Why were people offended when Christ came?

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
That is the nature of what historians deal with. Especially when you are talking about history from thousands of years ago.

Unless you have absolute evidence; video tape etc., of an event, they can never say with 100% certainty what happened, so they deal in what likely happened.

You think videos can't be forged?

And even what one sees with their own eyes may be different from what happened.

Heck, let's assume the crucifixion occurred. That one of us actually traveled back in time and saw it and saw 'the same' person walking ant talking 3 days later.

How could we be sure that the Christian explanation is correct and not the Muslim one? Or even a different deception.

Upvote 0

AlexBP

Apr 20, 2010
Virginia
✟10,340.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Care to share again?
You're surely familiar with the "St. John fragment", the earliest portion of a gospel manuscript, which date to the early years of the second century A.D. If you read the book Lord or Legend, you'll learn a lot more about the archaeological evidence from early Christian communities. For instance, pottery with Christian symbols has been found in Palestine dating from the mid first century. Hence your claim that there's no archaeological evidence for the existence of Christianity until the third century is false.

Of course, in addition to the archaeological evidence that's been dug up for the existence of Christianity during the first and second centuries, there's ample documentary evidence. The entire New Testament dates from the first century (possibly except 2 Peter) as do probably the Didache, 1 Clement, and a few other documents. Christian books and letters written in the second century could fill many large volumes.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You think videos can't be forged?

And even what one sees with their own eyes may be different from what happened.

Heck, let's assume the crucifixion occurred. That one of us actually traveled back in time and saw it and saw 'the same' person walking ant talking 3 days later.

How could we be sure that the Christian explanation is correct and not the Muslim one? Or even a different deception.

I agree. Anything can be forged. The entire bible could be simply an agenda the powers at be had to control people and it is mostly fiction (which is close to my opinion by the way).

Any piece of evidence would have to be vetted to be sure it was authentic and historians have methods they follow to do this.

Look at the hollocaust. Some people still deny that it happened. We have eye witnesses, film etc.. Could the film have been forged? I guess so, but highly unlikely with the efforts and conspiracy that would be involved in doing so, so historians toss out that possibility.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
HitchSlap said:
Sounds good. Are you able to distinguish expert opinion from physical evidence?
Creationist:
Deny the consensus of the expert community.
Post quotes from fringe popular writers and quote mines.
Demand kinds of evidence that would not be expected to exist.
Don't have the background to properly assess the evidence that is presented and therefore reject it.

Upvote 0

mandelduke

Oct 17, 2010
Choctaw Ms
✟8,881.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Exactly!

What amazing insight....and I thank you for replying to the topic!

Why is it do you think that it was mainly the "religious folk" that were offended?

Their philosophy or outlook on life, how did it lend to their being offended?
Now just like in Jesus’s day there is a lot of power in teaching the word of God, and in some cases a lot of money. So they don’t want anybody rocking the boat. Religion has done its best to kill salvation 1 Samuel is a good example. And nothing has changed!
1 Samuel 2:12-36
Eli’s sons were scoundrels; they had no regard for the Lord. 13 Now it was the practice of the priests that, whenever any of the people offered a sacrifice, the priest’s servant would come with a three-pronged fork in his hand while the meat was being boiled 14 and would plunge the fork into the pan or kettle or caldron or pot. Whatever the fork brought up the priest would take for himself. This is how they treated all the Israelites who came to Shiloh. 15 But even before the fat was burned, the priest’s servant would come and say to the person who was sacrificing, “Give the priest some meat to roast; he won’t accept boiled meat from you, but only raw.”
16 If the pers
17 This sin of the young men was very great in the Lord’s sight, for they were treating the Lord’s offering with contempt.
18 But Samuel was ministering before the Lord—a boy wearing a linen ephod. 19 Each year his mother made him a little robe and took it to him when she went up with her husband to offer the annual sacrifice. 20 Eli would bless Elkanah and his wife, saying, “May the Lord give you children by this woman to take the place of the one she prayed for and gave to[c] the Lord.” Then they would go home. 21 And the Lord was gracious to Hannah; she gave birth to three sons and two daughters. Meanwhile, the boy Samuel grew up in the presence of the Lord.
22 Now Eli, who was very old, heard about everything his sons were doing to all Israel and how they slept with the women who served at the entrance to the tent of meeting. 23 So he said to them, “Why do you do such things? I hear from all the people about these wicked deeds of yours. 24 No, my sons; the report I hear spreading among the Lord’s people is not good. 25 If one person sins against another, God[d] may mediate for the offender; but if anyone sins against the Lord, who will intercede for them?” His sons, however, did not listen to their father’s rebuke, for it was the Lord’s will to put them to death.
26 And the boy Samuel continued to grow in stature and in favor with the Lord and with people.
Prophecy Against the House of Eli
27 Now a man of God came to Eli and said to him, “This is what the Lord says: ‘Did I not clearly reveal myself to your ancestor’s family when they were in Egypt under Pharaoh? 28 I chose your ancestor out of all the tribes of Israel to be my priest, to go up to my altar, to burn incense, and to wear an ephod in my presence. I also gave your ancestor’s family all the food offerings presented by the Israelites. 29 Why do you[e] scorn my sacrifice and offering that I prescribed for my dwelling? Why do you honor your sons more than me by fattening yourselves on the choice parts of every offering made by my people Israel?’
30 “Therefore the Lord, the God of Israel, declares: ‘I promised that members of your family would minister before me forever.’ But now the Lord declares: ‘Far be it from me! Those who honor me I will honor, but those who despise me will be disdained. 31 The time is coming when I will cut short your strength and the strength of your priestly house, so that no one in it will reach old age, 32 and you will see distress in my dwelling. Although good will be done to Israel, no one in your family line will ever reach old age. 33 Every one of you that I do not cut off from serving at my altar I will spare only to destroy your sight and sap your strength, and all your descendants will die in the prime of life.
34 “‘And what happens to your two sons, Hophni and Phinehas, will be a sign to you—they will both die on the same day. 35 I will raise up for myself a faithful priest, who will do according to what is in my heart and mind. I will firmly establish his priestly house, and they will minister before my anointed one always. 36 Then everyone left in your family line will come and bow down before him for a piece of silver and a loaf of bread and plead, “Appoint me to some priestly office so I can have food to eat.”

Upvote 0