Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I would say He deserves it. He's done some pretty amazing stuffs. Look at pictures from NOVA or National Geographic; you'll agree it's quite impressive. Would you agree that it is impressive stuff?
Absolutely, and for the sake of argument I'm willing to give him credit. But why does that mean I should worship him?

Upvote 0

Senator Cheese

Master of Cheese
Feb 4, 2014
✟16,414.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Meh, you may be looking at this the wrong way. I don't think the LORD wants us to worship him "against our will", but that worship is the result of an internal drive of appreciation and gratitude.
When my grandma gave me awesome presents even though it was neither my birthday nor Christmas, I had an internal drive to thank her.

When you realize what God has done for you, you also feel that compelling urge to let him know you love him! :) The LORD has shown us how to use this drive in a way that is pleasing to him in the Pentateuch.

So, yeah, if you don't love God then don't worship him, would be my guess. ;)

Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Absolutely, and for the sake of argument I'm willing to give him credit. But why does that mean I should worship him?

Just for reference, I'll use this definition of worship:

adoring reverence or regard: ie excessive worship of business success.

I think it's reasonable to say that if you were to be amazed by something in nature, and then give the credit to God and attribute that wondrousness to Him, then that in itself would be worship in a sense. It seems natural in a sense; it's the right thing to do: give credit where it is due.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That's like asking why you should love your girlfriend/wife. When it's been revealed in your heart how much God has done for you, and how much He loves you, you can't help but worship. And you will see that He doesn't need your worship, you need to worship Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
That's like asking why you should love your girlfriend/wife. When it's been revealed in your heart how much God has done for you, and how much He loves you, you can't help but worship.
Surely not! Whatever happened to free will?

And you will see that He doesn't need your worship, you need to worship Him.
Why do I need to worship him? What happens if I don't?

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
If God has not done anything for you than you should not have any gratitude to worship him with.

You do not have to do anything you really do not want to do.

Meh, you may be looking at this the wrong way. I don't think the LORD wants us to worship him "against our will", but that worship is the result of an internal drive of appreciation and gratitude.
When my grandma gave me awesome presents even though it was neither my birthday nor Christmas, I had an internal drive to thank her.

When you realize what God has done for you, you also feel that compelling urge to let him know you love him! :) The LORD has shown us how to use this drive in a way that is pleasing to him in the Pentateuch.

So, yeah, if you don't love God then don't worship him, would be my guess. ;)

I'm with Bling. I think you are being foolish, and wasting your time to do anything if you feel no desire to worship God. It's simple. Just don't.
I realise that worship isn't mandatory, perhaps my question was poorly phrased. Worship seems to be different to simply being grateful for something. I am thankful when a friend does me a favour, but that doesn't mean I'm worshipping her. I am awed by the images NASA produces via the Hubble telescope, but that awe doesn't count as worship.

So I guess my question resolves into two: what constitutes worship, and why is God worthy of it?

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,432.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I realise that worship isn't mandatory, perhaps my question was poorly phrased. Worship seems to be different to simply being grateful for something. I am thankful when a friend does me a favour, but that doesn't mean I'm worshipping her. I am awed by the images NASA produces via the Hubble telescope, but that awe doesn't count as worship.

So I guess my question resolves into two: what constitutes worship, and why is God worthy of it?
The Bible does not give the exact “definition” of worship just lots of examples and definitions for lots of wrong worship.

My understanding of worship would be: the offering up of obedience to a command of God (which can be extremely broad and include everything a Christian is doing that is right).

We are “obedient” to God’s commands because that is what is best for us and what we want to be doing. It does not help the nonbeliever to be obedient to God’s commands since he cannot be without Godly type Love and Godly type Love is a free gift that the believer accepts from God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
Simple question - why should I worship God?

Because God alone is worthy of your worship. You are created as a worshiping creature and as such you will worship...and you will worship that which you value the most. That Christians worship God means that we recognize God for who He is...our worship is our acknowledging His worth to us by valuing Him above all else.

What do you value the most? What has the most worth to you? Whatever that is, that is what you worship...whether you call it worship or recognize it as worship or not.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The Bible does not give the exact “definition” of worship just lots of examples and definitions for lots of wrong worship.

My understanding of worship would be: the offering up of obedience to a command of God (which can be extremely broad and include everything a Christian is doing that is right).
So, would going to a church, singing hymns, speaking in tongues, handling snakes, etc, not be considered worship?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship