Wicca - Good or Evil

Existential1

Jan 2, 2004
Caputh, Perthshire
✟2,128.00
Faith
Too tired to discuss.

But I just read a Volos authored sketch of the Wiccan perspective, in another thread: and it all smelt rather nice; pretty natural.

So, what that sketch triggered for me: was more to do with how Christianity can so often manufacture its own theologically mediated lanscape; into which it can dissapear, to no good purpose.

I suppose I felt a breeze from the real world, in this Wiccan word: and then thought, why is this breeze absent, so often, from the Christian word.
Christianity can so often be cerebrally driven, and into conceptual cul-de-sacs that jsut have no reality.
There is no way I would turn to the Wiccan, I'm too much of a Christ addict: but it makes you think of what's gone missing; and you wonder just why.

Upvote 0

Stellar Vision

Mar 17, 2004
Raleigh, NC
✟138,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have no problem with people practicing Wicca. It baffles me why there's still hatred toward this religion.

I really don't know that much about Wicca; the other threads are incredible long. I've read some posts that gave a pretty thorough overview of the religion, but I personally have not had any experience with it.

Reactions: Starcrystal
Upvote 0

bt_st_At

I will not Conform but find my own way!!
Jan 22, 2004
California
Visit site
✟552.00
Faith
Pagan
Wicca does the samething to people as Christianity does for people. So the rules are different and so on and so forth. The idea of both is that you live a good life learn from mistakes and don't harm others.

That doesn't seem all that evil to me but who knows...

Upvote 0

bt_st_At

Jan 22, 2004
California
Visit site
✟552.00
Faith
Pagan
Lifesaver said:
It is evil, first because it is false, and also morally because it doesn't even accept the reality of sin, and thus doesn't stress the necessite of repentance.

Stop comparing it to the rules and by-laws of Christianity if it followed those rules it wouldn't be called Wicca my friend.

And the reality of Sin is that IS Evil we don't go to Hell we get our 'hand' smacked whenever we do something wrong teaching us not to do it again. It works the same way with everyone else you just don't except/acknowledge it the same way we do. It's called the Three-folds Law or KARMA!!! :D

To the False comment just because you have a book stating it is false doesn't mean it is, I'm sorry it just doesn't work that way. However believe what you wish until you look into the matter throughly you will be wrong..(just an opinion)

Okay done for now
Blessed Be

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

April_May_mylittleangel

Jul 6, 2004
Qld. Gold Coast
✟15,163.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I am christion. But i am interested in other religeons, especially wicca. I don't believe there is a single evil or good religeon out there. It is what you make of it. I myslelf would like to understand and learn different religeons, like wicca budda etc. A single religeon cant be classed as good or evel. as i said. ITS WAT YOU MAKE OF IT. If anyone would like to share some info or something on your religeon or belief, give me the low down for all means. I'd be happy to understand you better.

Upvote 0

bt_st_At

Jan 22, 2004
California
Visit site
✟552.00
Faith
Pagan
April_May_mylittleangel said:
I am christion. But i am interested in other religeons, especially wicca. I don't believe there is a single evil or good religeon out there. It is what you make of it. I myslelf would like to understand and learn different religeons, like wicca budda etc. A single religeon cant be classed as good or evel. as i said. ITS WAT YOU MAKE OF IT. If anyone would like to share some info or something on your religeon or belief, give me the low down for all means. I'd be happy to understand you better.

Well at least someone here doesn't think it's evil...sheesh

Blessed Be ;)

Upvote 0

sacred_stone

Uniquely Complex
Jul 1, 2004
In the Big City
✟320.00
Faith
Pagan
Any of the above that lead people away from God is evil.
What about hypocritical Christians who turn people away from God? Are they not evil?

I hate the word "evil". It's a very loaded and offensive term. To say "it's evil because it's a lie" makes that individual, on that token, just as evil for spreading the lie. It's not a lie to us. It's not a false doctrine. Why do Christians insist upon calling Wiccans and other world religions "evil"? We don't do that just because we don't follow your beliefs system. We don't worship a book, clergyman, etc. We don't worship a god that requires our 24/7 begging for forgiveness. We don't go into the Wiccan faith out of fear (dieing and going to hell).

Upvote 0

Lifesaver

Fides et Ratio
Jan 8, 2004
São Paulo, Brazil
✟16,097.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
sacred_stone said:
What about hypocritical Christians who turn people away from God? Are they not evil?
In so far as hipocrisy is evil, yes they are (if they are truly hipocritical, of course).

I hate the word "evil". It's a very loaded and offensive term. To say "it's evil because it's a lie" makes that individual, on that token, just as evil for spreading the lie.
It depends on whether he is culpable or not for spreading something false.

It's not a lie to us.
When something is not true, sacred_stone, it is not true for everyone. If magick doesn't exist, it doesn't exist for everyone.

