Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Placing homes on 'stilts' to protect against flood water was a great idea. Looking at the hurricane damage reveals that that technology was very effective. However many of those buildings were destroyed by the fierce winds leaving little but the floor joists and the posts.

What is needed is to make the houses themselves hurricane proof as they rebuild. Perhaps a metal superstructure would be the way to go. Thoughts?

• Useful
Reactions: Hazelelponi

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Already been done Russell King and his nephew, Dr. Lebron Lackey in Florida

15MICHAEL-HOUSE-1-superJumbo-v2.jpg

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟149,937.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Placing homes on 'stilts' to protect against flood water was a great idea. Looking at the hurricane damage reveals that that technology was very effective. However many of those buildings were destroyed by the fierce winds leaving little but the floor joists and the posts.

What is needed is to make the houses themselves hurricane proof as they rebuild. Perhaps a metal superstructure would be the way to go. Thoughts?

Not building in flood plains would be sensible

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

There are standards of construction that allow for wind loading, likely flood levels and how often catastrophic events may happen. I'm not a builder, but there are areas of Australia that are classified as storm prone. They have strict construction standards.

I would expect concrete constructions to survive storms that would flatten brick and timber. Placement is important also. Australia went through a severe drought and town planners were advised that we would never see real rain again. Areas of flood plain were rezoned to residential and commercial development. Well, they did not know that Christians were praying for relief from the drought. Numbers of homes were washed away that should never have been there in the first place.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟149,937.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Very True... but, if you have the money to replace it everytime it blows away, go for it.

As long as they pay for it, not insurance and no
environment issues.
Which is a fail on all counts.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟685,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I'm not an engineer or an architect, but this is an awesome thread. Nice to see people coming together to solve issues... :)

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would expect concrete constructions to survive storms that would flatten brick and timber.

How about log construction. That would be pretty strong.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟987,269.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

1. Being built of logs may help in resisting the force of a flood but it won't stop the house from being flooded

2. Considering the number of trees needed to build a log home, log building seems to be a highly inefficient use of resources

OB

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Probably, but timber is becoming expensive and hard to get. Concrete/polystyrene foam has great insulating properties and it's quick to erect preformed panels. It has disadvantages of course. It's not that flexible after construction. I'd not like to try and install extra power points. I'd look at it as an option if I ever I build a new home.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
1. Being built of logs may help in resisting the force of a flood but it won't stop the house from being flooded

Build the log homes where wind damage is the greatest threat.

2. Considering the number of trees needed to build a log home, log building seems to be a highly inefficient use of resources

Trees are a 'forest crop' and are a renewable resource. Log construction is a great way to sequester carbon as well.

Millions of trees are grown just for making paper. Maybe if we used less paper more log homes could be built with those trees.

Paper Recycling Facts - University of Southern Indiana (usi.edu)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Probably, but timber is becoming expensive and hard to get. Concrete/polystyrene foam has great insulating properties and it's quick to erect preformed panels. It has disadvantages of course. It's not that flexible after construction. I'd not like to try and install extra power points. I'd look at it as an option if I ever I build a new home.

Lumber prices were high due to Covid but they are starting to come down.

I have cousin who lives in Florida in a small concrete block home. Whenever a serious storm is coming several of her friends stay with her until it blows over.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Build the log homes where wind damage is the greatest threat.

Trees are a 'forest crop' and are a renewable resource. Log construction is a great way to sequester carbon as well.

Millions of trees are grown just for making paper. Maybe if we used less paper more log homes could be built with those trees.

Paper Recycling Facts - University of Southern Indiana (usi.edu)
We can't win. Plastic bags were brought in to save trees. Now plastic bags are evil. Computers were supposed to produce a paperless society. Dream on. Concrete is a major source of CO2 production. Brick making is hugely energy intensive. There are not enough caves for everyone. Trees take decades to mature. When you cut them down, the stored CO2 is released. We are doomed!!!!!!

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We can't win. Plastic bags were brought in to save trees. Now plastic bags are evil. Computers were supposed to produce a paperless society. Dream on. Concrete is a major source of CO2 production. Brick making is hugely energy intensive. There are not enough caves for everyone. Trees take decades to mature. When you cut them down, the stored CO2 is released. We are doomed!!!!!!

Look on the bright side. We could make a business out of solving the problems we've created. Full circle kinda.

Yesterday I pulled weeds out of a week-choked creek to form a fifty-by-fifty foot fishing hole. I fished there today and had a blast. Caught the biggest bluegill I ever caught.

Homemade aquatic weed tools.

Weed tools.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums