• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Will near death experience accounts cause Christianity to find common ground with other religions?

Discussion in 'Christianity and World Religion' started by DennisTate, Nov 27, 2018.

1. yes

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. no

17 vote(s)
    65.4%
  3. Perhaps somewhat

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. I hope not

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. I do hope so.

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. Robban

Robban -----------

+1,619
    Sweden
    Judaism
    Divorced
    They were tough times, and much disagreement,

2. DennisTate

DennisTate Newbie Supporter

+1,149
    Canada
    Messianic
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    In the movie version of the book "Heaven is for Real" Pastor Todd Burpo was approached by a Palestinian woman while he was on a plane. She asked if he was Pastor Todd Burpo because she had read his book? He said that he was and she said that while she was home she and her family had a really good conversation about the book "Heaven is For Real.' She told him that she and her family were Muslim..... so at least in some cases these accounts can bring some people closer and give evidence for heaven........ and another place that is certainly not heaven.

The simplicity of what was shown to near death experiencer Bob Jones surprises many of us.

Bob Jones’ Testimony August 8, 1975 Death Experience

3. awitch

awitch Well-Known Member

+2,415
    United States
    Pagan
    Private
    US-Democrat
    Instilling a sense of hope in the next generation is certainly a good thing but telling them a real reward doesn't come until after death is probably less than effective.

A few history lessons might help. Look where we were when ignorance and war ravaged the planet and how far we've come. It's no paradise today and there's still plenty of work to do, but we're better off now.

Of course, if we don't get runaway climate change under control it's a moot point since there might not be a future (for humans, at least)

4. DennisTate

+1,149
    Canada
    Messianic
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    Since 2007 I have been promoting an alternative theory on stabilization of the climate that tends to appeal to people on the political right who for many reasons are scared of a Carbon Tax.

My 2006, my 2008 and my 2004 campaign writings by DennisTate.

This solution fits amazingly well with Isaiah 35

The wilderness and the dry land shall be glad; and the desert shall rejoice, and blossom as the rose.

2 It shall blossom abundantly, and rejoice even with joy and singing; the glory of Lebanon shall be given unto it, the excellency of Carmel and Sharon: they shall see the glory of Jehovah, the excellency of our God.

Then shall the lame man leap as a hart, and the tongue of the dumb shall sing; for in the wilderness shall waters break out, and streams in the desert.

7 And the glowing sand shall become a pool, and the thirsty ground springs of water: in the habitation of jackals, where they lay, shall be grass with reeds and rushes.

Near death experiencers are explaining how we humans have amazing power to alter the future for the better:

The Future and the Near-Death Experience

Turning deserts green on a large scale is now certainly possible and every cubic meter of ocean water that is desalinated and added to the water table of Israel, Jordan, Australia, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, California or Texas is good news for the residents of New Orleans, Miami, New York, Bangladesh and any other place vulnerable to rising ocean levels.

Cheap Water from the World’s Largest Modern Seawater Desalination Plant

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  5. DennisTate

+1,149
    Canada
    Messianic
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    What many Christians and Jews do not know about is how well the first century Messianic Jewish community got along with the Rabbinic Jewish community until the time of the Bar Kochba Revolt.

Should Christians support Rebuilding of Jerusalem Third Temple.

6. Robban

Robban -----------

+1,619
    Sweden
    Judaism
    Divorced
    Until there is unity among Jews all talk of Messiah and Temple are not worth much.

There is a great truth in James 4:1-3.

Would reckon.

7. juvenissun

juvenissun ... and God saw that it was good.

+771
    Baptist
    Married
    All religions recognize life after life. This is the common ground and we have it without the near death experience. However, this has nothing to do with God recognized in each religion.

8. Tolworth John

Tolworth John Well-Known Member

+2,088
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Two facts that argue against your idea.
    1. Jesus said that he was the life, the Truth and the Way. it doesn't matter what people belief, if they want to worship and serve God they have to do it through Jesus.

2. dne do not cause those who have them or read about them to seek Jesus. It is very much as jesus said in the story of the rich man and the beggar. If people won't believe the bible they won't believe if people come back from the dead.

9. Zoii

Zoii Well-Known Member

+3,108
    Australia
    Seeker
    Single
    I certainly would be good if religions did not take an adversarial approach towards one another

10. ananda

ananda Early Buddhist

+1,767
    Private
    From a Buddhist perspective, the problem with testimonies from OOBE's is that there are said to be various planes of existence (26 heavenly planes), many of which are populated with various god-like devas, each with individual personalities/wants/desires, among which the most powerful within a plane - not seeing higher planes - believe themselves to be almighty and preach thus.

As your quote itself points out, the "man in Christ" was caught up to a specific plane - "the third heaven".

Is this true? I don't know. However, the possibility of conflicting OOBE messages, and different planes of existence, complicates things, and presents a problem for "common ground-ing".

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. awitch

awitch Well-Known Member

+2,415
    United States
    Pagan
    Private
    US-Democrat
    We're talking about the sustainability of our planet and they're worried about a tax.

12. DennisTate

+1,149
    Canada
    Messianic
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    Yes.... because a Carbon Tax can be hijacked by bureaucrats and politicians and so messed up that it will not accomplish what Mr. Al Gore might have thought that it could.

