Without Human Existence, Does God Need to Be Good?

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't have the position or authority to define that, nor does anyone else.. However we can look at Gods revelation of himself to mankind in the person and work of Jesus Christ, and get a pretty good idea of what Gods nature and "goodness" look like.

Hello Reformed Lutheran,

I just want to tip-toe in here real quick and let you know that this section is specifically a Philosophy section in which Christian Apologetics is off-limits. Not because I say so, but because the guidelines of this website delineate this rule.

So, while I really do appreciate your basic theological position, you are running precipitously close to engaging in Apologetics with some of the other contributors on my thread. Please try to keep your discussion/debate at a more abstract, philosophical level without making further recourse to Christian Theology Proper and/or its direct defense (a tiny reference here or there probably isn't a problem; but an entire post devoted to defending a specifically Christian position is).

This way, my thread doesn't get closed because some well-meaning brethren (such as yourself) have entered in and derailed this thread's intent.

If you want to begin a related thread on this kind of topic, you can do so over on the "Christian Philosophy" section of this website.

Thank you for your cooperation.

In Christ,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Understood. I appreciate your candor. :)
God is a spirit. Isn't everything else our doing in trying to put that in a box we can possess our own selves?

...to some extent, I'd say that, yes, we often try to put our god-entity in a box, which is a concept that seems to go against the grain of not only Christian faith, but also of what can likely be accomplished on a purely epistemological and/or metaphysical (and maybe even axiological) level. It's really hard to squeeze the unfathomable, of course, although for the context of my OP, we can't really even define that the divine is a spirit (...that requires revelation for us to even begin to fathom, more or less.) :)

Thank you for your thoughts on this...

2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
isnt the concepts of "good and evil" a human judgement and human interpretation . God just IS , just like we just exist - others determine our quality and determine us to be good or bad . without judgement or interpretation God just IS and indeed i have heard many atheists insist that God must be bad for this or that reason.

Moses asked Gods name and God replied I Am that I Am , despite that we call God God as well as many other names by different people throughout the world and we have chosen to give and attribute many human things to Him . We are able to know God a little through a personal relationship with Him He can communicate and reveal Himself but i do not think any of us can have complete knowledge of Gods attributes and personality or even grasp with our human minds most of Him .

Yes, Jenny. I think you're catching on to what I'm getting at in the OP. Thank you for explaining your thoughts on this. :)

2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've thought about what godhood would entail unto itself ...and I never come up with a pretty picture. As to the OP, I think a few other posters have touched on the right answer... A being that is alone ...solitary...has little use for terms like good/evil. Let's modify your subject for a moment...

Suppose we're speaking about the last human on earth. Does he have use for moral concepts like good and bad? If so...only in a very limited capacity, right? He might think that it was bad that he didn't try to save a kitty with a broken leg instead of finishing it off and eating it. I would seriously doubt he'd hang onto these moral opinions though since he has no one to justify his actions to.

Going back to god...we need not imagine any other life around him for him to survive. He's utterly alone. Assuming that you're speaking about the kind of god that christians usually describe as existing (immaterial, eternal, omniscient, omnipotent, unchanging, etc) he would have even less use of moral values/opinions. I would imagine that he's without emotions of any kind...he lacks any neurons, synapses, hormones, endorphins or even any stimulus to react to...so I cannot picture him with any emotions. As such, he cannot even "feel bad/good" about anything he does...which denies him even the most basic kinds of moral opinions. He knows every choice he will make (if indeed he makes choices)...and he knows the consequences of these actions long before he does any action. So it's not as if he performs an action with any considerations for "good/bad"...what could possibly be good/evil to such a being?

Welcome aboard, then, to abstract god-ism, Ana.

I think a number of us are moving along toward a conclusion that a god-entity who is isolated beyond our time and space, even 'before' we came into being through whatever processes, whether via some sort of creation or non-theological evolution, is one who "has little use for terms like good/evil" as far as His own person is concerned. Now, I think there is a caveat that because we really can't say "yay" or "nay" specifically either way from a human standpoint, we can leave open the possibility that an isolated god-entity could intrinsically possess some kind of good (or even evil) bent...without us of course knowing that.

