Why so much conservative hostility towards undocumented immigrants?

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I think much can be explain by quote from John Stuart Mill:

I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative.

I hate to tell Mr. Mill, but that is spoken like an ignorant person
who can't understand anything outside his own experience.

Upvote 0

GeorgiaGuyinAtlanta

Mar 13, 2006
Atlanta, Georgia Metropolitan Area, U.S.A.
✟15,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For the record, not every conservative is hostile towards undocumented immigrants. When John McCain ran for president in 2008, he advocated a pathway to citizenship for these people. Lindsay Graham, Jeb Bush, and other compassionate conservatives likewise support an amnesty. In fact, I’m a conservative who also feels sympathy towards the undocumented community and wants to see the government help make the good law-abiding ones become citizens.

However, Donald Trump basically became president by scapegoating people in this country illegally. When he said he would build a wall along the US-Mexico border, his support went through the roof and secured his nomination. The fact that he accumulated so much support from Republican-voters testifies to the hostility that so many conservatives feel towards undocumented immigrants. To me, this is a very sad thing.

The Bible says this in Leviticus 19:34: “The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt.” Obviously those foreigners residing in ancient Israel didn’t have visas or passports. They were undocumented immigrants for all practical purposes. And God is telling his chosen people to treat them as native-born residents. This means God wants us to treat undocumented immigrants in the US with compassion.

Of course I’m aware of drug traffickers, sex traffickers, and violent criminals who come here illegally. By all means deport them. But what about the ones who study hard, abide by all the laws and don’t commit crime, and live like normal people? They’ve been here much of their lives and should be given a pathway to citizenship.

As a Republican and compassionate conservative, I don’t think I’ll ever understand what motivates so many other conservatives to feel so much hostility towards people just because they’re different. Yes, they came into this country illegally, but hasn’t everyone done something illegal in their life at one time? Give them a chance.

Our GOP is besmirched with xenophobia and needs to clean up.

I don't think you understand CONTEXT. That was written to the Israelites, not the United States of America. Ancient Israel had no immigration laws. Furthermore, the Bible is clear that you are to follow the laws of a government (as long as it doesn't conflict with God's moral law), as he established them. This is why you are to respect people in positions of authority.

Saying it is okay to allow illegal aliens is basically saying that it is okay for people to BREAK THE LAW, something God tells us not to do.

Illegal aliens STEAL from Americans. Their presence generally denotes them taking a job from an American citizen, but also stealing identities with fraudulent documentation. They are taking something that is not entitled to them. They are doing this as they are disobeying God's commands to respect authority. In essence, it very likely could be a sin. It's a deliberate disregard for what God says. If it is indeed a sin, and since sin separates people from God, how in the world can an illegal repent if they are continuing to break American law by remaining here? It is also leads one to question whether they are putting their eternity at stake.

Look at who supports unlimited illegal immigration. It is the ungodly, dare I say satanic, New World Order ungodly left, but also some who are "neocons" (really liberals) who promote this travesty. If you'll recall, the New World Order will usher in the anti-Christ. The New World Order system is supposed to coincide with the beast system. If this is the case, then this is satanic. Satan opposes everything that God has proposed. Satanism runs in the exact OPPOSITE of what God would want. Hence, the propensity of such people to promote abortion, homosexuality, etc. This could extend to doing things that God has said not to do; not respecting governmental authority.

Upvote 0

GeorgiaGuyinAtlanta

Mar 13, 2006
✟15,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Poor guy, you really don't seem to match up with the Bible. God separated people groups by language and SET their boundaries.

If we look at language groups, they are ALL related to race. Therefore, it can be surmised that God wanted the races separate.

Acts 17:26
And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation

Upvote 0

compassion 4 humanity

Oct 24, 2017
Texas
✟49,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Poor guy, you really don't seem to match up with the Bible. God separated people groups by language and SET their boundaries.

If we look at language groups, they are ALL related to race. Therefore, it can be surmised that God wanted the races separate.

And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation

Cool fact: Moses' wife was an Ethiopian. Look it up.

Upvote 0

GeorgiaGuyinAtlanta

Mar 13, 2006
✟15,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cool fact: Moses' wife was an Ethiopian. Look it up.

If I'm not mistaken, Ethiopia DID NOT EXIST at the time, and it is stated that she was from CUSH, which is commonly thought to be in the region currently known as Ethiopia.

