Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
At the university of Texas they have a "Farm" of over 30 acres, where the students recover bodies left in the open at various stages of decomposition to study. Bones decompose in as little as 5 years....all depending on air and moisture.

I've seen animals turn to dust much quicker on the street. My dogs even find the dust to be very interesting.
I see. You are saying that in some cases, man can become only dust in a matter of five years. So in five years, there is no bone matter at all, only fine dust?

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What do you mean by "early record"?
OB
I mean, in science terms, the time before the KT layer. In Bible terms, I mean the pre-flood era and shortly after. The two can't correlate because science uses a belief based system to determine 'dates'.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Well, I place the time of the flood somewhere around the KT layer. We see no men there.

The K-T boundary marks the transition between the Cretaceous (K) and Tertiary (T) periods. It dates back to around 66 million years ago. It's also known as the end of the dinosaurs thanks primarily to a major asteroid strike off the coast near the Yucatan Peninsula. The earliest known fossils of (pre) human ancestry are around 6-7 million years old.

So, in a sense, you're right Dad. There were no men around at the time of the K-T event and, given the asteroid strike, there was a lot of water, in the form of tsunami, sloshing around. You just got the dates wrong.

OB

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I see. You are saying that in some cases, man can become only dust in a matter of five years. So in five years, there is no bone matter at all, only fine dust?

Conditions vary greatly. Exposed bones crumble in 10-20 years.
But I've seen a squirrel in front of my house, in the street
that had no bones and was virtually sand when I swept him up.
It had to be 2 months at most.

Human bones with moisture and oxygen can be gone in 5 - 12 years with light soil covering.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
God told Adam that he would return to dust. Modern man does not do that, his remains decay slowly. From a bible perspective, we could assume that pre-flood man would have left no remains other than dust. We can also deduce that man would not have been in the fossil record although he was living on earth.

Fossils are not the physical remains of old life forms - In all cases the original life form is gone "returned to dust" as you say in your post about pre-flood life forms. That is also true post-flood.

common fossils -- cast fossils - form when minerals deposit into the mold left by the rotting organic material that is in fact returning to dust. And does return to dust. It is the mineral deposits that are left in the "form" of what had been there before.

• Agree
Reactions: A Realist
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
  • Informative
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The K-T boundary marks the transition between the Cretaceous (K) and Tertiary (T) periods. It dates back to around 66 million years ago.
The K-T boundary marks the transition between the Cretaceous (K) and Tertiary (T) periods. It dates back to around 4500 years ago. That was easy.

It's also known as the end of the dinosaurs thanks primarily to a major asteroid strike off the coast near the Yucatan Peninsula. The earliest known fossils of (pre) human ancestry are around 6-7 million years old.
Since dinosaurs were probably adapted created kinds, they would not have been original kinds and invited onto the ark. Therefore...extinction. Try to remember that when tossing out so-called dates you need to support them.

So, in a sense, you're right Dad. There were no men around at the time of the K-T event
Except I said there were. Don't misrepresent other posters.

and, given the asteroid strike,
Not determined. It could have been a strike from below going up for all we know. A remnant of a fount of the deep. Shocked quartz may tell us there was an impact, now try to prove the direction.
there was a lot of water, in the form of tsunami, sloshing around.
In your head, yes.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Conditions vary greatly. Exposed bones crumble in 10-20 years.
But I've seen a squirrel in front of my house, in the street
that had no bones and was virtually sand when I swept him up.
It had to be 2 months at most.

Human bones with moisture and oxygen can be gone in 5 - 12 years with light soil covering.

Yet old remains are found all the time. Normally it takes time to decay away.

example

1,200-year-old bones found in Aachen Cathedral in Germany believed to belong to Charlemagne, King of the Franks

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Fossils are not the physical remains of old life forms - In all cases the original life form is gone "returned to dust" as you say in your post about pre-flood life forms. That is also true post-flood.
Right, but unless remains exist and last long enough for the processes to happen there can not be a fossil.
common fossils -- cast fossils - form when minerals deposit into the mold left by the rotting organic material that is in fact returning to dust. And does return to dust. It is the mineral deposits that are left in the "form" of what had been there before.
I know. But if Adam turned to dust real fast, he would not have left bones for us to find, or any fossilized remains either.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Right, but unless remains exist and last long enough for the processes to happen there can not be a fossil.
I know. But if Adam turned to dust real fast, he would not have left bones for us to find, or any fossilized remains either.

Adam lived for 930 years after that event .. longer age... possibly larger bones.

Common reasons for not finding Adam's bones.
1. We are not even remotely close to having found all the fossils and bones buried in the Earth.
2. Adam did not live in dry desert conditions so those bones would not last 1000 years in the dirt before they had long since become dust.
3. At the flood there was massive upheaval and turning over of the Earth's surface as can be noted by the oil fields deep under ground and under the ocean... pretty hard to excavate every bit of that.

So long before you get to a supposedly instant form of bone decay at the time of Adam.. comes 3 factors that are very daunting that would need to be overcome before you might expect to find his bones.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Adam lived for 930 years after that event .. longer age... possibly larger bones.

Common reasons for not finding Adam's bones.
1. We are not even remotely close to having found all the fossils and bones buried in the Earth
Problem: There are NO bones for most animals and man from the beginning. If you claim they should exist that is a problem and you need to support such a claim.

2. Adam did not live in dry desert conditions so those bones would not last 1000 years in the dirt before they had long since become dust.
I am not sure where Adam migrated to or what the conditions were like. Nor do we know nature was the same, so conditions matter little. If the natural course of events in that time was for most animals and mankind to quickly turn to dust, then that would have been the order of the day. The natural course of events at the time.

3. At the flood there was massive upheaval and turning over of the Earth's surface as can be noted by the oil fields deep under ground and under the ocean... pretty hard to excavate every bit of that.
Irrelevant. If most animals and man could leave remains we would see those remains in the early fossil record...example in the Cambrian.

So long before you get to a supposedly instant form of bone decay at the time of Adam.. comes 3 factors that are very daunting that would need to be overcome before you might expect to find his bones.
No. Those factors would not result in NO fossils or bones ever found in the early record.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.