However, in looking at your comment about "the Omega Man," I'm not sure I can agree that such a scenario is truly analogous to an isolated god-entity. The problem is that an Omega Man wouldn't necessarily "know" that he is the last man on earth, so we can't fully attribute to him that he is fully isolated in the truest sense. Of course, your Omega Man could eat a kitty (how sad! :( ), but it is also possible that he could keep that kitty for company in the face of what might be impending doom anyway. He might even create for the kitty a little space with various 'kitty amenities,' just because he's fond of the new found companion [With that said, I'll drop the Omega Man scenario, unless you have a brief rejoinder to make regarding your scenario, because, even though I think it's very interesting, it takes me away from my main focus.]

Going back to our hypothesized god-entity who is living in an eternal limbo, I don't think we can say that the entity would or would not have emotions, although I must say, since He likely exists 'above' pain or pleasure as we know it, it does seem suspicious for us to think He has emotions.

And, " what could possibly be good/evil to such a being?" Good question! Do you think perhaps good/evil might be held cognitively in relation to a proposal, or the actual execution, of creating lesser beings, kind of like an Omega Man who decided he likes kitties after all? :cool: Maybe?

Thanks again for your contribution...it's this kind of response that moves us along here. (I'm learning too as we go...);)

2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
your opinion that without theology " God wouldnt even be worth a thought it would be an empty concept .... God concepts are created by and depend on there being a theology " is what i was responding to when i said that my awareness of God and my experience with God was outside religion and theology . theology is not synonymous with "awareness of the concept of God" it is synonymous with "the study of God and religion" . every human being that can think conceptualizes even without the construct of theology.

Jenny,

Probably, not everyone is going to value your personal experience(s) with God, although I think I can empathize with you since I'm a fellow Christian. I do think I agree with you to some extent that 'god concepts' can be shaped by our personal experiences...to some extent, and they may not reside in our minds even as fully functional concepts, but perhaps are sometimes existential "leadings" of the Spirit that feel more or less ethereal (and which may take more shape in our minds later on).

However, perhaps we would be clearer if we categorize theology into two categories: 1) Theology General, which can take different perceptual land conceptual shapes and forms, so to speak, and 2) Theology Proper, wherein are formed specific ideas about the Divine, such as we find articulated in many of today's World Religions. So, in this case, you're right a little bit, and the person to whom you're defending your view is, perhaps, a little bit right as well.

But, you're free to disagree, or fill me in on what I'm not understanding.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey Philovoid,
I hope you don´t mind me butting in here.
While I appreciate this very attempt to keep the discussion philosophically abstract, I am doubting that this is possible (and if it is possible, I have my doubts that it makes sense to do so).
After all, we do exist (and, for purposes of this discussion, are the "someones" God is directing his actions towards).
Since we don´t have God here in front of us to look at and observe (or else we wouldn´t have to get entirely philosophical), what we actually are referring to is not God - it is god concept(s).
Man! You're a fast learner. Yes, I have been pressing to keep the discussion about a possible god-entity within the realm of the abstract. And this is indeed very difficult, which is one point that I want everyone to see! (Crafty me!)

However, the discussion will almost immediately break-down if I allow a specific divine identity to slip in, whether that entity is Vishnu, or the Lord Jehovah. So, I think it is possible for us to generically frame in our minds, at the beginning, (in a kind of Fregian, or Searlian way) a god-entity who exists outside of time and space, and who has sat there, for eternity (for however 'early' or 'long' that may be).

Yes, we are the "someones" a god-entity may be directing His actions; at the same time, we are also the human doubters who even now can't seem to wrap our minds around the possibility that a god-entities' 'hand' may have somehow sewn the threads of our relative/quantum experiences. But, I now digress... So, for simplicity's sake, I think we can use an abstract effigy of a god to work with for the moment, until we reach some other conclusions that may take us further.

