JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If his wife earns "double" what he earns - and that is the OP's word, which I have no reason to doubt - then the position that she has at work probably makes it evident that she makes a lot more money. He hasn't specified what she does and what he does, but in most circumstances, if you know people's job titles, you can make a pretty good guess that the one who is a, for instance, marketing director, is earning a heck of a lot more than someone who is a postal worker. I have NO idea what the OP and his wife do, so that is just an example.

Upvote 0

Sailor_A

Jun 7, 2011
Earth
✟8,352.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As a student any earnings I make are really insignificant so my husband earns all the money. Her relatives may not be doing this on purpose to offend you as you know but maybe your wife could have a private word with them. Whenever they mention something as hers she could remind them that you two are married and and it belongs to the both of you.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That just sounds childish and like a challenge, and evidently they do know somehow, so it leaves them open to say "yeah, we do. You make $xxx" and that would probably make him feel even worse. Better to figure out with his wife - bearing in mind this is her family of birth - how best to tackle this issue. Or to let her handle it, because her handling it shows them that she is one with her husband, and that she will not let them be offensive to him.

This sounds wise to me.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thanks guys. Not every man can come home to a beautiful wife and dinner already cooked every single day. I need to let little stuff like this go. You're right, it's hard sometime especially when you're stressed out about something but I'll learn to pray and let go.

I will speak up next time and put them in their spot(in a nice way of course)

I was very angry at her nephew but felt it was out of my place to yell at him.

She was jokingly asking if she can get a haircut because we both understand that we have to communicate when it comes to our budget so she had no intention of hurting me.

FYI. We've been married 8 months.
Congratulations on your marriage. If that were me, it would mean the world to me if it were my husband that corrected his nephew (or anyone) that was making comments about income being his. What was your wife's reaction, BTW?

Why do all these people know how much you earn? My family (and my husband's) don't know how much we earn. They know our earning potential, but not the actual figure. It may be a cultural thing, but it's considered rude where I live to ask how much someone earns. I know you can't erase their memories, but for the future, I just think not talking about it with everyone might help stop the comments.
That's what I'm wondering as well.....what the two of you make is your own business. Questions about spending money should be kept private, if possible, too (IMO).

ETA: I missed this post of Janes:

Better to figure out with his wife - bearing in mind this is her family of birth - how best to tackle this issue. Or to let her handle it, because her handling it shows them that she is one with her husband, and that she will not let them be offensive to him.

What she said.

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well whether is the OP or his wife that makes the response, it's just important, imo, that they are on the same page and in agreement. I didn't see where the OP said that he had talked to his wife about his feelings, and I hope that he has, because it's better to share that than get into a situation were one spouse is building up hurt feelings and resentment. One thing that is important in my marriage - but which took a while to establish - is that it has to be safe for both my spouse and I to vent about each other's families to each other (and about our own families to each other too.) That's part of the two becoming one, strictly imho of course.

Upvote 0

aaron3719

May 23, 2011
Visit site
✟8,454.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thanks guys.

I told her how I felt later that day and she understands. She works at Lockheed so everybody assumes she makes more than me but I'm not arguing.

I will write her a letter about how I feel, I'm better at writing than speaking it out.

She thinks I feel that way because of the fact that she makes more but it's not at all. It's the people's comments that gets to me because I'm not perfect.

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, do you think she didn't understand what you were saying? I'm a bit confused because you said that she understands, and then that she thinks you feel that way becasue she makes more than you. If so, then she doesn't really understand what you are saying, does she? It's the rudeness that she isn't seeing.

Did she say that she would respond to her relatives, or that she agreed that you should?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
She understood some parts of it because I didn't really go into details and showed the whole picture about how I feel like I've been sharing with you guys that's the thing.
Then you need to share the full picture. I know it is still early in your marriage, and that's why I think it is important to establish good communication and openness. If writing her a letter helps, then go for it, but really commit to explaining your full feelings. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0