North Island
✟292,769.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A while back I hurt my back/neck and had to give up my job, it was a stressful situation for me and over a few days I sent quite a few emails (5-6) to the Pastor, he didnt reply. there were mix ups with the xray results I was trying to work out, my workplace was giving me a hard time, I had a fractured vertebrae, I was scared. why would he not even say anything. I hadnt bothered him with emails before like that, I was so worried about my neck and stuck on a couch in pain. I did need some care or something.

but I sent an email complimenting a meeting one time that got an immediate thank you email.

why ignore a injured person.

that was a year ago. I havent emailed since.
I sent an email a week ago. again nothing.
I'm thinking of changing churches anyway but why would a Pastor do that?
I know I am insignificant, not wealthy, dont have status etc (I imagine if I were my email would be answered).
it just really hurt last year when I was in need and nothing.

Last edited:

By_the_Book

Life lived by the Bible is life worth living.
Jul 25, 2022
St. Augustine
Visit site
✟30,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
A while back I hurt my back/neck and had to give up my job, it was a stressful situation for me and over a few days I sent quite a few emails (5-6) to the Pastor, he didnt reply. there were mix ups with the xray results I was trying to work out, my workplace was giving me a hard time, I had a fractured vertebrae, I was scared. why would he not even say anything. I hadnt bothered him with emails before like that, I was so worried about my neck and stuck on a couch in pain. I did need some care or something.

but I sent an email complimenting a meeting one time that got an immediate thank you email.

I know I am insignificant, not wealthy, dont have status etc (I imagine if I were my email would be answered).
I've been a minister in full-time ministries since 1994... If it would benefit you then you might try to speak with the pastor in person but only if you feel like it's going to benefit you because there is the possibility it could lead to even more hurt. Nevertheless, should you decide to speak with the pastor if you cannot or do not receive a satisfactory explanation then I would definitely change congregations. If you don't feel you can confront this pastor then it's probably going to be in your best interest anyway to change congregations, because the relationship between your pastor and you has broken down.

A pastor who does not care for and serve ALL of his/her congregation does not deserve to have a congregation. Being a servant to those that God has put in your care is one of the most important things a person will ever do, if they do not do it well there is no glory whatsoever in remaining under the authority of such a person.

• Winner
Reactions: Gentle Lamb
Upvote 0

Sabri

Pentecostal -Apostolic
Nov 20, 2022
Mo
✟32,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Married

How do you know he saw the email? Maybe you should have picked up the phone and called him

Upvote 0

StillGods

Aug 9, 2017
North Island
✟292,769.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
when I've emailled good things I get a reply.
we have a cafe type set up and the staff sit with their laptops working there most days, he saw the emails.

perhaps I should have rung. didnt have the strength....I was quite emotional and probably would have cried and didnt want to. email seemed easier to write down and explain what was happening at the time.

my fault I guess in some ways.
Everyone is only human, pastors included.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

I have no idea why a Pastor would not answer emails. Sometimes i have to send my Elder multiple emails because Yahoo Mail isn't that great at sending out emails. But, my Elder usually always answers his email. If he hasnt answered me within a week i usually ask him if he got my last email, often after church he would take me aside and tell me he read my emails but didn't have time to reply to them yet but will get to them asap.

I mean, he's one of the lead Elders in the PCA in New York state. He is busy constantly. But a Pastors job is to guide you on your Christian journey and has to be in line with the scriptures. If your Pastor isn't like that and doesn't pull you aside after service to apologize not answering your emails than it's time to find another Pastor. Preferably one that teaches the word of God and guides you. Those are the minimum requirements for a Pastor imo.

Reactions: Gentle Lamb
Upvote 0

Gentle Lamb

"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
we have a cafe type set up and the staff sit with their laptops working there most days, he saw the emails.

perhaps I should have rung. didnt have the strength....I was quite emotional and probably would have cried and didnt want to. email seemed easier to write down and explain what was happening at the time.

You are blaming yourself and you should not. In a time of pain and grief, the pastor did not provide you with any sort of support. You reached out multiple times. I would prayerfully look for a more caring pastor. I hope you are doing better now, I'm sorry about your injury. May God continue to work healing in you in Jesus name, amen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sabri

Pentecostal -Apostolic
Nov 20, 2022
Mo
✟32,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Married

Let’s say he saw your email. Do you think you should at least tell him you are leaving and joining another church?

Upvote 0

StillGods

Aug 9, 2017
North Island
✟292,769.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You are blaming yourself and you should not. In a time of pain and grief, the pastor did not provide you with any sort of support. You reached out multiple times. I would prayerfully look for a more caring pastor. I hope you are doing better now, I'm sorry about your injury. May God continue to work healing in you in Jesus name, amen.
thank you, i appreciate that

Upvote 0

StillGods

Aug 9, 2017
North Island
✟292,769.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Let’s say he saw your email. Do you think you should at least tell him you are leaving and joining another church?
maybe, not sure to be honest.
quite a few years back it went badly when out of respect I told an elder I was going to be going to another church. He wanted to contact the church i was going to, to 'pass me over to them' said it was church policy. I asked him not to as i just wanted to go to the new church quietly but he wouldn't listen.
so i'm really not sure if i want to go through that again.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
First, a disclaimer: to not respond to you, even belatedly, was very poor, and you have every right to feel hurt by it. You also have every right to raise it with him, or to move on, as you see fit.

That said; why would a pastor not reply? Maybe it got lost in the ether or the spam filter (it does happen). Maybe it was a week where he was overwhelmed and he wasn't keeping up with admin (that also happens, although he could have replied later). Maybe he looked at six emails coming in, in rapid succession, and felt at a loss as to how to respond helpfully. Maybe he felt you were being inappropriate or pushy. Maybe he's just not good at pastoral care, or not diligent about it.

My point is, there's a range of possible explanations, from the totally understandable to the quite unreasonable, and while those of us in ministry will tell you that sometimes various scenarios do arise where we don't reply to email (I currently have 88 unread emails, let alone the ones I have read but not replied to yet), none of us can know exactly what was going on for your pastor.

I think your issue now is, what, if anything, do you want to do about the situation you're in, where your pastor has broken your trust?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums