Will a Greek orthodox church marry an orthodox christian with a baptist?

Feb 17, 2009
Brisbane
✟15,908.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
in that case then perhaps i SHOULD marry my fiance in his church. that way, if i find the truth in the orthodox church he can discover it with me and it wont seem like i'm forcing him to convert. it will be a much more natural transition for him and perhaps we will end up like the couple in your story. thank you :)

I can relate to what your saying. I wish to marry a protestant girl, however To leave orthodoxy is not an option for me. She must convert. I know this is a hard truth to acknowledge, but what is the point on having a marriage if its illegitimate in the eyes of God?

As many people have said I recommend speaking to your confession father about these matters, and be completely honest.

Please pray for me a sinner.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think your going to have to talk with your fiancee, because if he's devout and your agnostic its going to lead to problems with raising kids. Does he know that you dont really believe in the faith regardless of affiliation? You have to becareful with this

Upvote 0

bukroot

Apr 9, 2011
Greece
✟15,190.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I can relate to what your saying. I wish to marry a protestant girl, however To leave orthodoxy is not an option for me. She must convert. I know this is a hard truth to acknowledge, but what is the point on having a marriage if its illegitimate in the eyes of God?

As many people have said I recommend speaking to your confession father about these matters, and be completely honest.

Please pray for me a sinner.

i will. i'm going to talk to him sometime this week. but i don't think we should go so far as to say that all other marriages other than orthodox marriages are legit.

Upvote 0
Feb 17, 2009
Brisbane
✟15,908.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
i will. i'm going to talk to him sometime this week. but i don't think we should go so far as to say that all other marriages other than orthodox marriages are legit.

Legally it is a marriage, but it isn't the sacrament of Marriage, which can only be given in the Church. Please pray for me.

Upvote 0

Macarius

Progressive Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2007
The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Legally it is a marriage, but it isn't the sacrament of Marriage, which can only be given in the Church. Please pray for me.

I'm not sure the EO would say that. We would say "we cannot 100% verify that it is the sacrament of marriage" - but God's grace belongs to God, not to man. We don't hold a monopoly on it. There are many marriages which, by the evidence of their communion of love for one another, are quite full of God's grace despite not being within Orthodoxy. We just, as Orthodox, have CONFIDENCE in the sacramental truth of marriages within the Orthodox communion. More seriously, receiving sacraments outside the Orthodox faith excommunicates one from Orthodoxy (by definition) - that's a fairly serious thing.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I'm not sure the EO would say that. We would say "we cannot 100% verify that it is the sacrament of marriage" - but God's grace belongs to God, not to man. We don't hold a monopoly on it. There are many marriages which, by the evidence of their communion of love for one another, are quite full of God's grace despite not being within Orthodoxy. We just, as Orthodox, have CONFIDENCE in the sacramental truth of marriages within the Orthodox communion. More seriously, receiving sacraments outside the Orthodox faith excommunicates one from Orthodoxy (by definition) - that's a fairly serious thing.

If only marriages in the OC were really marriages, wouldn't that mean that all the pre-Christian figures like Abraham and so on were not really married?

And it seems odd to me to talk as if there is no meaning to a non-Christian marriage if it is true that marriage is somehow proper to man?

Not sure what my question is here really:confused:

Upvote 0

bukroot

Apr 9, 2011
Greece
✟15,190.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
If only marriages in the OC were really marriages, wouldn't that mean that all the pre-Christian figures like Abraham and so on were not really married?

And it seems odd to me to talk as if there is no meaning to a non-Christian marriage if it is true that marriage is somehow proper to man?

i know how you feel.

Upvote 0

Gregorios

Blessed is our God
Mar 1, 2011
West Virginia
Visit site
✟9,342.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

In answer to your first question, yes they were really married because they pre-dated Christ coming in the flesh and establishing the Church. Any marriage that pre-dates that would be considered sacramental marriage. Also, it is not that there is no meaning, it's just non-sacramental, meaning we cannot be 100% sure that God has blessed the union, only can we be 100% sure that the union is blessed by God if the marriage takes place within the Orthodox Church. The Church acknowledges marriages that take place outside of her as a marriage but it is not sacramental and so wether God has blessed the union or not, we could not say, but because there clearly is and or was a union, we recognize that it is a marriage.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Non-sacramental marriages outside the church can be based on anything from the natural law (which would include polygamy in many cultures) to a business contract, to the roman catholic concept of annullment.

