Undereducated
Under motivated
Unwilling to plan
Unwilling to sacrifice
Unwilling to work hard
Unwilling to obey the law
Unwilling to care for their health
Unwilling to abstain from drugs and alcohol
Unwilling to remain unmarried until they can afford it.
Unwilling to present themselves to an employer properly.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
  • Winner
Reactions: Rebecca12
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,241,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yea, and I'm sure the judgmental attitude and stereo-types from *some* people don't help all that much either. If I were a betting man I would bet that OldWiseGuy is white and does not have many, if any, black friends.

Click this Link: A black church went in search of a white church to talk about race

It might help.
I wouldn't assume that the people on the OP's list are of any particular ethnicity. Heck, I could see where a couple of the items might apply to me if I'm not careful -- I'm a very type-B person.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Too many are,

Undereducated
Under motivated
Unwilling to plan
Unwilling to sacrifice
Unwilling to work hard
Unwilling to obey the law
Unwilling to care for their health
Unwilling to abstain from drugs and alcohol
Unwilling to remain unmarried until they can afford it.
Unwilling to present themselves to an employer properly.

In this kind of topic about why some people 'get ahead'....we could get distracted from a greater truth. This one --

What is the real "getting ahead"....really?.... Not necessarily what we are taught as normal Americans to think it is....

He said --

19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

22 “The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy, your whole body will be full of light....."

His way is better than our way.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,241,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
In this kind of topic about why some people 'get ahead'....we could get distracted from a greater truth. This one --

What is the real "getting ahead"....really?.... Not necessarily what we are taught as normal Americans to think it is....

He said --

19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

22 “The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy, your whole body will be full of light....."

Good point. What's the saying... "Some people are so poor all they have is money."

Upvote 0

majj27

Mr. Owl has had quite enough
Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
"For ye have the poor with you always, and whensoever ye will ye may do them good..." Mark 14:7

I think a lot of people don't want to accept that "The poor will always be with you" is not supposed to be a goal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think a lot of people don't want to accept that "The poor will always be with you" is not supposed to be a goal.
Not a goal but it is a fact. But as your somewhat snarky comment infers, we shouldn't settle. Are we all familiar with this verse?

James 1:27 Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.

In addition to remaining pure before the Lord, taking care of those who can't help themselves is part of our religion. But the word for religion there, thrēskeia, is really the idea of "worship." Our worship should include taking care of those who can't take care of themselves.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

He said --

That not the topic here.

• Winner
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,944.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
To be rich in this world is more of a bad thing because our world is evil. -- 1 John 5:19, John 15:19

And:

Luke 6:20-26

Looking at his disciples, he said:

“Blessed are you who are poor,
for yours is the kingdom of God.
Blessed are you who hunger now,
for you will be satisfied.
Blessed are you who weep now,
for you will laugh.
Blessed are you when people hate you,
when they exclude you and insult you
and reject your name as evil,
because of the Son of Man.

23 “Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven. For that is how their ancestors treated the prophets.

“But woe to you who are rich,
for you have already received your comfort.
Woe to you who are well fed now,
for you will go hungry.
Woe to you who laugh now,
for you will mourn and weep.
Woe to you when everyone speaks well of you,
for that is how their ancestors treated the false prophets.

• Informative
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oh, is it time for another "Poor people are lazy subhuman bums and it's all their own fault" thread again? I really need to check my calendar more often.

These descriptions fit many middle class people that aren't poor as well. If one has a good paying job all they want to do is work their daily 8 to 5 and go home, with all their needs met. However many people don't have this as few companies can provide the American Dream for their employees.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oh, is it time for another "Poor people are lazy subhuman bums and it's all their own fault" thread again? I really need to check my calendar more often.

I'll push this until people see it my way. :D

• Winner
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Agreed, the topic is how the poor are lazy bums and bring their suffering on themselves, the lousy wastrels.

Regardless, they all have the opportunity to succeed. They just have to use their heads.

• Winner
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,944.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Agreed, the topic is how the poor are lazy bums and bring their suffering on themselves, the lousy wastrels.

Unfortunately, it's a short-sighted view of the situation. You can't see the whole picture unless you lived in exactly the same circumstances as they did with the same physical or mental handicap they may have.

We ought to be careful when judging other people:

Matthew 7:2
For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Upvote 0