A more direct approach to addressing stabilization of the climate will be much more effective:

Near death experiencer Mellen Benedict was shown that the climate would be stabilized and the earth saved.

near-death.com/reincarnation/experiences/mellen-thomas-benedict.html#a09

Near death experiencer Howard Storm Ph. D. was shown that many inventions were actually gifts from G-d!

Reverend Howard Storm's Near-Death Experience

Could this technology be one of those gifts given by inspiration from G-d?

13. DennisTate

+1,149
    Canada
    Messianic
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    Wow!!!!!

Bosonic String Theory postulates TWENTY SIX dimensions of space - time to unify all four forces into one fundamental force / energy!

My impression so far is that ultimately..... .there is really no contradiction at all between all of these OOBE and NDE accounts..... .it is just that the plans of the Creator for all of us cannot be put within the little tiny boxes that each of us were taught to use to make sense of this world and our place in it.

14. DennisTate

+1,149
    Canada
    Messianic
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    When I give a link to a lecture by near death experiencer Rabbi Alon Anava I would be really, really, really glad if an Athiest or two or three were to decide to follow this man and become full fledged Orthodox Jewish!

Rabbi Alon Anava states that there are 17 angels.......
    that have video technology far, far, far beyond DVD or HD or iMax.... and they record
    every instant of every human life...........
    These recordings are used in our LIFE REVIEW... .that is an important part of many near death experience accounts........

Information about those 17 angels who video tape each of us... .Jew and Gentile alike.....
    is given around the two minute mark in this video:

G-d has quite a sense of humour......
    one of the most amazing answers as to WHY seventeen angels would be following each of us around and taping all that we do.......
    is given after the nine minute mark in this video by a Christian near death experiencer:

I mention the humour of G-d because G-d arranged for some of the greatest wisdom to be revealed by somebody with an accent from the backwoods of Kentucky!

Christian near death experiencer Bob Jones was shown that a tiny piece of G-d the Father comes out at our conception! This really does make sense out of what could seem like conflicting information on the surface.

15. DennisTate

+1,149
    Canada
    Messianic
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    But.... .is Messiah Yeshua - Jesus free to appear to another people other than the original disciples?

John 10:16 “And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd."

Secondly..... could it be that Messiah Yeshua - Jesus wants people to love each other and could it be that the churches..... tend to teach competition and doctrines somewhat like a sales pitch .... rather than basic and genuine love?

Bob Jones’ Testimony August 8, 1975 Death Experience 

The Life Review part of a near death experience...... could it really be with Satan appearing as an angel of light??????

I don't think so!

John 5:22 “For the Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment to the Son,"

John 5:27 “and has given Him authority to execute judgment also, because He is the Son of Man."

So..... who do you think former Atheist Ms. Beverly Brodsky met during her near death experience?
    She felt that she had met the Messiah or G-d. I think that she is correct....... but is Messiah Yeshua - Jesus - Issa so nailed down by the words of his original disciples that he has to tell her his name while he was human?

I don't think so:

Beverly Brodsky's Near-Death Experience

16. DennisTate

+1,149
    Canada
    Messianic
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    What seems to surprise and even offend many Christians..... is the idea of G-d.........
    saving people from a different group who have not yet done what they have been taught that must be done...... in order to be saved!

On the surface..... if we take an overly simplistic approach to what was shown to former Atheist Howard Storm Ph. d...... it could seem to contradict:

Acts 4:12 “Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”

I personally believe that Messiah Yeshua - Jesus - Issa is much, much, much greater and more powerful since his resurrection and to him has been given all judgment........ .and just like the thief on the cross..... he can take anybody into paradise that he chooses to take into paradise...... for whatever criteria he chooses....... not necessarily what our human logic may understand...........

Luke 23:43 "And Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.”

Three time near death experiencer Dr. P. M. H. Atwater was shown something very similar about the three thousand who died on September 11, 2001....... in the terrorist attack on New York....... and what she was shown would seem overly optimistic to many Christians........... I believe that this is because we lack understanding of the Big Picture.

Luke 16:8 "And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he had done wisely: for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light."

17. DennisTate

+1,149
    Canada
    Messianic
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    An awakening is happening in Israel and within Judaism as near death experiencer Rabbi Alon Anava and young near death experiencer Natan do meetings. Natan was only fifteen years old back in 2015 when he had a near death experience and was shown some fascinating details about how the Era of Moshiach was coming fast!

Israeli teenager has near death experience and predicts....

18. Robban

Robban -----------

+1,619
    Sweden
    Judaism
    Divorced

Psalms 94

Shall He who implants the ear not hear?
    Shall He who forms the eye not see?
    Shall He who imparts knowledge to man (not know)?

19. ananda

ananda Early Buddhist

+1,767
    Private
    Would you say this includes ideas about "the Creator"?

20. DennisTate

+1,149
    Canada
    Messianic
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    I began to study near death experience accounts in 1990 and I was shown
    error after error after error after error in my own ideas and world view.

I met an Israeli in 2010 or 2011 or so through the internet who is involved in getting the remains of Rabbi Nachman of Breslov moved from the Ukraine to somewhere in Israel.

If I had not already had twenty years studying NDE accounts..... i would have had no clue about the astonishing depth of wisdom in the teachings of Rabbi Nachman but.......
    because i had some background.... i was able to recognize Rabbi Nachman as one of the most astonishing intellects to walk this earth in 2000 years!

Rabbi Nachman of Breslov may help to unite Jews, Christians and Moslems????