Does Jeremiah 1: 5 prove that the human soul exists before conception?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,025.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
New International Version, Jeremiah 1:

5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”
Does this prove the human soul (nephesh) exists before conception/fertilization?

No, not according to First-Order Logic. The word soul (nephesh) is not even there in the verse.

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Does this prove the human soul (nephesh) exists before conception/fertilization?

No, not according to First-Order Logic. The word soul (nephesh) is not even there in the verse.
The point is there are many verses that point to God knowing us or the potential us before we were born and that our names would be written in the book of life before we were born.

So I guess the question is in what way did we exist before we were born. Was this out spiritual self that came to be when we were born. Or was this just a potential self that came into being when we were concieved.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,025.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Right, good question.

I don't think so.

Sometihing like that. But more simply, I think Jeremiah 1:5 refers to God's omniscience.
Its interesting. They say that a child cannot reach the age of responsibility to around 12 or something like that. So there comes a point where they know right from wrong. Is this part of the soul. Or is there some reminents of it when we are born such as our natural inclination to believe in disembodied enitities and an afterlife from a very young age.

• Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,025.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

True - and as Romans 4 says "God counts those things that are not yet - as though they are" when He says that "I have made you the father of many nations" -- to Abraham, when as yet there was not one.

In Is 53 it is said of Christ "HE was afflicted... He was bruised" - yet the Messiah had not yet been born.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

We do not have a disembodied "spirit" implanted in us ... we have the breath of life ... every breath we take is dependent on God giving it to u

A soul is the makeup of the entire person.

The use of the word “soul” is speaking to someone’s complete identity. The Bible uses these terms as a way of closely identifying with an individual—it’s not referring to a separate entity, life force, or energy.

Humans do not have a soul but are a soul (1 Corinthians 15:45; Genesis 2:7).

A soul is a living being ... not a disembodied spirit of some kind.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums