Oregon
✟16,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Quantum_Man said:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Check this out! Too bad I don't have an IntelMac, I'll have to wait till I upgrade to an Intel PowerMac. :D Welcome back to the mainstream world of PC gaming. :clap:
Woohoo! Now, if Vista will be able to do the same... my next pc will be a Mac. Already hoping/planning on a new pc Q1 2007. This really will be the best of both worlds!

Upvote 0

zoziw

a mari usque ad mare
Jun 28, 2003
✟11,169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As Steve Jobs said back at the 97 keynote, "For Apple to win, Microsoft doesn't have to lose".

The debate between Macs and PCs almost always centres around Windows vs OS X, but Apple has always been a hardware company that wants to take out Dell and HP, not Microsoft (not that the two don't compete).

Once Leopard is out and the iMac's get their 64 bit processors back (rumoured to be late this year), I'll be taking a serious look at getting one. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Overtime_man

Oct 25, 2004
Tokyo
✟16,114.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All in all, it's probably a good move for Apple and will no doubt attract some of the fence-sitters who were holding off on switching to a Mac because of a few Windows apps that they need to use. Personally though, I don't play PC games nor do I have a need to use any Windows specific software, so even if I had an Intel Mac and a copy of XP, I wouldn't waste my HD space by installing it. I'm perfectly happy using OS X and the odd OS 9 app, which runs efficiently enough under the OS X classic environment.

Upvote 0

zoziw

a mari usque ad mare
Jun 28, 2003
✟11,169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is this the end of OSX?

I've been thinking about this tonight and have to wonder if John C. Dvorak was right...shudder.

For the record, about 1 month ago he said Apple would abandon OS X for Windows and, just to be insufferable, he reminded us that a year ago we wouldn't have believed Apple would switch to Intel.

For MS this has to be a no-brainer, want to run MS Office? Buy the Windows version..and by the way...pick up a copy of Windows to run it on while you are at it. Two sales instead of one.

For Photoshop, why spend the development dollars on OS X when you can focus all of your attention on the Windows version.

Why would MacSoft or Aspyr port an OS X version of UT2007 when Mac gamers will likely have XP installed and be able to enjoy the larger mod community on the PC side of things.

If you are going to start a software development company why develop for the small OS X community when you can design for Windows, catch the Mac crowd and have a wider audience able to run your programs.

When Apple said they signed a deal with Microsoft to share technological info with them in exchange for another 5 years of Office (just enough time for PPC Macs to become obsolete), were they talking about sharing OS X technology to help MS develop a better OS? MS isn't exactly in good shape with Vista right now.

Speculation on my part but what is the logical conclusion of building Windows boot support into Leopard? Sounds like a possible transition step.

Upvote 0

AceHero

Veteran
Sep 10, 2005
✟21,933.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
zoziw said:
Is this the end of OSX?

I've been thinking about this tonight and have to wonder if John C. Dvorak was right...shudder.
Dvorak has been bashing Apple all these years because he doesn't like it. He would have gladly accepted the death of Apple in 1997.

zoziw said:
For the record, about 1 month ago he said Apple would abandon OS X for Windows and, just to be insufferable, he reminded us that a year ago we wouldn't have believed Apple would switch to Intel.
A preview of Leopard is due to come out at the WWDC this summer, and Steve has registered a few more kitties along for the ride.

zoziw said:
For MS this has to be a no-brainer, want to run MS Office? Buy the Windows version..and by the way...pick up a copy of Windows to run it on while you are at it. Two sales instead of one.
Office has always been faithfully ported to the Mac, so there's no reason why that would stop now—Apple and Microsoft actually have a pretty solid relationship; this comes after Redmond had started phasing out some of their Mac ports, like Internet Explorer (killed by Safari) and Windows Media (killed by QuickTime). There's two examples right there as to why Apple is staying with Mac OS X. The technologies underneath and the apps above it are superior.

zoziw said:
For Photoshop, why spend the development dollars on OS X when you can focus all of your attention on the Windows version.
Photoshop is a more Mac-centric program anyways.

zoziw said:
Why would MacSoft or Aspyr port an OS X version of UT2007 when Mac gamers will likely have XP installed and be able to enjoy the larger mod community on the PC side of things.
Aspyr has already made patches to make their games universal for both Intel and PPC versions of Mac OS X. That aside, the gaming industry isn't doing well amongst both Macs and PCs—the consoles are winning that war quickly.

