Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is your view on witchcraft? Is it a real thing from a Christian viewpoint?
How should Christians respond to witches? Ignore, evangelise, burn, etc?

I'd probably just take them out ... ... ... 'cuz I figure they get hungry for good food just like anyone else.

• Haha
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟78,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Try to turn them towards God. That is what I would do. But, if the folks into magic force witchery on me, I will run away.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

I don't believe that magic spells and curses actually work, though I'd be open-minded if a spell stood up to scientific scrutiny. (That is, the spell worked repeatedly, multiple people could see the results, conditions were controlled and included a control/placebo group, etc.) I currently don't know of any spell-casting that stands up to this kind of scrutiny.

I think Wiccans and other neo-pagans are real people. When possible, I like to have interfaith conversations with neo-pagans in which we each talk about our beliefs and practices, discovering where we have common ground and where we simply disagree. I had a number of conversations like that here on CF, while the World Religions forum was still active.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anything not Christian is considered Pagan. All forms of witchcraft are Pagan. We are commanded to spread the Gospel to everyone who are typically considered Pagan. There is also Judaism and Muslim who are in a different catagory.
Blessings.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

Thijs Hottenhuis

Dec 3, 2023
Valkenburg Lb
Visit site
✟15,272.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I think you should always pray for guidance on what to do exactly. As a general rule, we are here to help everyone to return to God, to turn to Jesus, to repent and to accept the Gospel as the good news. Witches, none-witches, everyone.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wonder how much witchcraft is about wanting to control reality and how much is appreciation of nature.
I suppose it depends on the witch but I would bet it is more about controlling outcomes and getting what one desires in life.

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
They're just people. Reach out to them like anyone else. Given the fragmented nature of New Age/occult beliefs, I would lean heavily on asking what they believe about X, Y, and Z rather than assuming. I have found that they respond well to steady kindness.

Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟204,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The last time I spoke with a Wiccan, it was in high school. If you're looking for help in talking to them, I would look for information from neutral sources on their beliefs, and ask questions of them to verify their beliefs on an individual level. Assuming that they are out to get you is very unproductive. Most of them are more interested in communicating with their gods than hurting people.

It's also clear that the Lord Jesus Christ is more powerful than the demons, so we have nothing really to fear from these people anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Witches are real enough. If the opportunity arises, witness to them. They know about the spiritual realm, so they are often more open than atheists, humanists or rationalist people. If a Christian knows they are dealing with a witch, he needs to bind the demon. Witches are not like the fairy tales. They often dress and act as normally as anyone else.

Upvote 0

Proselyte of Yah

Your Friendly Neighborhood Arian
Apr 26, 2022
Midlands
Visit site
✟24,105.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Nobody should be "burned", we do not have the authority to judge or give any sinner the death sentence for such things. Jesus and those he appoints will be the one to execute the wrath of God on the unrepentant sinners at his return.

The Old Testament had the death sentence for such unrepentant acts, but it was a very different society and world back then, and it applied to the nation of Israel only, God's holy nation in which all civilians born into knew that witchcraft was a form of satanism and demonism, and thus were 'intentionally' doing evil, and had prior warnings that if caught, they could face death penalities. The presence of God and his power was also rather present for people to see back then, and couldn't be denied (prophets, miracles, etc).

Historically, the Catholic Church may have burned people, but this was not the authority Christ gave to men to do concerning sin in the New Covenant, as none of us are judges of the court of God or Sanhedrin. Furthermore, today there are many tolerated religious beliefs, because unlike ancient times, miracles and displays of God's direct power are not as overt as they were when his presence dwelled in Israel amongst his prophets and the Temple containing the Ark.

Not a 'single' Christian in the NT ever burned, hung, or stoned sinners or witches. Sinners of the world in Christian scripture, are merely told to be shown mercy and lovingly preached to, if they refuse to listen, the judge will deal with them. And if witches or sinners were in the Christian congregation, they'd simply be kicked out (excommunicated) until changing their ways.

We live in an age and covenant of great mercies, thanks to our Lord Jesus who died for the sins of the world, saving the repentant, and giving those yet to repent a greater chance to live.

Last edited:
Upvote 0