Why worry about the Ten Commandments, if you are disregarding the Sabbath? (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrightCandle

Sep 2, 2003
Washington, USA.
✟4,860.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Oblio said:
Absurd, foolishness and offensive. Those who thought so left Jesus.

Christians don't do that, you are talking about being a slave to the Law that condemns.

Jesus said that we are be His slaves or servants, so that is not such a bad job. If you don't do the things that I mentioned in my previous post, then you are not keeping the Sabbath holy. The Sabbath is sacred holy time sanctified by the God of Heaven, that is why it is to be devoted to sacred things.

Upvote 0

jochanaan

Aug 24, 2005
✟16,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Oblio said:
Interesting opinion.
Interesting, perhaps, but solidly based on Scripture. "If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it." (Isaiah 58:13-14)

And before you say that this was part of the Old Covenant, remember that Isaiah, more clearly than any other prophet except perhaps David, foresaw Jesus Christ and his New Covenant in marvelous detail only a few chapters before this passage (Isaiah 53, the famous "suffering servant" passage).

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting, perhaps, but solidly based on Scripture.

No, it is based 'solidly' on your understanding and tradition of part of Scripture.

St. Irenaeus said:
Chapter VIII.-How the Valentinians Pervert the Scriptures to Support Their Own Pious Opinions.

1. Such, then, is their system, which neither the prophets announced, nor the Lord taught, nor the apostles delivered, but of which they boast that beyond all others they have a perfect knowledge. They gather their views from other sources than the Scriptures;96 and, to use a common proverb, they strive to weave ropes of sand, while they endeavour to adapt with an air of probability to their own peculiar assertions the parables of the Lord, the sayings of the prophets, and the words of the apostles, in order that their scheme may not seem altogether without support. In doing so, however, they disregard the order and the connection of the Scriptures, and so far as in them lies, dismember and destroy the truth. By transferring passages, and dressing them up anew, and making one thing out of another, they succeed in deluding many through their wicked art in adapting the oracles of the Lord to their opinions. Their manner of acting is just as if one, when a beautiful image of a king has been constructed by some skilful artist out of precious jewels, should then take this likeness of the man all to pieces, should rearrange the gems, and so fit them together as to make them into the form of a dog or of a fox, and even that but poorly executed; and should then maintain and declare that this was the beautiful image of the king which the skilful artist constructed, pointing to the jewels which had been admirably fitted together by the first artist to form the image of the king, but have been with bad effect transferred by the latter one to the shape of a dog, and by thus exhibiting the jewels, should deceive the ignorant who had no conception what a king's form was like, and persuade them that that miserable likeness of the fox was, in fact, the beautiful image of the king. In like manner do these persons patch together old wives' fables, and then endeavour, by violently drawing away from their proper connection, words, expressions, and parables whenever found, to adapt the oracles of God to their baseless fictions. We have already stated how far they proceed in this way with respect to the interior of the Pleroma.

Upvote 0

linssue55

Senior Veteran
Jul 31, 2005
Tucson Az
✟11,739.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
BrightCandle said:
This thread was split automatically after 1000 replies and this thread has been automatically created.
The old thread automatically closed is here: "Why worry about the Ten Commandments, if you are disregarding the Sabbath?"

Grace has replaced the Law........(The Law was ONLY for the Jews of the O.T.)

Galations 3:
1~~ O stupid/asinine Galatians!
Who has hypnotized you?
Before whose eyes {the mind's eye of the Galatians}
Jesus Christ has been publicly displayed crucified among you!
(Then starting at 3:10 Paul explains that if you want to
stay "under the law" you continue to be cursed by the law. And,
that seems to be the status of your friends)
10~~ For as many as are
under the works of the law
are under the curse {of the Mosaic Law}.
For it is written {Deuteronomy 27:26},
"Cursed be all ones
that fail to keep on abiding in ALL things,
which are written in the book of the law to do them".
{Note: Break one Mosaic Law and you are guilty of breaking them all - Deuteronomy 27:26 - which is part of the Mosaic Law. To be saved by WORKS you must be PERFECT! And, only Christ fulfilled the Mosaic Law. "I do not come to break the law, but to fulfill it."}
11~~ But that no one receives justification
in the sphere of the law in the sight of God . . . evident.
For, the justified ones shall live out of the source of faith/doctrine.
12~~ And the law is not of faith/doctrine {Leviticus 18:5},
"But, the man that having done them,
shall live, in the future, in them." (In Grace)
13~~ Christ has once and for all
redeemed us out from the curse of the law,

(for it is written {Deuteronomy 21:22-23},
"Under a curse is every one
who keeps on hanging on The Wood")
having become a curse for us.
That passage is pretty clear that Christ has taken us "out from" being under the curse of the Law.
Mostly in Hebrews it talks about the higher law - such as living
not just the Sabbath as to God, but everyday as unto the Lord.