Or to put it differently: No matter whether and which God exists or not - humans have come up with the idea of a God existing, and this "invention" served a purpose (or several purposes), fulfilled needs and/or answered existential questions. You can´t have a god concept without having a (even if only rudimentary) theology (an idea what this God is, how this God is, what are God´s traits and properties).
Without theology, God wouldn´t even be worth a thought. It would be an empty concept - i.e. no concept at all. God concepts are created by and depend on there being a theology.
I agree it seems very difficult to do--that is, holding a god-concept, or imagining a divine entity, but we can do so with out adding other specifics that take us then into the orbit of today's World Religions.

I think this is very pertinent particularly to the "God is good" idea. Why are these questions around God´s "goodness" so important and pressing to us? My answer: Because we have come to accept that as a basic, unalienable theological tenet (which again is the product of a human purpose/need: We want God to be good, because we want there to be a positive reason behind our existence).
That's a good point! We do often relate God with good because we want to have a safety net of sorts at our metaphysical disposal. But, our consideration of 'the Good's' relation to a god-entity doesn't have to be limited by that hopeful purpose alone. On another side of the issue, which we haven't pummeled yet in the same way that we have begun to do with the god-entity, is the abstract nature of 'the Good,' which you've implied, I notice, to be something we can't reference except by and through our own cognitive, real-life, non-abstract experiences. Possibly. If this is the case, then we need to discuss Plato's Forms and his idea of 'the Good' first, and see if we can dispense with his ideas. Or we may find out that we can't dispense with it? (Maybe we don't, but I defer to you to start us thinking on that...)

The question if God could possibly not be good isn´t really up for discussion - to the point that (if - hypothetically - it could be shown that there´s an evil mastermind behind the scenes) we would say "Well, this isn´t God, then." (That´s what we have devil-concepts for, after all ;) ).
If it were not for this pre-existing theology, we could simply say: "Who cares if God is good or evil or neutral? It doesn´t matter. God is what It is. Case closed."

To sum this up: Our god concepts are necessarily products of theology. We are humans discussing our concepts of god. It would be absurd to try to discuss concepts by stripping them of their content.
...and that, my friend, is why we aren't simply looking at the concept of god, or a god-entity, alone, but at the relationship of the concepts between God and the Good, and whether Good is intrinsic or extrinsic, real, or humanly imagined. What ideas do you have brewing about all of this, Quatona? Have I lost my mind? Or, do we need to take the Red Pill or the Blue Pill? :cool:

Peace
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Man! You're a fast learner. Yes, I have been pressing to keep the discussion about a possible god-entity within the realm of the abstract. And this is indeed very difficult, which is one point that I want everyone to see! (Crafty me!)
Not to question your excellence as a teacher - but in this particular instance you were more like carrying coals to Newcastle. ;)

However, the discussion will almost immediately break-down if I allow a specific divine identity to slip in, whether that entity is Vishnu, or the Lord Jehovah. So, I think it is possible for us to generically frame in our minds, at the beginning, (in a kind of Fregian, or Searlian way) a god-entity who exists outside of time and space, and who has sat there, for eternity (for however 'early' or 'long' that may be).
Well, as much as I appreciate your will to provide a workable god-concept (without adding theological bells and whistles), I have problems accepting this one: It appears to be self-contradictory. Or, at least you would have to provide definitions of "eternity", "long" and "early" that render them meaningful atemporal concepts.

I agree it seems very difficult to do--that is, holding a god-concept, or imagining a divine entity, but we can do so with out adding other specifics that take us then into the orbit of today's World Religions.
To be honest, I doubt that very much. I specifically doubt the ability of a believer to let go of the conceptual frame that renders his god concept meaningful to him (don´t misunderstand me: I am not blaming them for this inability.)
Look, in your above efigious definition, you didn´t even mention God´s creatorship. I´m sure, though, that you naturally assume it, and that it will turn out to be a trait of this "efigy" sooner or later.
On other occasions, you have simply posited God to be personal (after all, you call It "He" - male even), sentient, feeling, thinking, emotional, needy, etc.
I totally believe you that you would like to talk about PhilosophyProperGod, a generic god concept without theological baggage. But then, you are - naturally and understably - so comitted to your own god concept that you inadvertantly smuggle it in, bit by bit.
Let´s hypothetically say it turned out that God isn´t the creator of everthing, that God isn´t omnipotent, not omniscient, that God is but an unpersonal force, that God isn´t good (even evil maybe) etc. - wouldn´t you conclude that this entity isn´t God, rather than adjusting your god concept?