On the other hand all sacraments are vehicles of grace and foretastes of what is to come. In the Mystery of Orthodox marriage the two become one, the way Christ is one with the Church- which is His body. In greek a spouse is called a 'suziyo' which literally is the yoke which binds two horses together which pulls a carriage.

IN the sacrament of marriage the horseman is Christ and the couple is asked to do the will of Christ. It is the mystic unity which Christ has with the Church, as he steers it. The two become one, being yoked turning right or left or going straight ahead in unison as Christ wills them. If you are unequally yoked this unity is absent. An Orthodox sacramental marriage is not rooted in love nor lust but in God. The sacrament is a form of martyrdom where each self dies and sacrifices for the sake of the other. As Paul taught that a husband is to give himself up to his wife as Christ gave himself up to the Church on the cross (Eph 5.25)

In an Orthodox sacramental marriage the home becomes the arena where the family works out their salvation. The children are baptised and the home becomes a church in of itself. As Christ said where two or three are gathered in my name i am in the midst of them. The sacrament of marriage and the home they create is (if done right) is a foretaste of the bridal chamber that we will enter in . As the Holy Week services of Monday and tuesday recall:

"How shall I, the unworthy one, appear in the splendor of Thy saints?
For if I dare enter Thy bridal chamber with them my garments will betray me: they are unfit for a wedding.
The angels will cast me out in chains.
Cleans the filth of my soul, O Lord, and save me in Thy love for mankind.
O Christ the Bridegroom, my soul has slumbered in laziness.
I have no lamp aflame with virtues.
Like the foolish virgins I wander aimlessly when it is time for work.
But do not close Thy compassionate heart to me, O Master.
Rouse me, shake off my heavy sleep.
Lead me with the wise virgins into the bridal chamber, that I may hear the pure voice of those that feast and cry unceasingly: O Lord, glory to Thee!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Feb 17, 2009
Brisbane
✟15,908.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Forgive me for using absolute terms. I have been struggling in my spiritual faith lately and considered leaving so I have had to be very strict. What I meant by my statement was that there is absolutely no garantee outside of the Apostolic Faith that the Sacrament of Marriage is valid. Only God knows of Coarse, but we know we must get married in the church. Please forgive me my brothers and sisters and pray for me

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
In answer to your first question, yes they were really married because they pre-dated Christ coming in the flesh and establishing the Church. Any marriage that pre-dates that would be considered sacramental marriage. Also, it is not that there is no meaning, it's just non-sacramental, meaning we cannot be 100% sure that God has blessed the union, only can we be 100% sure that the union is blessed by God if the marriage takes place within the Orthodox Church. The Church acknowledges marriages that take place outside of her as a marriage but it is not sacramental and so wether God has blessed the union or not, we could not say, but because there clearly is and or was a union, we recognize that it is a marriage.

Are you sure that is correct? I was under the impression that before Christ, there were no sacraments available to people?

Non-sacramental marriages outside the church can be based on anything from the natural law (which would include polygamy in many cultures) to a business contract, to the roman catholic concept of annullment.

I sniped your post just to save room - I understand the Orthodox concept of sacramental marriage - so would you say there is then a concept of what might be called a natural marriage? If so, would you say that it could potentially (not necessarily) be a vehicle for grace, just as a sacramental one would be?

I just have a hard time imaging, say, Joachim and Anna being outside of that.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Marriage is instituted in the book of genesis, a book which literally constitutes the Law (torah) in judaism. So outside the church there is some sort of recognizeable natural law of marriage. But just as the Law came through Moses, grace came from Jesus Christ, so I cant see how sacramental marriage can exist outside the church.

Upvote 0