Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟34,722.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Christians have a responsability to take care of the trust that God has given us in this nation. We also have a responsability since are part of this nation to do our best to see that it doesn't do evil.

On candidates, My first choices are Fred Thompson and Ron Paul. Huckabee's history shows one of two things, either he is a liberal on many issues, or he is incapable of standing up to a liberal legislature and fighting for his own beliefs... either way it doesn't speak that well for him as president.
The fact that he is endorsed by the NEA and lists the head of the CFR (one of the biggest one worlders) as a foreign policy advisor, also do not bode well.

After watching the debate last night, I have to say they are all talking a great game. If only we could actually trust that they would actually be the men they talk themselves up to be, almost anyone of them would be good.

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm voting Fred Thompson....

2nd choice is Gulliani.

I heard Rush Limbaugh & Thompson define Huckabee's overly liberal fiscal views & principles and I'm not interested.
He may be a Christian, but that doesn't mean he has wisdom to lead while using a liberal worldview.

No thanks.
It's always been my concern that if Huckabee won the Repub. primary, that he'd end up losing to Hillary or Obama becuz he won't win the independant, swing or democratic votes anyways.

To me it needs to be Gulliani or Thompson... or even McCain (3rd choice - altho I dislike him for his need to be liked by everyone. He's more a follower than leader).

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟34,722.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

2nd choice is Gulliani.

I heard Rush Limbaugh & Thompson define Huckabee's overly liberal fiscal views & principles and I'm not interested.
He may be a Christian, but that doesn't mean he has wisdom to lead while using a liberal worldview.

No thanks.
It's always been my concern that if Huckabee won the Repub. primary, that he'd end up losing to Hillary or Obama becuz he won't win the independant, swing or democratic votes anyways.

To me it needs to be Gulliani or Thompson... or even McCain (3rd choice - altho I dislike him for his need to be liked by everyone. He's more a follower than leader).
Gulliani's campaign strategy is backfiring big time, he's dropped like a rock in the polls.

Its probably also a combination with the fact that he always just says the same things over and over.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

2nd choice is Gulliani.

No thanks.

Very interesting, Nadiine. That is just about identical to the way I see it at this time.

With Fred Thompson, at least we vote our principles. With most of the others we have to compromise them somewhat, but with Huckabee I can't think of a single thing that recommends him which one of the others doesn't also have but better.

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Very interesting, Nadiine. That is just about identical to the way I see it at this time.

With Fred Thompson, at least we vote our principles. With most of the others we have to compromise them somewhat, but with Huckabee I can't think of a single thing that recommends him which one of the others doesn't also have but better.
:thumbsup:

My family members feel the same too (also Christians).
With Thompson I agree with you, we have the least to compromise.
I dislike Gulliani's liberal social views, but I see nothing that's going to change anyways as far as social - his hawkishness is necessary for the times we live in & He's experienced in it as well.

I personally like Thompson so much tho (I mean as a person), that I actually DREAD if he wins becuz the office is SO hard on anyone - they age so fast; it must take such a toll.
I wish the office on noone, but we do need someone.

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Gulliani's campaign strategy is backfiring big time, he's dropped like a rock in the polls.

Its probably also a combination with the fact that he always just says the same things over and over.
Ya... it's a shame too. I really do like his politics & attitude so much.
He's also got tons of good experience. I wouldn't mind him - Huckabee... sad to say, I want him out and FAST.
I had no idea he was so fiscally liberal till I heard Rush & Fred the past 2 days. I almost croaked when I heard all that.
:swoon:

I can't put trust in people - so my prayer is that God give us a good leader as He sees fit.
:bow: :prayer:

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
:thumbsup:

My family members feel the same too (also Christians).
With Thompson I agree with you, we have the least to compromise.
I dislike Gulliani's liberal social views, but I see nothing that's going to change anyways as far as social - his hawkishness is necessary for the times we live in & He's experienced in it as well.

I personally like Thompson so much tho (I mean as a person), that I actually DREAD if he wins becuz the office is SO hard on anyone - they age so fast; it must take such a toll.
I wish the office on noone, but we do need someone.

Unfortunately for Thompson, he has the look of an old man. He's younger than Ron Paul and McClain, of course, yet far fewer people are making old guy jokes about McCain or saying he's too old. And Fred's not much older than some of the others; he just has that look.

As for Huckabee, what I'd like to know from anyone is this: What does he have, other than a sense of humor, that cannot be found in one or more of the other candidates? And note that when it comes to endorsements--which ought to count for something among us Conservatives--he doesn't have them. Oh yes, he has the endorsement of the founder of the Minutemen, but that man even admits that Huckabee's not on the same page with him, just willing to listen (?).

Human Events magazine endorsed Thompson. National Review endorsed Romney. Bay Buchanan works for Romney. Mary Matalin works for Thompson. Sen. Brownback endorsed McCain. And Huckabee? Oh yeh, Chuck Norris. Rudy Giuliani even got Steve Forbes' nod on account of conservative economic policies.

