Will The Good Witch's Garden become another Harry Potter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
I watched a series yesterday on W called The Good Witch's Garden. A new woman comes to town. The mayor's wife doesn't like her, because she is different. She grows and collects herbs, and claims that the essential oils have special powers.

I'm not sure, but it looks like the set of the Ghost Whisperer.

In the first episode, she was accused of being a witch, and so, thought to be evil. She meets a young girl who is having nightmares. Given a DreamCatcher, the nightmares are replace by dreams. Her brother asks for a spell for a bully that is beating him up. She gives him a crystal, and gives his instructions, which leads to the bully and the boy becoming friends, and understanding that the bully was being bullied, and not fed, by his father.

Basically, it's kind of like Touched by an Angel, only she seems to make Stone Soup, and people, believing in her power, believe in their own power, and overcome a strong difficulty.

The young girl says, "I want to be witch when I grow up!"

I immediately thought of all of the many soccer moms rushing to their phones, calling their prayer circles, afraid this show would encourage kids to want to be witches, as if they never played Bewitched as children themselves.

Here are my ethical questions:

Do you think it is ethical to influence the outcome of another's life - to have that kind of power, or control?
Christians pray, but may, for example, pray to be the one to get chosen for a job, or to win a game, which puts a "curse" on the opponents. Is this an ethical request?

Should one desire to control others or nature or fate? Should one cast a "love spell" on another to "make them" fall in love with you? Would you use it if you could?

Is showing witchcraft in this manner (a broom, implying she flies on it, having magical powers and influencing others, etc.) ethical when it is a gross misunderstanding of Wicca, and harmful to wiccans/witches/warlocks?

The show illustrates that those who are the most conservative and least tolerant, who are trying to shut the town down, end up creating an atmosphere of violence (the Mayor's boys vandalize the store), based mostly on the fact that they demand everyone to be the same, and harrass someone who is different. Is that a fair characterization? Is there a lesson there for us? Is that an unfair characterization of those who are more conservative? Is there a danger in intolerance in the real world?

Finally, there is a suggestion that she is a Good Witch, and that there are Good Witches and Bad Witches. There can be Bad Muslims (who fly planes in to buildings) and Good Muslims (whom I have taught or studied with). Is this true of all religions? Are there, for example, Good Christians, and Bad Christians? When I read about Christians who are praying for the death of Obama, is that the same as Bad Witches putting a curse on someone?

And, yeah, I can't believe I was watching W either.

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
Related to Harry Potter, I think that the biggest threat that HP had on society was some Christians getting overly concerned that their children would somehow turn to witchcraft from reading the books, and making themselves look ridiculous, and not to be taken seriously.

The books, which, for me, seemed almost like a formulaic allegory of Christianity, where Harry was looked down upon by his family (the world), but was a hero in magical world (Spiritual world), protected from Voldemort (Satan) because of his mother's sacrifice and love, where he learned magic (gifts of the Spirit) to protect him from dark forces. His muggle family demonstrated the sin of gluttony, gossip, status among men, pretentiousness, and materialism, show the ugly side of such values when help at such a priority. Meanwhile, Harry has to deal with being harmed and feelings of anger and revenge, confronting fear, learning lessons in loyalty to friends, honesty, and
taking the higher road.

And this was a threat to their children?

Upvote 0

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Do you think it is ethical to influence the outcome of another's life - to have that kind of power, or control?

Too vague. Open to interpretation. We influence our children's lives heavily. Can be good or bad. Our families, friends and coworkers. Same story.

I see deliberately harming another persons life to be unethical.

Christians pray, but may, for example, pray to be the one to get chosen for a job, or to win a game, which puts a "curse" on the opponents. Is this an ethical request?

We have narrow vision. We only concern ourselves with those whom we have close contact. We tend not to think about total strangers. Looking at the big picture, it is unethical in that it would give you an unfair advantage. I don't believe in curses though. I believe that praying for a job is fine, as well as performing well. When it comes to competitive gaming, I think it is a bit selfish.

Should one desire to control others or nature or fate? Should one cast a "love spell" on another to "make them" fall in love with you? Would you use it if you could?

We all have the desire to control aspects of our lives. To say it is right or wrong is vague. It may be seen right for me in the situation, but wrong for ten other people. In truth, we do influence some aspects of life through our actions.

Love spells are selfish, but at times in my life I would probably would have used one. It is all hypothetical, but a long or short term spell could have mixed results. I would rather be willingly loved for who I am, rather than through some deceptive means.

Is showing witchcraft in this manner (a broom, implying she flies on it, having magical powers and influencing others, etc.) ethical when it is a gross misunderstanding of Wicca, and harmful to wiccans/witches/warlocks?

I know very little about Wicca, but am very familiar with the Halloween stereotype of witches. I don't relate one to the other.

Is there a lesson there for us? Is that an unfair characterization of those who are more conservative? Is there a danger in intolerance in the real world?
I only saw bits of the movie. I don't know if it was a fair characterization of conservatives.

Intolerance, in my view, is very harmful to a diverse community.

Finally, there is a suggestion that she is a Good Witch, and that there are Good Witches and Bad Witches. There can be Bad Muslims (who fly planes in to buildings) and Good Muslims (whom I have taught or studied with). Is this true of all religions?

I believe the answer would be 'yes'. Humans can and do use their religions for positive and negative motives. Often, religions are twisted to conform to match followers desires. Religion can be used constructively or destructively, and viewed differently depending on what side of the fence you stand.

Are there, for example, Good Christians, and Bad Christians? When I read about Christians who are praying for the death of Obama, is that the same as Bad Witches putting a curse on someone?

Every person, Christian or not, have the potential to use their beliefs to negatively impact other people and situations. I don't believe in curses, and only believe that praying benefits the person praying (meditation wise).

Looking from the outside in, Christians praying for the death of Obama are misusing their conversation with God. I would categorize this as being hateful and selfish. I doubt God would appreciate this.

Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You totally did mischaracterized conservative Christians.

I am a "fundamentalist." I read fantasy novels all the time.

Maybe my kid would be stupid until he is 10 or 12 and think he can become a witch but it is no longterm danger as it becomes pretty obvious that magic doesn't exist.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.