• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

With the rise of secularism , what do you think the future holds ?

Discussion in 'Christianity and World Religion' started by RichardT, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Eudaimonist

Eudaimonist I believe in life before death!

+2,591
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    That's assuming God exists, of course. It could be good if God doesn't.

And less hostility towards those who don't have faith-based views due to religion being on the decline and leaving the norm of society. It seems like it could even out, or be an overall improvement.

2. Grizzly

Grizzly Enemy of Christmas Supporter

+1,610
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    The rise of secularism brings with it an inevitable backlash of fundamentalism. The more people feel pushed toward the future, the more people will cling to the past.

Is this good or bad? I don't know. I've been around CF for a long time and I would hate to see some of the fundamentist Christians lose their faith. Apparently without a belief in God, some here would turn into homicidal heathen rapists bent for fast living and quick dying. Apparently without a belief in God, its not possible to be moral :sigh:

3. Grizzly

+1,610
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    Well, it could lead to few religious wars? Fewer people who think that they know the will of God/Allah/Brahma are fewer people willing to kill others. That could be a good thing. It would be one less reason to kill each other.

4. Lilly of the Valley

Lilly of the Valley Legend

+806
    Christian
    Single
    Well, if you think about it, if secularnisim becomes the norm, then most people will already not have faith based views. There are plenty of people now that still don't have faith based views. Then faith based views will thus become the minority. Thus hosility will be very highly increased toward those that hold those views. How is the minority being treated hostily a good thing? See, being good to the majority but not toward the minority is equally bad. You can kind of compare that to racial minorities and etc....if it's wrong to treat a race that's a minority bad or an sexaual orientation...should it not be the same for faith?

5. Lilly of the Valley

+806
    Christian
    Single
    How many religious wars have there been compared to regular economic or political wars? I mean, people aren't killing each other all day long due to religions. Now, there are religious wars, but to say that it is so extensive and so much soley for religious causes is kind of inaccurate. Mostly it is radicals that do that stuff anyway. The majority that are in a religion aren't killing folks all day for their god most of the time.

6. Arthra

Arthra Baha'i

+523
    Other Religion
    Married
    I think people are killing each other nowadays over material things like money, gang turf and a belief that if you don't have what you want you use any means necessary to obtain it including cimbing over a few carcases...

Violence and anger are on the rise ... We condone it I think by getting there (where ever) faster and to heck with the other gal/guy. An ethic of dog eat dog and cat... Impersonalism and egotistical me firstism.

Family violence and child abuse also are addd to the mix.

Corporations get away with an ethic of it's OK as long as you're not caught and similarly with powerful people ...When politicians are caught it's not what they did so much as how stupid tehy were in getting caught and so on.

Well all these things above have been with us for a long time...the darker side you could say of human nature but - with the collapse of the family and extended family and local accountability it seems worse today as the powerful get more powerful and have even less regard for others. Statistically there's a greater gap between haves and havenots in many societies than we've seen in a long time..

If concerned spiritual people don't begin to work together to shore up what is left of social values and mores then it will get worse.

- Art

7. Eudaimonist

+2,591
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    I often ask that when I hear of atheists being treated with hostility by Christians.

8. RichardT

RichardT Contributor

+194
    Pantheist
    Single
    I agree , wars are mostly political... Even if they seem to be religious....

9. RichardT

RichardT Contributor

+194
    Pantheist
    Single
    It should stay this way...

A one world religion and one world secular political system dosn't sound fun to me....

10. Theowne

Theowne Senior Member

+25
    Hindu
    CA-NDP
    You support hostility towards athiest?

You support persecution of people with different religious beliefs then you?

Please tell me you did not just say that.

11. Eudaimonist

+2,591
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    Please explain.

I'm not an advocate of one world government, either secular or religious, but if there were secular governments worldwide, and they did not oppress religions, would that be okay with you?

12. Grizzly

+1,610
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    But religion acts as a catylist for these wars. From "manifest destiny" to Nazy Germany to the jihad and the subsequent "war on terror", believing your acting on the the will of an all-powerful diety provides fuel to the fire.

13. Livindesert

Livindesert Well-Known Member

+45
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    US-Others
    I would say a secular society if the religion in charge is domineering . Or a religious society if the secular society lost its humanism.

14. Lilly of the Valley

+806
    Christian
    Single
    Do not atheist do the same to christians? I mean, not all christians do that...most don't.

15. CalUWxBill

CalUWxBill Member

+9
    Agnostic
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Listen I have no belief in any one specific aspect of religion, nor do I think such is important. But, I think it is reasonably understood that religion like all other things that lead to war is a tool for those who want to promote their cause through war. Especially a character such as Hitler. That being said our differences and accessibility to resources and power will always allow some to justify war, rightly or wrongly. And war in all cases cannot be just, but sometimes is seen as necessary (Such as the American Revolution).

16. Eudaimonist

+2,591
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    Same thing. Not all atheists do that...most don't.

One thing though. I have heard of Christian parents disowning children who don't conform to their religious views, e.g. if their children become atheist, or pagan, or some other non-Christian religion. I've never heard of atheists doing that to children of theirs who become religious.

So it's not impossible that the amount of hostility would actually decrease overall if society were to become more secular. And maybe it would simply stay about the same.

17. Lilly of the Valley

+806
    Christian
    Single
    I have a feeling it would increase. If 85% of people are one way, will they not treat the rest hostile? The chances are higher that they will and you can see that in history even.

18. CalUWxBill

CalUWxBill Member

+9
    Agnostic
    Single
    US-Democrat
    That will all depend on the values of the individual and the pressures they get from society. Like pretty much all things in this world, most people do not wish bad things, regardless of their beliefs. But persecution always arises with differences, when those differences become a source of conflict. I can only honestly say that the truth is of ultimate importance to gaining the trust and compassion of all people towards each other. Religious beliefs by their very nature hold "truths" which cannot be shown evidentially to others, so that they may also believe. That is why I think secularism is important. Not because I want people to reject God, rather to understand that if you can't prove your view to others, then how do you expect them to accept it as the truth. Only God can reveal the truth to us in a direct and fully believable away, all other beliefs are through faith. Faith is important to humans though, so I won't condemn faith, but expecting others to have faith in the same unprovable "truths" is irrational at best.

19. Eudaimonist

+2,591
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    I don't share your feeling. I don't think this is a law of society.

In Sweden, at least, where "true believing" Christians are a small minority, there is very little hostility towards them from the non-believing majority.

20. RichardT

RichardT Contributor

+194
    Pantheist
    Single
    But secularism is of the devil :(