The Sabbath is set aside in the Church Age,
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Times New I2]Col. 2:16-17~~ (Exegesis)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Times New I2]16.~~Consequently, [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Times New I2]STOP allowing anyone to judge you in eating and drinking,[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Times New I2]or in the matter of a feast, or of the new month, or of the Sabbaths.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Times New I2]{Note: This is refering to 'legalism'. Someone trying to tell you that you have to follow rituals of the Jewish Age.}[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Times New I2]17~~ Which {rituals} kept on being a shadow[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Times New I2]of those things about to come,[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Times New I2]but the reality is from the source of Christ.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Times New I2]{Note: the Jewish Age rituals were 'shadows' of the reality that was and is Christ. The Jewish Age looked forward to the cross. The Church age looks back on the cross}.[/FONT]

EVERYDAY should be the Sabbath,,,,,,,The Lord gives us one day at a time..............SO EVERYDAY we give back in the form of worship.

"EVERYDAY is SUNDAY".

Upvote 0

BrightCandle

Sep 2, 2003
Washington, USA.
✟4,860.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Oblio said:
Interesting opinion.

It is God's opinion. Note, Exodus 20:8 below, where it says that you have 6 days to do your work and secular pursuits, but not on the 7th. How much more clearer can Jesus say it?

8"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, 10but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates. 11For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Upvote 0

BrightCandle

Sep 2, 2003
Washington, USA.
✟4,860.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
linssue55 said:
EVERYDAY should be the Sabbath,,,,,,,The Lord gives us one day at a time..............SO EVERYDAY we give back in the form of worship. [/COLOR]

"EVERYDAY is SUNDAY".
[/B]

The 4th Commamdment also says to work 6 days, if every day were kept as a Sabbath, no work would get done. Common sense would tell you that that could not be true.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
catlover said:
BUT how does one keep the Sabbath? Does that mean no computer, no T.V, no cooking, no cleaning? Or does it mean church attendance?

I would have to say that it isn't merely a cessation of work, but an honoring of God with the totality of your being without the hindrance of worldly distractions/cares.

This is my opinion: Whatever you can do to the glory of God is appropriate to do on the Sabbath.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jochanaan

Aug 24, 2005
✟16,360.00
Faith
Baptist
catlover said:
BUT how does one keep the Sabbath? Does that mean no computer, no T.V, no cooking, no cleaning? Or does it mean church attendance?
Its essence is to set aside most activities that hinder our focusing on God, and to rest our bodies and minds. The particulars may vary--I have been accused of legalism just for keeping the Sabbath but I have no wish to set up strict laws:)--yet there should always be a sense of minimizing "secular" work-related activities and resting in God's presence.

I like to keep housecleaning and cooking activities to a minimum--preparing food ahead of time that can be quickly reheated, making sure the house is relatively clean, etc. I do go to church either on Saturday morning or on Friday evening. And I try to avoid all situations that have to do with business or commerce. At most, if I'm with friends and we get hungry, we will go out to a restaurant; but even this I try to keep to a minimum. I have been known to hike, or to throw a Frisbee at a park; these certainly aren't work-related! :D

Upvote 0

jochanaan

Aug 24, 2005
✟16,360.00
Faith
Baptist
linssue55 said:
Grace has replaced the Law........
So are there any limits at all on our actions as Christians? You may have seen my question regarding homosexual and polyamorous partnerships; is it also all right to murder, to dishonor our parents, to use God's name in a curse, or to embezzle from our employers? What would you set up in place of the Law?

Upvote 0

rstrats

Jun 27, 2002
✟70,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
linssue55,

re: "STOP allowing anyone to judge you in eating and drinking,
or in the matter of a feast, or of the new month, or of the Sabbaths.
{Note: This is referring to 'legalism'. Someone trying to tell you that you have to follow rituals of the Jewish Age.}"

Any thoughts on Zechariah 14:16-19 which takes place after the Messiah takes His place as King of earth? "16 And it shall come to pass that everyone who is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall go up from year to year to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, and to keep the Feast of Tabernacles. 17 And it shall be that whichever of the families of the earth do not come up to Jerusalem to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, on them there will be no rain. 18 If the family of Egypt will not come up and enter in, they shall have no rain; they shall receive the plague with which the Lord shakes the nations who do not come up to keep the Feast of Tabernacles. 19 This shall be the punishment of Egypt and the punishment of all the nations that do not come up th keep the Feast Tabernacles."