That said, I'm not talking about two people, but rather populations as a whole. You can't claim that God is for illegal immigration because he isn't. The Bible, when viewed correctly, will tell you that.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And you know this, because?

Anything Biblical to support that God wants nations mixed according to race?

Anything to say that He doesn't? After all, "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

Upvote 0

GeorgiaGuyinAtlanta

Mar 13, 2006
✟15,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anything to say that He doesn't? After all, "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

You're right that EVERYONE can accept Christ. That said, that does not invalidate God's separation of peoples.

I gave you the verse, and I indicated that based on the knowledge we do have, you can ascertain that God intended for the races to be separate.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That said, that does not invalidate God's separation of peoples.

The idea of "God's separation of peoples" is not Biblical. As to your ideas about languages, I'm curious as to (1) which of the groups in the chart below should be "separate" according to you, (2) whether the "Eurasiatic" or "Nostratic" theories should be used for grouping, and (3) why you are living on land clearly (according to your own theories) allocated by God to Native American language groups.

F3.large.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I gave you the verse, and I indicated that based on the knowledge we do have, you can ascertain that God intended for the races to be separate.

Well, (1) that verse relates to the boundaries in space and time of individual nations, and (2) you only quoted half the sentence, which continues into verse 27a:

And he made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place, that they should seek God, in the hope that they might feel their way towards him and find him. (ESV)

There is nothing there about keeping races separate. On the contrary, in fact -- it explains why God appointed the multi-racial empires of Greece and Rome: that they should seek God, in the hope that they might feel their way towards him and find him.

Upvote 0

GeorgiaGuyinAtlanta

Mar 13, 2006
✟15,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The idea of "God's separation of peoples" is not Biblical. As to your ideas about languages, I'm curious as to (1) which of the groups in the chart below should be "separate" according to you, (2) whether the "Eurasiatic" or "Nostratic" theories should be used for grouping, and (3) why you are living on land clearly (according to your own theories) allocated by God to Native American language groups.

F3.large.jpg

There are language groups and sub language groups (much what you included). Yes, it seems very correlational with race.

North America was unsettled up until a few thousand years ago. These so-called "native Americans" are not native to the Americas.

God's separation of people's is not Biblical? Then obviously you are having a comprehension issue. Either that, or you are ignorant of the Bible.

Genesis 11:9 kjv
9 Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the Lord did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the Lord scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.

And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;

So God scattered them and set the bounds of their habitation. God's separation of the peoples is Biblical.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are language groups and sub language groups (much what you included). Yes, it seems very correlational with race.

Not really. You obviously didn't take a close look at the chart. And what exactly is "race," according to you?

North America was unsettled up until a few thousand years ago.

Archaeology says otherwise.

And they were certainly in America before Europeans. Therefore, on your theory, it belongs to them.

God's separation of people's is not Biblical?

No, it's not. Your verse from Genesis doesn't say what you think it does, and I've already addressed your misquote of Acts.

There are no Biblical grounds for "separation of races" -- it's just racism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GeorgiaGuyinAtlanta

Mar 13, 2006
✟15,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, (1) that verse relates to the boundaries in space and time of individual nations, and (2) you only quoted half the sentence, which continues into verse 27a:

And he made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place, that they should seek God, in the hope that they might feel their way towards him and find him. (ESV)

There is nothing there about keeping races separate. On the contrary, in fact -- it explains why God appointed the multi-racial empires of Greece and Rome: that they should seek God, in the hope that they might feel their way towards him and find him.

Empires are not countries, rather a group of nation-states overruled by a large central power.

That verse simply drives home the point I already made. It says he allotted the BOUNDARIES of their dwelling place, which is where they live.

Upvote 0

GeorgiaGuyinAtlanta

Mar 13, 2006
✟15,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not really. You obviously didn't take a close look at the chart.

I did take a look at the chart. It basically has African languages together, east Asian languages together and European and middle eastern languages together (many middle eastern inhabitants once looked closer to Europeans).

Archaeology says otherwise.

Archaeology says no such thing. Their DNA is traced back to parts of Mongolia.

And they were certainly in America before Europeans. Therefore, on your theory, it belongs to them.

Maybe, maybe not, but it is debateable, as there are conflicting ideas.

No, it's not. Your verse from Genesis doesn't say what you think it does, and I've already addressed your misquote of Acts.

There are no Biblical grounds for "separation of races" -- it's just racism.

