With the rise of secularism , what do you think the future holds ?

xMinionX

Contributor
Dec 2, 2003
✟18,028.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
RichardT said:
But secularism is of the devil :(

Hardly. Secularism simply promotes a 'hands off' position regarding everyone elses religious views. You can worship however you choose, so long as you don't try to force it onto me. This extends to the government.

Upvote 0

RichardT

Contributor
Sep 17, 2005
Toronto Ontario
✟23,099.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
xMinionX said:
Hardly. Secularism simply promotes a 'hands off' position regarding everyone elses religious views. You can worship however you choose, so long as you don't try to force it onto me. This extends to the government.

... Good , so I will let you parish in hell on your own....

Upvote 0

srev2004

Senior Veteran
Sep 1, 2005
Berkeley, CA
✟11,398.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
RichardT said:
... Good , so I will let you parish in hell on your own....

"The moment I have realized God sitting in the temple of every human body, the moment I stand in reverence before every human being and see God in him - that moment I am free from bondage, everything that binds vanishes, and I am free."

Don't try to chain people up with labels, let them realize God on their own. It is human nature to seek out God.

The bible is an earth centered book, and does not talk about the universe and beyond. So its God could easily be a demi God. The earth and the heaven could be created by a demi God entrusted with such powers by the supreme God. It is possible that the Christian God created the earth and the heaven, like Indra or Yama can, subjected to the will of the supreme. Jesus is the only way to reach the abode of this demi God, and that is why Hindus have no need of Christianity. We are striving for the supreme abode of Krishna, and since Jesus said that he is the only way and all others are false - he could not have referred to Krishna's abode, but to just another heaven in the astral space.

Does the bible say that God is onmipresent? Does it say anything beyond the earth and heaven? Does bible present the divine spark inside each one of us? Does the bible talk about the metaphysics of the soul as in the vedas? Since it does not, it means it is incomplete. There is nothing like the sublime passages(in vedas) in the bible.

Actually I have met many christians that have admitted to getting inspirations from the Gita. We can only say that this is because of their good karma ripening.

On Christians, Hindus in general have no problem with christianity but we do have a problem with those followers of christianity that like to shove it down our throats.

It is never a hindu's intention that you as a christian convert to hinduism. In fact, if you ask hindus they will say, "become a better christian".

We only ask that you allow us the dignity to practice our faith and not shove something down our throats. If you do, please prepare for the vomit.

It is my personal opinion that christianity will eventually be assimilated in the dharma way in the long run. So no worries there.

E.g. here in canada in the city that I live in another hindu temple just recently opened and a statue of Buddha sits right beside Narayana statue! Who is to say…whose statue will be next to Buddha in another few years?

It is the call of today’s time to assimilate, love all, accept all and not bomb people or exploit the poor of the world in the name of GOD.

Sanatan Dharma is the only candidate that answers the cry of modern man’s soul and stands tall to answer this call to ‘love all’ while accepting their differences.

Upvote 0

srev2004

Senior Veteran
Sep 1, 2005
Berkeley, CA
✟11,398.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
"O son of Prtha, there is no work prescribed for Me within all the three planetar systems. Nor am I in want of anything, nor have I need to obtain anything-and yet I am engaged in work."

The Supreme Personality of Godhead is described in the Vedic literatures as follows:

"The Supreme Lord is the controller of all other controllers, and He is the greatest of all the diverse planetary leaders. Everyone is under His control. All entities are delegated with particular power only by the Supreme Lord; they are not supreme themselves. He is also worshipable by all demigods and is the superme director of all directors. Therefore, He is transcendental to all kinds of material leaders and controllers and woshipable by all. There is no one greater than Him, and He is the supreme cause of all causes.

"He does not possess bodily form like that of an ordinary living entity. There is no difference between His body and His soul. He is absolute. All His senses are transcendental. Any one of His senses can perform the action of any other sense. Therefore, no one is greater than Him or equal to Him. His potencies are multifarious, and this His deeds are automatically performed as a natural sequence." (Svetasvatara Upanisad 6.7-8)

Since everything is in full opulence in the Personality of Godhead and is existing in full truth, there is no duty for the Supreme Personality of Godhead to perform. One who must recieve the results of work has some designated duty, but one who has nothing to achieve within the threee planetary systems cettainly has no duty. And yet Lord Krsna is engaged on the Battlefield of Kuruksetra as the leader of the Ksatriyas because the ksatriyas are duty bound to give protection to the distressed. Although He is above all regulations of the revealed scriptures, He does not do anything that violates the revealed scriptures.

This is the explanation of Krishna in the Bhagavad Gita

"If I should cease to work, then all these worlds would be put to ruination. I would also be the cause of creating unwanted population, and I would therby destroy the peace of all sentient beings" Krishna told Arjun.