zoziw said:
If you are going to start a software development company why develop for the small OS X community when you can design for Windows, catch the Mac crowd and have a wider audience able to run your programs.
Dedicated Macphiles are still going to use OS X regardless. There would be a huge backlash if Apple killed the Mac OS. It's simply too popular right now to do that.

zoziw said:
When Apple said they signed a deal with Microsoft to share technological info with them in exchange for another 5 years of Office (just enough time for PPC Macs to become obsolete), were they talking about sharing OS X technology to help MS develop a better OS? MS isn't exactly in good shape with Vista right now.
Why would Apple ever want to help Microsoft?

zoziw said:
Speculation on my part but what is the logical conclusion of building Windows boot support into Leopard? Sounds like a possible transition step.
It's a transition step—for Windows users who may use just a few PC-only programs to make the jump to Mac OS X, albeit gradually. Using it side-by-side will allow them to slowly wean themselves off of XP. Macs would also become more acceptable in the general workplace.

Besides, how many diehard Mac users are going to use XP on a regular basis? It's just not happening.

Though it would be eye candy. "Yeah, my Mac does both!"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Law of Loud

Apparently a Librul Moonbat <[wash my mouth][wa
Aug 31, 2004
Seattle
✟10,493.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Heh, going off to college next year... and moving out the day after I graduate to California (where I will be working as a wildland firefighter), I've decided that I most definitely need to pick up a laptop before I go. So, I'm saving up all my money working at Dairy Queen right now in a lockbox, and I intent to drop somewhere around $1000 on a laptop that'll give me a well-rounded experience (except for gaming... I don't need much there).

After looking around, and using my own personal experiences, I've made the decision that I want one of these new MacBooks coming out. I've thought a lot of the OSX, and I have a friend who's a literal genius with computers, and he uses Macs, so there's great tech support if anything goes wrong.

But really, many of my favorite programs are Apple. I always have iTunes running, and it is rare to say the least that I run into any problems with it. Quicktime is a fantastic program, though I alternate it with VLC. In all respects, I'm not much of a gamer... and most of my time spent gaming is actually on older strategy and roleplaying games. Graphics and technology are pretty irrelevent to me, but the gameplay is beyond important. The other thing that's really impressed me about Macs is their ability to figure stuff out on their own. I'm not bad at fidgeting with computers, but I hate wasting my time doing it.

But yeah... I was really excited about this. This announcement most definitely fixed my mind on what I was going to pick up.

Upvote 0

AceHero

Veteran
Sep 10, 2005
✟21,933.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Law of Loud said:
Heh, going off to college next year... and moving out the day after I graduate to California (where I will be working as a wildland firefighter), I've decided that I most definitely need to pick up a laptop before I go. So, I'm saving up all my money working at Dairy Queen right now in a lockbox, and I intent to drop somewhere around $1000 on a laptop that'll give me a well-rounded experience (except for gaming... I don't need much there).

After looking around, and using my own personal experiences, I've made the decision that I want one of these new MacBooks coming out. I've thought a lot of the OSX, and I have a friend who's a literal genius with computers, and he uses Macs, so there's great tech support if anything goes wrong.

But really, many of my favorite programs are Apple. I always have iTunes running, and it is rare to say the least that I run into any problems with it. Quicktime is a fantastic program, though I alternate it with VLC. In all respects, I'm not much of a gamer... and most of my time spent gaming is actually on older strategy and roleplaying games. Graphics and technology are pretty irrelevent to me, but the gameplay is beyond important. The other thing that's really impressed me about Macs is their ability to figure stuff out on their own. I'm not bad at fidgeting with computers, but I hate wasting my time doing it.

But yeah... I was really excited about this. This announcement most definitely fixed my mind on what I was going to pick up.

Welcome to the club! :thumbsup:

If Intel is what it takes for one person to make the switch to the Mac, then Apple made a great decision by switching processors.

As for me, I'm hoping to get a MacBook Pro for my birthday. :pray:

Upvote 0

Law of Loud

Apparently a Librul Moonbat <[wash my mouth][wa
Aug 31, 2004
Seattle
✟10,493.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
AceHero said:
Welcome to the club! :thumbsup:

If Intel is what it takes for one person to make the switch to the Mac, then Apple made a great decision by switching processors.

As for me, I'm hoping to get a MacBook Pro for my birthday. :pray:

Heh, my birthday present consists of my safety gear. Nomex pants, nomex shirt, a firefighting helmet, a backpack, firefighting gloves, firefighting boots, etc...

This sucker's coming out of my pocket. Apple'd better give me a decent option under $1000 (after my student discount) or they're losing my business.

Upvote 0