Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
I know there are some neo-pagans around, but are the also some Wiccans? I'd like to learn how much you know about Gerald Gardner and the roots of your religion, and whether you feel that your path would be less authentic if it weren't an undiluted bronze age religion heralding from an unbroken line of tradition.

Reactions: BrianOnEarth

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
I think it's more of a result of ambiguous wording:
I suspect that many traditional/Gardnerian Wiccans *believe* that they practice an ancient religion, regardless of the facts - so my question is whether they need to deny that Gardner pretty much created his tradition from scratch, and still believe in what has come to be called "Murrayisms".

Reactions: marlowe007
Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
Any form of witchcraft and sorcery is a no-no if you follow the precepts of the Bible.

Adn that's a BIG if, seeing how there are plenty of Non-Christians out there - both in the world and on this forum.

Upvote 0

Gardenia

Of the Hearth and Hedge
May 1, 2005
New Hampshire
✟18,792.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I know there are some neo-pagans around, but are the also some Wiccans? I'd like to learn how much you know about Gerald Gardner and the roots of your religion, and whether you feel that your path would be less authentic if it weren't an undiluted bronze age religion heralding from an unbroken line of tradition.

While I am no longer a Wiccan, I was in the past. At no point did I believe that Wicca was an unbroken tradition from some ancient time. I knew about Gardner and the others who influenced his work, and it never really mattered to me that the tradition was a mix of some old ideas, and some new ideas, that didn't go back much before the 50's.

I suspect that many traditional/Gardnerian Wiccans *believe* that they practice an ancient religion, regardless of the facts

I have found many Gardnerian or other traditional or initiated Wiccans are the ones most likely to know about the actual history of Wicca.
I don't meet many Wiccans who believe that Wicca is an ancient religion much these days... usually they are new and working from older, or just plain bad, sources.

Upvote 0

All Englands Skies

Christian-Syndicalist
Nov 4, 2008
Midlands
✟221,157.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
seeing how there are plenty of Non-Christians out there - both in the world and on this forum.

A bit off topic, but ive never understood why some of them bother coming on this forum, I mean, I dont get it, Do people enjoy endless debates or what?

Some people waste a lot of time on a forum about something they dont believe in.

On topic, I know some people who claim to be wiccans, they were also "eco-warriors/protestors"

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
A bit off topic, but ive never understood why some of them bother coming on this forum, I mean, I dont get it, Do people enjoy endless debates or what?

Some people waste a lot of time on a forum about something they dont believe in.

On topic, I know some people who claim to be wiccans, they were also "eco-warriors/protestors"

That's why most of them left after the safezone was removed, but some of us just like the abuse :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All Englands Skies

Christian-Syndicalist
Nov 4, 2008
Midlands
✟221,157.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
That's why most of them left after the safezone was removed, but some of us just like the abuse :p

I can actually buy it when non-Christians say that we "Christians forcing their view down throats" view in most places, but a Christian forums seems the one place it seems a bit in vein, I mean, its like going into a Heavy metal concert, than complaining the Music is too loud and can they play soul instead.

Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0

Booko

Poultry in Motion
Aug 14, 2006
Georgia
✟19,470.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I think it's more of a result of ambiguous wording:
I suspect that many traditional/Gardnerian Wiccans *believe* that they practice an ancient religion, regardless of the facts - so my question is whether they need to deny that Gardner pretty much created his tradition from scratch, and still believe in what has come to be called "Murrayisms".

I saw WickedWit show up recently on All Beliefs where you could ask her. She's a reconstructionist and I expect would have quite a bit to say in answer for a question like this. Hm, it's possible she's already talked there about Gardner and her opinions on his role in Wicca.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gardenia

Of the Hearth and Hedge
May 1, 2005
New Hampshire
✟18,792.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat

It's not that odd, is it? Some come for the debate, and some for the discussion (which, imo, use to be a lot easier around here a few years back). To learn about Christianity (and other religions in this sub forum), to answer questions about their own religion. There are several Christians and atheists on the pagan forum I go to... some are there just to stir up trouble, but most come for the discussion. Nothing wrong with some good interfaith dialogue, when you can get it. :) The more good information out there, the more we can understand each other.

Reactions: NiamhDhabolt
Upvote 0

Livindesert

Jun 21, 2005
✟2,834.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are several Christians and atheists on the pagan forum I go to... some are there just to stir up trouble.

Yup you see that a lot on this board.

As for me I attended (but never joined) a Wiccan cricle for about a year. All those at that circle were very knowledgeable about Gardiner and Wicca history but also felt that by learning about the polythesist of the past they are connecting with them.

Upvote 0

sidhe

Seemly Unseelie
Sep 27, 2004
Couldharbour
✟27,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I used to be in a BTW coven (many, many moons ago), and the HP would have had a total meltdown if you implied that Wicca didn't have an unbroken lineage to the stone age.

Of course, he also had a total meltdown when I remarked on the rather impressive amount of Crowley's poetry Valiente seemed to have borrowed for the BoS.

His disconnect from reality was pretty much total.

Upvote 0