Upvote 0

BrightCandle

Sep 2, 2003
Washington, USA.
✟4,860.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
catlover said:

SDAs do not have big fat book of specific codes and rules like the Jews had during the time of Christ. We are guided by biblical principles in the keeping of the Sabbath. The whole emphasis is different on the Sabbath, since it is holy sacred time set aside by the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit for human beings to stop for 24 hours and focus on their relationship with God, their relationships with family members, whether at church or in a home setting. And to worship with a larger group corporately with one's local church family; and to reach out to those in need of encouragement, prayer, like the widows, the sick, orphans, single people, families that are falling apart, etc, etc. Also, I forgot to add that the Sabbath is a wonderful time to get out in a natural setting and take a hike in the mountains, or a walk in a beautiful park, to lift the mind up away from this world of sin, and get glimpses of the new earth, which is soon to come!

If one is busy working at secular pursuits, or working on their house, or watching sports on TV, etc, etc., how could a person possibly do the things that God desires to be done on the Sabbath?

Upvote 0

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
catlover said:

We as a general rule will try and follow the example that Christ set.

He is the ultimate one to follow.

We realize we live in a world where many people weant to have some guide lines to follow.

One that is often used is that if it can be done on another day of the week then that is what we would normally do.

You mentioned TV, I do not watch it even if there is a good program on as often there will be adds for things that are not Christian.

Although I do watch 3ABN which I know is a genuine Christian channel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BrightCandle

Sep 2, 2003
Washington, USA.
✟4,860.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Cliff2 said:
We as a general rule will try and follow the example that Christ set.

He is the ultimate one to follow.

We realize we live in a world where many people weant to have some guide lines to follow.

One that is often used is that if it can be done on another day of the week then that is what we would normally do.

You mentioned TV, I do not watch it even if there is a good program on as often there will be adds for things that are not Christian.

Although I do watch 3ABN which I know is a genuine Christian channel.

Where I live in Washington state, USA, we have 3ABN and the Hope Channel for free, with no secular ads, so it is not an issue when it comes to watching the TV on Sabbath. What is an issue is if one decided to watch secular intertainment, sports, prime time movies, etc, etc.

Upvote 0

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
BrightCandle said:
Where I live in Washington state, USA, we have 3ABN and the Hope Channel for free, with no secular ads, so it is not an issue when it comes to watching the TV on Sabbath. What is an issue is if one decided to watch secular intertainment, sports, prime time movies, etc, etc.

That is the only TV we watch as well.

I agree with you on the secular material.

For me it (secular material) would not bring me closer to Christ.

Upvote 0

YahwehisHisname

Mar 5, 2006
✟16,284.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I haven't been keeping up in this thread but Brightcandle and cliff are handling this wonderfully. You are great servants. I would like to add that while speaking of observing the Sabbath, He never tells us to be unproductive, and it doesn't mention going to church or synagogue at all. Set apart that day and dedicate it to Him. That's it. Concur?

Upvote 0

ThreeAM

Dec 21, 2005
✟9,667.00
Faith
SDA
YahwehisHisname said:
I haven't been keeping up in this thread but Brightcandle and cliff are handling this wonderfully. You are great servants. I would like to add that while speaking of observing the Sabbath, He never tells us to be unproductive, and it doesn't mention going to church or synagogue at all. Set apart that day and dedicate it to Him. That's it. Concur?

Luk 4:16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

Mar 6:2 And when the sabbath day was come, he [Jesus] began to teach in the synagogue: and many hearing [him] were astonished, saying, From whence hath this [man] these things? and what wisdom [is] this which is given unto him, that even such mighty works are wrought by his hands?

Luk 6:6 And it came to pass also on another sabbath, that he [Jesus] entered into the synagogue and taught: and there was a man whose right hand was withered.

Luk 13:10 And he [Jesus] was teaching in one of the synagogues on the sabbath.

1Pe 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:

Act 18:4 And he [Paul] reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.

Act 17:2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,

Apparently the early Christians were going to the synagogues because that is where Saul went to persecute them.

Act 22:19 And I said, Lord, they know that I imprisoned and beat in every synagogue them that believed on thee:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.