That's a good point! We do often relate God with good because we want to have a safety net of sorts at our metaphysical disposal. But, our consideration of 'the Good's' relation to a god-entity doesn't have to be limited by that hopeful purpose alone.
Correct, it doesn´t have to be. Then again, it seems to me that there are pretty good down-to-earth explanations for the human habit of transcending stuff. We needn´t add transcendental explanations (particularly since they themselves fall in the category that they are supposed to explain).
On another side of the issue, which we haven't pummeled yet in the same way that we have begun to do with the god-entity, is the abstract nature of 'the Good,' which you've implied, I notice, to be something we can't reference except by and through our own cognitive, real-life, non-abstract experiences. Possibly. If this is the case, then we need to discuss Plato's Forms and his idea of 'the Good' first, and see if we can dispense with his ideas. Or we may find out that we can't dispense with it? (Maybe we don't, but I defer to you to start us thinking on that...)
Well, my knowledge of ancient Greek philosophy has become a little rusty over the decades (probably because at some point I ceased to be impressed by it).
Anyway: As his hypothesis of "Forms" appears to be a transcendental (and thus unfalsifiable) concept itself, I am not willing to accept the burden of disproving it.
To be quite frank, at this point I am quite content with rejecting it on basis of the fact that I find it quite creative but also pretty wild. It doesn´t seem to explain anything for which there isn´t a solid down-to-earth explanation.

...and that, my friend, is why we aren't simply looking at the concept of god, or a god-entity, alone, but at the relationship of the concepts between God and the Good, and whether Good is intrinsic or extrinsic, real, or humanly imagined. What ideas do you have brewing about all of this, Quatona?
My personal take? It´s actually pretty simple.
"Good" is a human term of valuation based on our experience of "desirable".
I have always observed a tendency of humans to first transcend their concepts into the abstract (possibly even to the point of stripping them off any context or frame of reference in which they have come to use them), and upon seeing then vanishing into the open space that way, they try to regain a grip on them by reifying, anthropomorphing, personifying, obejctifying them.
In a nutshell. ;)
IMO it´s a matter of psychology more than anything else.

Have I lost my mind? Or, do we need to take the Red Pill or the Blue Pill? :cool:
If you ask me: As long as we don´t expect a word to have meaning outside the frame of reference in which we have come to use it (or even outside any frame of reference at all), we are on the safe side, sanitywise. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Since humanity has already done enough through the millennia to erase God from the moral picture, I thought it might be interesting to place the shoe on the other foot, so to speak, and conceptually erase humanity from God's moral picture (which in essence gives us God as He may have been before imputing to Him any concept of 'Creation').

So, if we entertain this moral 'thought project,' we might find some interesting questions coming to our minds. One path of inquiry that comes to my mind is that I wonder what need God has for morality if---alone as the Ground of Being (as Tillich might say), outside of, and without, time, and not in any way, shape, or form contesting His existential Ground, or competing with any other force---He has no lesser beings to commune with or to instruct. The question then might be articulated as:

Without Human Existence, Does God Need to Be Good?

...and where does this question take us philosophically?

2PhiloVoid

If we erase humanity as it exists right now from God's moral picture, wouldn't we have completion? If a God creates anything at all it would seem to make sense that the creation would fulfill a purpose that leads to completion. So if you remove creation from God then God is in an eternal state of rest because He's not creating anything.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not to question your excellence as a teacher - but in this particular instance you were more like carrying coals to Newcastle. ;)
It sounds to me like you are questioning my excellence as a teacher...:mad: Ah well. I guess it's a good thing I wasn't intending to teach on this thread, but to carry on a discussion here.

...But that bit about "coals to Newcastle." If that is your response, then.....I'd say I have been thus far successful in my discussion.