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Unfortunately for Thompson, he has the look of an old man. He's younger than Ron Paul and McClain, of course, yet far fewer people are making old guy jokes about McCain or saying he's too old. And Fred's not much older than some of the others; he just has that look.
LOL, well I just learned something new... I had no idea Thompson was younger than the other 2!!!
(yep, he DOES look about as old as Moses... poor guy).

His wife is alot younger and I've seen her interviewed a few times, she's got a wonderful presence about her; very mature, very balanced. I was so impressed with her character. (the wife is very important too... I remember John Kerry's wife during his campaign... what a nitemare! I was just appauled at her big yap & lack of control of her emotions).

As for Huckabee, what I'd like to know from anyone is this: What does he have, other than a sense of humor, that cannot be found in one or more of the other candidates? And note that when it comes to endorsements--which ought to count for something among us Conservatives--he doesn't have them. Oh yes, he has the endorsement of the founder of the Minutemen, but that man even admits that Huckabee's not on the same page with him, just willing to listen (?).
Well, he seems to be the one that's most "Christian"... like it actually means something to him & he's not afraid to promote Christ.
(this always backfires in this country tho becuz they lose the swing & independants who lean moderate)...

Errgo, my push for Thompson, Gulliani or McCain - the others are more apt to swing their way if they dislike Hillary or Obama (whichever gets in).

Thanks for the posts, interesting. :wave:

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟34,722.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I actually really like Ron Paul. Of all the candidates, he and Fred Thompson are the only two who stand on their convictions. All the others adjust to fit what they think the public opinion wants to hear.

Ron Paul is probably the best candidate in terms of domestic and economic policy. He is about the only one who is talking about the real situation of our economy. He has a lot of good points on foreign policy as well, but unfortunately he presents an image of isolationism and passivism, which despite his good points is dangerous.

The irony is its the very fact that he is unapologetic about speaking the truth regarding our economy and domestic policy that has gotten him marginalized as the kooky candidate.

Also, while he speaks accurately, he isn't the best communicator. He puts too much confidence in the intelligence and common sense of his audience :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The irony is its the very fact that he is unapologetic about speaking the truth regarding our economy and domestic policy that has gotten him marginalized as the kooky candidate.
No, it's his hardline anti-War On Terror stance. If he was more like Giuliani or McCain on this issue, he would be nigh-unstoppable.

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟34,722.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
No, it's his hardline anti-War On Terror stance. If he was more like Giuliani or McCain on this issue, he would be nigh-unstoppable.
that makes him unpopular with neo-cons and many conservatives, however, its when he talks about the fact that our economy is about to collapse and that our nation is bankrupt, and the north american union etc, that people roll their eyes and dismiss him out of hand.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

I think there's a lot of truth to that analysis.

He wouldn't even have to have been a supporter of the war in the first place, but just not saying what he is about the current situation overseas (need to have no presence at all in the Middle East, Iran was probably right and we the liars in the recent speedboat confrontation, there's no reason to think an Iran with a nuclear bomb would pose any thread to peace, etc.).

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
I voted for Ron Paul in 1988 when he ran on the Libertarian Party ticket. If his foreign policy stance were not so radical, I would support him, since I think he's really the only one telling it like it is on domestic issues. But his extreme foreign policy is a deal breaker; it seems naive and dangerous in today's world.

Upvote 0

rrguy

Jul 12, 2007
✟19,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I thought that about Ron Paul at first. Yet he is the only one bringing up the issues where we are getting in over our head!! He is about choosing your battles vs getting involved realize you had incorrect info & are into never ending expensive battle. If you realize the Middle east is not the USA yet that there are people who would react the same way if they did the same to us!! The more you review our history of giving weapons to are now enemies & creating enemies its hard to argue we got involved where it suited us but left countries like Rwanda have thousands KILLED??? I was proud to serve our country yet what most people don't realize what its like being in Iraq as a member of the Military.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rrguy

Jul 12, 2007
✟19,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It scares me so many candidates have received gifts in the $100,000 & the giver receive some favor of course unrelated? UHH OK SURE?? How can you trust them not to sell out Yelling I am a Christian or not once they become a President?? Ron Paul has not thats why he brings up lost jobs to Importing, The only one raising the point of the lost value in the $ & borrowing money from China?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I did not hear him say that? He replied the situation would be evaluated.

You didn't say so, but I think you are referring to the South Carolina debate of the other night. I was not speaking only to what was said there. The comment about Iran is (as I recall) what he said in an earlier speech or debate.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Huckabee isn't my choice because he isn't conservative enough and he will give illegals benefits like he did in Arkansas. No Thanks!
Huckabee is more conservative than any other Republican currently still in the mix for the nomination. As for the benefits given to illegal immigrants in Arkansas when he was the governor there, well, in your opinion, what would be the Christian thing to do for the children .... children of those illegal immigrants?

Upvote 0