Varna-sankara is unwated population which disturbs the peace of the general society. In order to check this social disturbance, there are prescribed rules and regulations by which the populations can automatically become peaceful and organized for spiritual progress in life. When Lord Krsna descends, naturally He deals with such rules and regulations in order to maintain the prestige and necessity of such important performances. The Lord is the father of all living entities, and if the living entities are misguided, indirectly the responsibility goes to the Lord. Therefore whenever there is general disregard of regulative principles, the Lord Himself descends and corrects the society, We should, however, not carefully that although we have to follow in the footsteps of the Lord, we still have to remember that we cannot imitate Him. Following and imitation are not on the same level. We cannot imitate the Lord by lifting Govardhana Hill, as the Lord did in His childhood. It is impossible for any human being. We have to follow his Instructions, but we may not imitate Him at any time.

"As the ignorant perform their duties with attachment to results, similarly the learned may also act, but without attachment, for the sake of leading people on the right path."

"Let not the wise disrupt the minds of the ignorant who are attached to fruitive action. They should not be encouraged to refrain from work, but to engage in work in the spirit of devotion."

"The bewildered spirit soul, under the influence of the three modes of material nature, thinks himself to the does of activities, which are in actuality carried out by nature."

"One who is in knowledge of the Absolute Truth, O mighty-armed, does not engage himself in the senses and sense gratification, knowing well the differences between work in devotion and work for fruitive results."

"Bewildered by the modes of material nature, the ignorant fully engage themselves in material activities and become attached. But the wise should not unsettle them, although these duties are inferior due to the performers' lack of knowledge."

"Therefore, O Arjuna, surrendering all your works unto Me, with mind intent on Me, and without desire for gain and free from egoism and lethargy, fight for the just cause."

"One who executes his duties according to My injunctions and who follows this teaching faithfully, without envy, becomes free from the bondage of fruitive actions."

"But those who, out of envy, disregard these teachings and do not practice them regularly, are to be considered berft of all knowledge, befooled, and doomed to ignorance and bondage."

"Even a man of knowledge acts according to his own nature, for everyone follows his nature. What can repression accomplish?"

"Attraction and repulsion for sense objects are felt by embodied beings, but one should not fall under the control of senses and sense objects because they are stumbling blocks on the path of self-realization."

This is one tenth of one chapter of what Krishna told Arjun.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Druweid

{insert witty phrase}
Aug 13, 2005
Massachusetts
✟19,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
RichardT said:
But secularism is of the devil :(
Oh? Consider Matthew 22:21

"Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's. "

Does this not speak of secularism?

Regards,
-- Druweid

Upvote 0
B

Birdy_for_Christ

Personally, I think this world is getting worse each day. Where I live, only 15% of the people attend church. At school, there are very strong secular feelings that are only growing. People share a common hatred for anything that is and anyone who is Christian. The signs of the times are pointing to only one thing: Jesus' 2nd coming. I feel very strongly that the 2nd coming of Christ is near. Come Lord Jesus! This world needs You.:prayer:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Druweid

{insert witty phrase}
Aug 13, 2005
Massachusetts
✟19,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Birdy_for_Christ said:
Personally, I think this world is getting worse each day. Where I live, only 15% of the people attend church. At school, there are very strong secular feelings that are only growing. People share a common hatred for anything that is and anyone who is Christian.
The thing is, it is (or at least should be) an aberration to suggest that Secularism is synonymous with anti-Christian. I can only speak for myself with authority, but I do believe there are many supporters of a secular government and secular state who have no ill-will toward Christianity whatsoever.

-- Druweid

Upvote 0

Druweid

{insert witty phrase}
Aug 13, 2005
Massachusetts
✟19,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Rae said:
I think the future holds cute birdies. Cockatiels, budgies, Amazons, African Greys, and Pionus for all!
And cockatoos! Oh, I love cockatoos, the most endearing and affectionate bird I've ever known.

-- Druweid

Upvote 0

Achichem

Faithful
Aug 9, 2003
✟1,857.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
I personally see the “rise in secularism” as just another shift in the human societal paradigm, so neither good nor bad. That said however, I think that the western form has oft been associated with a separate and actually beneficial shift, that is the shift in the “plurality of self”,which is actually showing up in religious and secular communities alike.

This shift, is pushing the philosophic idea of an “expansionistic identity” and thus exposing elitism, pride, fear, shame, apathy, ect. as the weak and harmful belief systems they always were, by setting the stage to believe in all our fellow man instead of just those we identify with, we (secular and religious alike) are building the groundwork of a culture of peace.

:),
Conrad

Upvote 0