Well, as much as I appreciate your will to provide a workable god-concept (without adding theological bells and whistles), I have problems accepting this one: It appears to be self-contradictory. Or, at least you would have to provide definitions of "eternity", "long" and "early" that render them meaningful atemporal concepts.
...looks like we're progressing well.......:D You've recoiled from this like a bird whose flown into a glass window. All is well.

To be honest, I doubt that very much. I specifically doubt the ability of a believer to let go of the conceptual frame that renders his god concept meaningful to him (don´t misunderstand me: I am not blaming them for this inability.)
Look, in your above efigious definition, you didn´t even mention God´s creatorship. I´m sure, though, that you naturally assume it, and that it will turn out to be a trait of this "efigy" sooner or later.
No, Quatona, I'm not assuming a creatorship, because even though that appeals to my Christian sentimentalies, that's not where I'm heading with all of this.
On other occasions, you have simply posited God to be personal (after all, you call It "He" - male even), sentient, feeling, thinking, emotional, needy, etc.
...Freudian slip, Quatona. We can still stick with 'It,' since we're not sure what an isolated god-entity would be like; and it is only perfunctory allusions that are being made with the 'anthropomorphisms,' so technically, those can be tossed into Schroedinger's Box for the time being. ;)
I totally believe you that you would like to talk about PhilosophyProperGod, a generic god concept without theological baggage. But then, you are - naturally and understably - so comitted to your own god concept that you inadvertantly smuggle it in, bit by bit.
It could seem that way, but I'm about ready to make the twist in our mental exercise (...and keep in mind that I'm not jumping over to any kind of Christian apologetics--I only aim to desconstruct philosophy with other philosophy).
Let´s hypothetically say it turned out that God isn´t the creator of everthing, that God isn´t omnipotent, not omniscient, that God is but an unpersonal force, that God isn´t good (even evil maybe) etc. - wouldn´t you conclude that this entity isn´t God, rather than adjusting your god concept?
Again, on the god-entity side of this discussion, I simply want to keep the basic proposition as: It's really difficult for us to surmise too much of anything as far as our conceiving what divine attributes might actually be, or not be.

Correct, it doesn´t have to be. Then again, it seems to me that there are pretty good down-to-earth explanations for the human habit of transcending stuff. We needn´t add transcendental explanations (particularly since they themselves fall in the category that they are supposed to explain).
Yep.

Well, my knowledge of ancient Greek philosophy has become a little rusty over the decades (probably because at some point I ceased to be impressed by it).
Anyway: As his hypothesis of "Forms" appears to be a transcendental (and thus unfalsifiable) concept itself, I am not willing to accept the burden of disproving it.
To be quite frank, at this point I am quite content with rejecting it on basis of the fact that I find it quite creative but also pretty wild. It doesn´t seem to explain anything for which there isn´t a solid down-to-earth explanation.
Good.

My personal take? It´s actually pretty simple.
"Good" is a human term of valuation based on our experience of "desirable".
I have always observed a tendency of humans to first transcend their concepts into the abstract (possibly even to the point of stripping them off any context or frame of reference in which they have come to use them), and upon seeing then vanishing into the open space that way, they try to regain a grip on them by reifying, anthropomorphing, personifying, obejctifying them.
In a nutshell. ;)
IMO it´s a matter of psychology more than anything else.

So, then---in your estimation, where does this leave Plato's (or Socrates') God/Good dilemma in Euthyphro? (See where I'm going now?) :cool:

[I thought I'd better get to the punch-line before you lose interest!]

2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
It sounds to me like you are questioning my excellence as a teacher...:mad:
No, not at all. The fact that I "learned" something I had already been convinced of just didn´t leave much space for you to demonstrate your unquestioned excellence.

Ah well. I guess it's a good thing I wasn't intending to teach on this thread, but to carry on a discussion here.
Well, you were the one bringing up the "fast learner" thing.

...But that bit about "coals to Newcastle." If that is your response, then.....I'd say I have been thus far successful in my discussion.
You convinced the already convinced? Ok, everyone have their own idea of "success". ;)

...looks like we're progressing well.......:D
I´m glad for you guys. :D

No, Quatona, I'm not assuming a creatorship, because even thought that appeals to my Christian sentimentalies, that's not where I'm heading with all of this.
I´m sure this is not where you are heading (but it´s good to learn that you aren´t just thinking around but actually heading somwhere). However, you have, on several occasions, inadvertantly introduced it as a silent premise. I am not questioning your best intentions to keep your personal god concept out of the discussion. I do understand it´s a tough call.
...Freudian slip, Quatona.
Ah, come on. You compared the God-human relationship to the relationship between humans and kittens, for example. You spoke of "lesser" beings without concluding from anything that God´s company had to be "lesser" beings. etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
So, then---in your estimation, where does this leave Plato's (or Socrates') God/Good dilemma in Euthyphro?
[/quote]
I guess it leaves it where it´s always has been, in my estimation: In the category of false dilemmas (in that there are other options, as well as the options presented might not be valid/sound).

As far as I can tell, we haven´t even established that God is good. We also haven´t established that God is the kind of entity that commands things or even only has the traits enabling It to command.
Thus, as far as our conversation is concerned and has progressed, the Euthrypho dilemma is also in the category of loaded questions. ;)
(See where I'm going now?) :cool:
I´d love to be that sharp, but to be honest: no. No idea.
Maybe you want to demonstrate that an argument like the Euthryphio dilemma, which is directed at a particular claim, isn´t suitable anymore once the claim has been changed in those very aspects that the argument addresses?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, not at all. The fact that I "learned" something I had already been convinced of just didn´t leave much space for you to demonstrate your unquestioned excellence.
I think I need to use more emoticons, but CFR doesn't have one for 'tongue-in-cheek'; all they have is the 'winker,' and that doesn't quite carry the same meaning.

Well, you were the one bringing up the "fast learner" thing.
Actually, you are a very perceptive person (no tongue-in-cheek.)

You convinced the already convinced? Ok, everyone have their own idea of "success". ;)
ok. :clap: :tutu: :ebil:

[I´m glad for you guys. :D]
How gracious of you! ;)

I´m sure this is not where you are heading (but it´s good to learn that you aren´t just thinking around but actually heading somwhere). However, you have, on several occasions, inadvertantly introduced it as a silent premise. I am not questioning your best intentions to keep your personal god concept out of the discussion. I do understand it´s a tough call.
Actually....I think I was all over the place with it. But, if a few Christian quips slipped in....oopsy!

Ah, come on. You compared the God-human relationship to the relationship between humans and kittens, for example. You spoke of "lesser" beings without concluding from anything that God´s company had to be "lesser" beings. etc.
The kitten comparison was posed to Ana the 1st in countering Ana's claim that the Omega Man would have more than likely eaten the kitten; which we really don't know (especially if we're talking Charlton Heston or Will Smith.:D )

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lesser beings? Did I say that? Okay---I guess "he" could be from the 'Q-Continuum.' Sheesh!!;)

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I guess it leaves it where it´s always has been, in my estimation: In the category of false dilemmas (in that there are other options, as well as the options presented might not be valid/sound).
Oh, say it again, Quatona! It sounds so much better when you say it! :D

As far as I can tell, we haven´t even established that God is good. We also haven´t established that God is the kind of entity that commands things or even only has the traits enabling It to command.[
Righto...because without Revelation from said entity (or in your case, entities), we don't know what It/Them is.
Thus, as far as our conversation is concerned and has progressed, the Euthrypho dilemma is also in the category of loaded questions. ;)
He said it again, folks!! (And that's important, actually.)

I´d love to be that sharp, but to be honest: no. No idea.
You've done fine, quotana. Just fine.
Maybe you want to demonstrate that an argument like the Euthryphio dilemma, which is directed at a particular claim, isn´t suitable anymore once the claim has been changed in those very aspects that the argument addresses?
Hmmmm.....maybe in a few days (or so), I'll try to configure a more 'formal' argument.

Thanks for moving us along, quatona! Good talkin' to ya'!
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Oh, say it again, Quatona! It sounds so much better when you say it! :D
The timbre of my voice is irresistible. That´s a gift, not an achievement.

