems hypocritical, to say that it's ok for women to teach boys up to a certain age, but not beyond - because at that point they are men and women can't teach men.

It seems that Timothy owed much of his faith, and maybe ministry, to his mother and grandmother (2 Tim 1:5.)

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,396.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well said. :)

Upvote 0

Missyjojo88

Mar 26, 2005
Connecticut
Visit site
✟19,679.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I'm a woman who believes that a woman should not be the head of the church though I believe that woman can be called to be Prophet, Evangelist, Teacher, etc. I have received dreams in the past to do with being called by God. I even had one to do with speaking to a huge audience in a church and giving them words of encouragement. I also had a dream where a woman was preaching and stated that God is looking for an eagle. My mother was pointing at me while I was shaking my head and saying no. I also had a dream where I heard a voice say Bishop followed by a man's name (I don't remember). Then my name was called. I had many such dreams about being called to do something by God like helping fishes out of turbulent or poisonous water.

A woman in my church who God uses in word of knowledge, wisdom, and prophecy told me God is calling to ministry. The pastor's wife also agreed with her and says she sees the same thing for me. Lately God has told me that he ordained me. Sometimes God says he commissioned me, and sometimes he says he convoked me. I am trying to understand what God means by convoking me. I also wanted to know why would he say he ordained me? What type of ministry can a person be ordained in other than a pastor because just the thought of marrying a pastor (many people keep telling me they see me marrying a pastor) or even being called as one is the worst thing in my book. Again I would be very uncomfortable as a woman to be a pastor so I became a bit fearful to hear God speak about ordaining me. But the whole Bishop dream had me a little suspicious. Can a person be ordained in other ministries which have nothing to do with being a pastor please let me know?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Ok ladies, what is so bad about a woman just cooking :stew::bread:?

You can make fine deserts...:shortcake:

You can take the kids out for the day and enjoy nature..:bee:..

You can look at a snowflake under a microscope, it is awesome!:snowflake:

In the winter, mom can make snowmen with the kids..:snowman:

Please try to hear:ear: what I am saying. All I am saying is, the natural maternal order is just fine, enjoy being a woman, and enjoy the tasks that mom's do:), and let the men do the task of what the apostles were called to do. There were no women apostles for a reason, the original 12 were men for a reason.

Thanks! be blessed, frog!:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

missmarple

Mar 1, 2013
Canada
✟15,288.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
there are many women apostles today. powerful women in ministry, anointed of God, doing awesome works of God. Heidi Baker is one. She sees blind eyes opened deaf hear dead are raised and that is COMMON in her minstry. She has established thousands of churches, won entire muslim villages to Christ. Isabel Alum is another, she used to be my pastor. she was in a restaurant one time and as people came in, they saw her, they fell on their knees repenting asking God for forgivensss, and she never said a word. Bree Keyton is another one, powerful woman of God, a missionary in the congo. I could go on and on listing names of women apostles prophets evangelists pastors and teachers. God uses both men and women equally for in the spirit there is no difference.

Reactions: HonestTruth
Upvote 0

HonestTruth

Jul 4, 2013
Reaganomics: TOTAL FAIL
✟9,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm a woman who believes that a woman should not be the head of the church though I believe that woman can be called to be Prophet, Evangelist, Teacher, etc. I have received dreams in the past to do with being called by God. I even had one to do with speaking to a huge audience in a church and giving them words of encouragement. I also had a dream where a woman was preaching and stated that God is looking for an eagle. My mother was pointing at me while I was shaking my head and saying no. I also had a dream where I heard a voice say Bishop followed by a man's name (I don't remember). Then my name was called. I had many such dreams about being called to do something by God like helping fishes out of turbulent or poisonous water.

A woman in my church who God uses in word of knowledge, wisdom, and prophecy told me God is calling to ministry. The pastor's wife also agreed with her and says she sees the same thing for me. Lately God has told me that he ordained me. Sometimes God says he commissioned me, and sometimes he says he convoked me. I am trying to understand what God means by convoking me. I also wanted to know why would he say he ordained me? What type of ministry can a person be ordained in other than a pastor because just the thought of marrying a pastor (many people keep telling me they see me marrying a pastor) or even being called as one is the worst thing in my book. Again I would be very uncomfortable as a woman to be a pastor so I became a bit fearful to hear God speak about ordaining me. But the whole Bishop dream had me a little suspicious. Can a person be ordained in other ministries which have nothing to do with being a pastor please let me know?

convoke = all it means God is calling you

Women can be leaders in churches since a church by New Testament teaching means a gathering of people in Jesus's name. It does not mean a building as so many Christians believe. There is indication in the NT that many home based churches were headed by women:

http://godswordtowomen.org/pastors.htm

Perhaps this is why you are being convoked - you are to start a home based church and lead it. Members of both genders and children should be part of the congregation.

Reactions: missmarple
Upvote 0

stormdancer0

Apr 19, 2008
USA
✟14,334.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

If you werent scared, I'd tell you to take another look at it. It is VERY frightening to stand in front of a group of people and say, "I speak for God." Yes, there are many positions you can have and be ordained of God. Being ordained means you are chosen to do a specific task for God. If He has truly ordained you, the way will be made know. I wouldn't worry about it.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,396.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok ladies, what is so bad about a woman just cooking :stew::bread:?

Nothing, if that's what you enjoy doing. Some women do; some men do too, in fact there are a number of male chefs.

You can make fine deserts...:shortcake:

Except that there is no one to eat them - and I hate cooking.

You can take the kids out for the day and enjoy nature..:bee:..

I don't have any kids.

Please try to hear:ear: what I am saying. All I am saying is, the natural maternal order is just fine, enjoy being a woman, and enjoy the tasks that mom's do,

I'm not a mother. I am not called to look after kids; I have been called to serve the Lord in other ways.

and let the men do the task of what the apostles were called to do. There were no women apostles for a reason, the original 12 were men for a reason.

The original 12 were circumcised Jews for a reason too.
Sorry but, at best, this is all rather sexist, and I hope you're jesting/trying to wind me up.

God can and does call women to do all sorts of things, and always has.
Miriam, Deborah, Huldah, Isaiah's wife, Philip's daughters and others were prophetesses and gave people, men, words from the Lord; words which changed their lives in the case of Huldah and Josiah.
Esther was queen, and used by God to save the Jews from destruction. She used what God had given her - her natural beauty - to reach the king and get through to him. She even risked her life, as she actually approached him without permission, and talked with him.
Naaman was cured of his leprosy because a slave girl told her mistress about the prophet (Elisha) who could help him.
In Jesus' day, women followed him and supported him financially (Luke 8:3.) Jesus healed women, taught them and forgave them. He made himself ceremonially unclean when he allowed the woman with the issue of blood to touch him, and allowed other women to anoint him and wipe his feet with their hair. He spoke to the woman at the well, and she went back to her town and told people she had met the Messiah. This resulted in people coming to see Jesus and believing.
It was the women who stood at the cross as Jesus died, women who went to the tomb to anoint the body, and Jesus chose women to be the first witnesses of the resurrection. In the early church, women were in the upper room after the ascension, women allowed the church to meet in their homes, worked alongside Paul, carried at least one of his letters to another church, were deaconesses, deacons, teachers. They did what God called them to do, and have been doing ever since.

God has not called me to be a Minister/Pastor but he has called me to preach his word, so that is what I do. Some women do this AND look after their children. Some men may do so too; there are one parent families around and it is the father who is the single parent.

Reactions: missmarple
Upvote 0