Why do Christians insist upon calling Wiccans and other world religions "evil"?
God is good, and all that He created is good.
Anything that detracts one's path from good, that is, from the path of God, is evil.

We don't do that just because we don't follow your beliefs system. We don't worship a book, clergyman, etc.
And neither do Christians.

We don't worship a god that requires our 24/7 begging for forgiveness. We don't go into the Wiccan faith out of fear (dieing and going to hell).
Do you not beg forgiveness to God?
Or do you think you don't need to be forgiven?

Reactions: angelnstix
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sacred_stone

Uniquely Complex
Jul 1, 2004
In the Big City
✟320.00
Faith
Pagan
Lifesaver said:
In so far as hipocrisy is evil, yes they are (if they are truly hipocritical, of course).
Oh okay, so as long as we're on the same page let me throw this little tidbit of information out to you. Wiccans/Pagans/Satanists/Buddhists/Etc. do not recruit, proselytize, or evangelize to gain members. Christianity, on the other hand, is famous for trying to convert and recruit members. We pretty much stay to ourselves and only discuss our beliefs when prompted. I don't go handing out literature on Wicca or Paganism and tell people to join us if they want to live eternally.

Now, this may come as a shock to you, but almost every non-christian I know was either raised in a Christian home, or converted to Christianity at some point in their childhood or teen years. Most were forced to attend church until they moved away from home. They didn't de-convert because they encountered a Wiccan somewhere. They turned away from Christianity because of other Christians. So as you see, it's not us who are doing the leading away from Christianity. It's other Christians.

Lifesaver said:
When something is not true, sacred_stone, it is not true for everyone. If magick doesn't exist, it doesn't exist for everyone.
Well I'm glad you think you have a handle on something as grandios and complex as universal truth (which, for the most part, is a Christian conjured myth).

God is good, and all that He created is good.
Anything that detracts one's path from good, that is, from the path of God, is evil.
But whose to say your god is the correct one, therefore rendering it universal truth and everything else is wrong? Are you so limited in mental capacity that you lack the ability to comprehend concepts regarding more than one deity? You are basing your belief (that your god is the only "correct" one and that everyone else is wrong and evil) on a book and faith. I base my beliefs on the same thing. So how do we know whose right and whose wrong? We don't.

Do you not beg forgiveness to God?

Not hardly. My Gods and Goddesses don't have an ego complex like yours does.

Or do you think you don't need to be forgiven?
Not by my Deities. If I wrong someone then of course, I need to seek their forgiveness. But I don't need my "sins" to be absolved by a wrathful and possessive god.

Reactions: bt_st_At
Upvote 0

challenger

Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Jun 5, 2004
Visit site
✟8,889.00
Faith
Other Religion
Lifesaver said:
By the same token, if God doesn't exist, He doesn't exist for everyone; if Jesus was never the Christ, then he wasn't the Christ for anyone.

Why assume that your archaic system of mysticism is more valid than anyone else's archaic system of mysticism?

Upvote 0

Isis-Astoroth

Jan 4, 2004
England
✟8,745.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Good and Evil is a human concept, therefore Wicca cannot be evil. I commend Wiccans in my home country for demanding that they are not descriminated against and that some of their religion is taught in school. I find it a shame that 'smaller' religions are pushed aside and classed as unimportant.

Upvote 0

Cordelia

Temperamental Girl of God
Apr 14, 2004
Leeds, United Kingdom
✟10,155.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
It doesn't make a lot of sense to call Wicca 'evil', with all its emphasis on goodness. I'm a Christian...with a lot of respect for core Wiccan beliefs. I would never claim to speak for God and denounce them as evil.

Upvote 0

WiccanHeart

Eclectic Wiccan
May 28, 2004
Southern Cali
✟248.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Lifesaver said:
It is evil, first because it is false, and also morally because it doesn't even accept the reality of sin, and thus doesn't stress the necessite of repentance.

I just wanted to expand on the Three fold law and Karma. That is why Wiccans don't accept the reality of 'sin'. The universe pays us back through karma. If we do something in this life or past good or bad it will come back to us 3 times stronger. That is another reason a Wiccan practicing witchcraft would more than likely not do a bad spell because it will come back 3 times. There is no need for the Gods to forgive us necessarily because it will come back to us eventually. This is not to say we do anything we want. We follow "An' it harm none, do what thou will" to keep us in check as well.

Let me ask a question. Do you think Wicca is evil solely because it is not Christianity and therefore a "lie" to you or it's practices. Do you differenciate Wiccan from Satanism(which isn't evil either)? Do you know our practices at all? Forgive me if this has been talked about before. These threads get long fast and I don't read *all* of the posts.

Blessed Be,

WiccanHeart

Upvote 0