Righto...because without Revelation from said entity (or in your case, entities), we don't know what It/Them is.
You want to talk about personal relevations and how you can possibly know that they are reliable, that there is an external author to these revelations, and how can reliably identify the author of such a revelation? IOW: the value of "revelation" as the source of "knowledge"? Uh, oh. That´s a huge topic of its own.Didn´t see that coming...
He said it again, folks!! (And that's important, actually.)
I love the way you appeal to my authority! :)
Finally someone´s got it: When quatona says something, that settles it! Can we make that a general rule?
You've done fine, quotana. Just fine.
quatona. (question about the ontological argument). ;)

Hey man, you almost sound like you are celebrating some kind of victory.
I don´t know, Philovoid. Maybe it´s a great new insight to you that an argument designed to address a particular argument or concept doesn´t address all arguments or concepts. Imo it´s pretty trivial. You could have simply asked, and I would have explained it to you. ;)

Here: The Euthrypho dilemma - which accepts the very premise that God is good - doesn´t, can´t, won´t and isn´t meant to address a hypothesis which doesn´t pose the premise that God is good.

Hmmmm.....maybe in a few days (or so), I'll try to configure a more 'formal' argument.
...which thrives on the fact that you can navigate your god concept safely around the Euthrypho dilemma - if only you are willing to sacrifice all its conceptual contents?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The timbre of my voice is irresistible. That´s a gift, not an achievement.]
I'm not one for denying your giftedness and rational forbearance, quatona!

You want to talk about personal relevations and how you can possibly know that they are reliable, that there is an external author to these revelations, and how can reliably identify the author of such a revelation? IOW: the value of "revelation" as the source of "knowledge"? Uh, oh. That´s a huge topic of its own.Didn´t see that coming...
Uh...no. I just mentioned it in passing because through this 'thought project,' it dawned on me that, with epistemological circumstances being what they are for us mere mortals, we're in a very dependent position as far as surmising much in the way of any substance about any kind of Transcendant Being (god-entity). But again, no; I'll save any discussion of the relevance/importance of the concept of revelation for a different thread. It serves little for my purposes here, or for working within the forum rules against apologetics in this section.

I love the way you appeal to my authority! :)
Well .... you know how we Christians are with appeals to Authority! ;)
Finally someone´s got it: When quatona says something, that settles it! Can we make that a general rule?
Sure, why not? Eh 'hem!!! HERE YE!! HERE YE!! Let it hence forth be known that.....!

quatona. (question about the ontological argument). ;)
Oh, what a brilliant chap you are, and an ontological brother after my own heart. (By the way, nice mnemonic device, that name of yours.)

Hey man, you almost sound like you are celebrating some kind of victory.
I don´t know, Philovoid. Maybe it´s a great new insight to you that an argument designed to address a particular argument or concept doesn´t address all arguments or concepts. Imo it´s pretty trivial. You could have simply asked, and I would have explained it to you. ;)
No, that's quite alright. I wanted someone of your caliber to say something substantive that would ward off the overt advances of the 'unbelievers' who like to [too easily in my estimation] subscribe to the usefulness of The Euthyphro dilemma.

Here: The Euthrypho (sic) dilemma - which accepts the very premise that God is good - doesn´t, can´t, won´t and isn´t meant to address a hypothesis which doesn´t pose the premise that God is good.
I've just finished reading Plato's Euthyphro, and I'm finding that its complications go deeper than what you propose even. (Well, at least to me they do.) At this point, I'm going to read it again and take extensive notes as to Plato's method of defining, and the uses he makes thereof, his concepts and concepts analysis. After I do that, then I'll also gather the various critiquing points you've scattered among your posts in this thread, and I will ponder their profundity; you have been most helpful, really. ;)

...which thrives on the fact that you can navigate your god concept safely around the Euthrypho dilemma - if only you are willing to sacrifice all its conceptual contents?
I don't know about that, quatona. I'm thinking that despite the weaknesses of my interventionary scenario, Plato's Euthyphro may be plagued by its own additional shortcomings that I didn't know were also embedded in his work. Anyway, we'll see how my thoughts on this develop over the next several days. :cool:

Then, maybe we can reconvene....o_O :D

Thanks again for your input.
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0