Manassas
✟15,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
John 3:16-17 KJV "For God so loves the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world but that the world through him might be saved."

I always thought that only a select few were going to be saved after Judgement Day but after reading this passage in the Bible (King James Version), I am reconsidering what I had always believed. If God has been actively trying to save the world from condemnation (and by extension, hell), then won't this have an effect on the quantity of souls saved?

I think it does because if God loves us all and wants the best for each and every one of us, then won't we be given all the chances we need to accept Him and become saved? The world clearly is a lot more than just Christianity and atheism.

P
port41919
What does your last sentence mean?
Upvote 0
Diamond7
Diamond7
Jesus said few would be saved and many would perish. But few could be less than the majority and many would be more than the majority. The OT tells us that 1/3 will be saved. Even though they will be purified by fire. Some say this is a reference to Israel, but the usual interpretation is that this applies to the gentiles also.
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-​

God will only saved people who believe that Jesus (of the new testament) is the promised Messiah, The Unique Only Begotten Son of God from the prophecies of The Tanakh. That is the only way a person can receive God's free gift of Eternal Life salvation because Jesus is God and The Resurrection and The Life.

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”
She said to Him, “Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

Last edited:
Reactions: port41919
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Tomorrow's lectionary reading in my church is Romans 5:12-19, which ends like this:

"Therefore just as one man's trespass led to condemnation for all, so one man's act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all. For just as by the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man's obedience the many will be made righteous."

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In John 5:22-30, the final judgment is that the good will be saved and the evil will not be. A Christian is saved by grace shown in good works ( Ephesians 2:8-10) & must mean it ( Matthew 7:20-23). A non Christian has no assurance of salvation but should not be assumed to be damned; God will judge their works ( Matthew 7:1-12, Romans 2:1-29),

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Read Rev where John asks about all those people in heaven that no one could number. Those were just those from the great tribulation. Lets keep going. Now know first GOD can never lie and means every word every letter He says. So what did God say to Abraham ""Look up at the heavens and count the stars--if indeed you can count them." Then he said to him, "So shall your offspring be." Abram believed the LORD,"

Christ said if you were blind you would have no sin. You say you see your sin remains. Yeah most are blind.. well whos Jesus is He going to hold everyone accountable to? Yours mine? Baptist, Catholics, Mormons, JW, SDA, WOF on and on. Each one knows what they believe is true. So this is why I believe most are blind. Then really? God leaves heaven becomes His creation...yeah He is not leaving some ones soul up to us. Its written He does not need anyone to do all this He chooses to use us. Fact God does not has not will not ever lose He can't. I praise HIM so much that MAN has no say in this what so ever. We try but we get no say. We don't get to look into HIs books nor do we get to look at anyones heart only He does. He does not leave this up to man. He paid the price for every human. Hell was made for Satan not man. There was no place found for Satan in heaven... so seems like God in HIs mercy made a place for Satan with out God. Never made for man. Just a thought I have

Upvote 0

I's2C

Aug 28, 2021
North Platte
✟35,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
John 3:16-17 KJV "For God so loves the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world but that the world through him might be saved."

I always thought that only a select few were going to be saved after Judgement Day but after reading this passage in the Bible (King James Version), I am reconsidering what I had always believed. If God has been actively trying to save the world from condemnation (and by extension, hell), then won't this have an effect on the quantity of souls saved?

I think it does because if God loves us all and wants the best for each and every one of us, then won't we be given all the chances we need to accept Him and become saved? The world clearly is a lot more than just Christianity and atheism.
GOD will only save those who want to be saved. Seek first the kingdom and the rest will fallow. GOD is looking out for those who love HIM and if the rest want to go to hell, its their choice. HE did not creat robots to make them do HIS will, HE wants them to freely love HIM and be saved your choice. The whole purpose of this age is to purge out the bad elements so the rest of us can live in harmony forever.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Welcome to CF!
John 3:16 tells it all.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

Christoph Maria

Dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return...
Sep 10, 2022
Göteborg, Sweden
✟66,611.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour

hello_friend.gif

Welcome to Christian Forums!

LORD, those who know you will trust in You.
You have never deserted those who look to You.
Psalms 9:10

"Here is what I am commanding you to do:
Be strong and brave.
Do not be terrified.
Do not lose hope.
I am the LORD your God.
I will be with you everywhere you go."

Joshua 1:9

"Judah, listen to me!
People of Jerusalem, listen to me!
Have faith in the LORD your God.
He'll take good care of you.
Have faith in his prophets.
Then you will have success."

2 Chronicles 20:20

Some trust in chariots.
Some trust in horses.
But we trust in the LORD our God.

Psalms 20:7

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The Bible tells us that God is love and that the nature that He requires in us is love. However scripture presents the idea that mankind, as a creation, draws away from this, that man tends toward wickedness.

Gen 6:5-6 Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And the LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart.

The law that God abides by is one of requiring his creatures to abandon evil, live justly, and love mercy. The fact is creation tends to move away from this. We often do not see what man is capable of because God has put limits on how long man lives.

Gen 6:3 And the LORD said, "My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, for he is indeed flesh; yet his days shall be one hundred and twenty years."

If man we able to live longer life spans we would see this evil surface. Jesus did say:

Mat 7:12-14 Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets. "Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

This scripture suggests two things, 1) God requires compassion in His creation, 2) a large portion of people choose to not walk in it. It tends against human nature.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Mainstream Christian teaching has, historically, emphasized that truly, really, God is pro-salvation, He is pro-active in saving us. He's not sitting in the back waiting for us to find Him, He meets us in our own weakness and sin, loving us through the Gospel, loving us through Jesus.

Paradise doesn't have limited seating. The great feast that God is inviting the whole world to come and share is more than enough for everyone. Will everyone, in the end, be saved? Tragically, at least as Scripture suggests, it seems at least some will fully and utterly and bitterly reject it. But it has nothing to do with God not wanting anyone, it's not even about God refusing anyone. God refuses none. God is for all.

So, in the end, the only thing keeping someone out of eternal life is themselves. God chooses us for heaven, it is only man who chooses himself for hell.

Anyone who claims to know who is and isn't saved is not speaking for God.

It is true that Christ said "narrow is the way to life, and few are those who find it", but it is a leap to claim this means heaven will have only a handful of people. Because in saying this people claim to themselves be among some special few who can follow the narrow way--that is hubris. We all are bent and orientated toward the broad way of destruction, St. Paul in Romans says "There is no one who is righteous, no not even one." In Romans 3:23 he says "For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." All are condemned already, because all have sinned.

Salvation is not about living righteously to earn salvation from God. Salvation is Jesus Christ, the only One who is righteous, dying for us--for us sinners, all of us sinners, bearing our death, bearing the shame and weight of all our guilt and being crushed by it on the cross. Enduring the searing loss of life, His life, for us. That by death He might defeat death, and rising from the dead utterly destroy the power of sin, death, hell, and the devil which holds us in dread and terrible chains. Christ has overcome, and grants us by His own life, to share in Him and His life which He lives before the Father. To receive His righteousness as a pure gift, through faith, which is the grace of God. Our sins are freely forgiven. And so, through faith, God unites us to His own Son.

So in the end, how many are saved? All who are Christ's, all whom God knows in love through His Son. For He is "the Savior of the whole world, especially of those who believe." (1 Timothy 4:10).

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0