1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Will they "build back better"?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by OldWiseGuy, Sep 4, 2021.

1. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+10,805
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Placing homes on 'stilts' to protect against flood water was a great idea. Looking at the hurricane damage reveals that that technology was very effective. However many of those buildings were destroyed by the fierce winds leaving little but the floor joists and the posts.

What is needed is to make the houses themselves hurricane proof as they rebuild. Perhaps a metal superstructure would be the way to go. Thoughts?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. d taylor

d taylor Well-Known Member

+3,237
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    Already been done Russell King and his nephew, Dr. Lebron Lackey in Florida

[​IMG]

3. Estrid

Estrid Well-Known Member

+1,879
    Hong Kong
    Skeptic
    In Relationship
    Not building in flood plains would be sensible

4. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Well-Known Member Supporter

+7,302
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    There are standards of construction that allow for wind loading, likely flood levels and how often catastrophic events may happen. I'm not a builder, but there are areas of Australia that are classified as storm prone. They have strict construction standards.

I would expect concrete constructions to survive storms that would flatten brick and timber. Placement is important also. Australia went through a severe drought and town planners were advised that we would never see real rain again. Areas of flood plain were rezoned to residential and commercial development. Well, they did not know that Christians were praying for relief from the drought. Numbers of homes were washed away that should never have been there in the first place.

5. inquiring mind

inquiring mind associate with those you can learn from Supporter

+3,132
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    Very True... but, if you have the money to replace it everytime it blows away, go for it.

6. Estrid

Estrid Well-Known Member

+1,879
    Hong Kong
    Skeptic
    In Relationship
    As long as they pay for it, not insurance and no
    environment issues.
    Which is a fail on all counts.

7. inquiring mind

inquiring mind associate with those you can learn from Supporter

+3,132
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    Yep, have to agree with you there.

8. Hazelelponi

Hazelelponi Well-Known Member Supporter

+7,657
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    I'm not an engineer or an architect, but this is an awesome thread. Nice to see people coming together to solve issues... :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  9. OldWiseGuy

+10,805
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    How about log construction. That would be pretty strong.

10. Occams Barber

Occams Barber Newbie Supporter

+6,270
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced

1. Being built of logs may help in resisting the force of a flood but it won't stop the house from being flooded

2. Considering the number of trees needed to build a log home, log building seems to be a highly inefficient use of resources

OB

11. Aussie Pete

+7,302
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Probably, but timber is becoming expensive and hard to get. Concrete/polystyrene foam has great insulating properties and it's quick to erect preformed panels. It has disadvantages of course. It's not that flexible after construction. I'd not like to try and install extra power points. I'd look at it as an option if I ever I build a new home.

12. OldWiseGuy

+10,805
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Build the log homes where wind damage is the greatest threat.

Trees are a 'forest crop' and are a renewable resource. Log construction is a great way to sequester carbon as well.

Millions of trees are grown just for making paper. Maybe if we used less paper more log homes could be built with those trees.

Paper Recycling Facts - University of Southern Indiana (usi.edu)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  13. OldWiseGuy

+10,805
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Lumber prices were high due to Covid but they are starting to come down.

I have cousin who lives in Florida in a small concrete block home. Whenever a serious storm is coming several of her friends stay with her until it blows over.

14. Aussie Pete

+7,302
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    We can't win. Plastic bags were brought in to save trees. Now plastic bags are evil. Computers were supposed to produce a paperless society. Dream on. Concrete is a major source of CO2 production. Brick making is hugely energy intensive. There are not enough caves for everyone. Trees take decades to mature. When you cut them down, the stored CO2 is released. We are doomed!!!!!!

15. OldWiseGuy

+10,805
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Look on the bright side. We could make a business out of solving the problems we've created. Full circle kinda.

Yesterday I pulled weeds out of a week-choked creek to form a fifty-by-fifty foot fishing hole. I fished there today and had a blast. Caught the biggest bluegill I ever caught.

Homemade aquatic weed tools.

Weed tools.JPG

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021