It is as clear as day. It is the only meaning that you can get from both verses. My goodness, your left wing thinking has deluded you from seeing what is blatantly said in the scripture.

"It's just racism". How original. This is the same as calling God a racist? After all, it is His word, and you are calling what he said "racism"? Your interpretation is inaccurate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I did take a look at the chart. It basically has African languages together, east Asian languages together and European and middle eastern languages together

"African" is not a meaningful grouping. As a term for "race," it is only used by racists who can't see beyond skin colour. And the Altaic languages of East Asia are in fact related to European languages.

Archaeology says no such thing.

According to archaeology, the Native Americans arrived about 20,000 years ago. And no sane person believes that Europeans were there first.

It is as clear as day. It is the only meaning that you can get from both verses.

Only by twisting Scripture (and by leaving off the explanatory half of a sentence, as you did with Acts).

My goodness, your left wing thinking

My left wing thinking? I'm ultra-conservative, in fact. Just not racist.

"It's just racism". How original. This is the same as calling God a racist?

You seem to think God is on your side. He's not.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
In fact, I’m a conservative who also feels sympathy towards the undocumented community and wants to see the government help make the good law-abiding ones become citizens.

Do you see the very stark contradiction here? The very fact they're here illegally makes them not law-abiding! I have compassion for them too, but I wish they would come into the country legally. The Kate Steinle killing really boils my blood.

• Agree
Reactions: Liza B.
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I did take a look at the chart. It basically has African languages together, east Asian languages together and European and middle eastern languages together (many middle eastern inhabitants once looked closer to Europeans).

Archaeology says no such thing. Their DNA is traced back to parts of Mongolia.

Maybe, maybe not, but it is debateable, as there are conflicting ideas.

It is as clear as day. It is the only meaning that you can get from both verses. My goodness, your left wing thinking has deluded you from seeing what is blatantly said in the scripture.

"It's just racism". How original. This is the same as calling God a racist? After all, it is His word, and you are calling what he said "racism"? Your interpretation is inaccurate.

Im going to leave these here, and hope you see the point. If not, I'll explain

Acts 2

42 They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43 Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. 44 All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45 They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. 46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

Philippians 2:2

2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind.

2 Corinthians 13:11

11 Finally, brothers and sisters, rejoice! Strive for full restoration, encourage one another, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you.

Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Christianity knows no color or race.

Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
For the record, not every conservative is hostile towards undocumented immigrants. When John McCain ran for president in 2008, he advocated a pathway to citizenship for these people. Lindsay Graham, Jeb Bush, and other compassionate conservatives likewise support an amnesty. In fact, I’m a conservative who also feels sympathy towards the undocumented community and wants to see the government help make the good law-abiding ones become citizens.

However, Donald Trump basically became president by scapegoating people in this country illegally. When he said he would build a wall along the US-Mexico border, his support went through the roof and secured his nomination. The fact that he accumulated so much support from Republican-voters testifies to the hostility that so many conservatives feel towards undocumented immigrants. To me, this is a very sad thing.

The Bible says this in Leviticus 19:34: “The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt.” Obviously those foreigners residing in ancient Israel didn’t have visas or passports. They were undocumented immigrants for all practical purposes. And God is telling his chosen people to treat them as native-born residents. This means God wants us to treat undocumented immigrants in the US with compassion.

Of course I’m aware of drug traffickers, sex traffickers, and violent criminals who come here illegally. By all means deport them. But what about the ones who study hard, abide by all the laws and don’t commit crime, and live like normal people? They’ve been here much of their lives and should be given a pathway to citizenship.

As a Republican and compassionate conservative, I don’t think I’ll ever understand what motivates so many other conservatives to feel so much hostility towards people just because they’re different. Yes, they came into this country illegally, but hasn’t everyone done something illegal in their life at one time? Give them a chance.

Let me just give you some perspective from the schools. First, I love children--all children. In the eyes of God, all children are made in His image. That is a totally separate issue than whether citizens are legal or not.

But in the schools, children who are enrolled but whose parents are not legal citizens are not just getting the same services other children get--they are usually getting more. Not always, but usually. Most of them come from Spanish speaking homes, IF you are talking about Spanish speaking illegal immigrants. So, that means English as a Second Language. On top of that, you're talking about extra services for all kinds of issues I'm not going into here. That costs $, $, $. Their parents are not putting into the system in the same way other parents and homeowners and taxpayers are. They are taking out and usually at a greater rate, but they are not putting in.

The question is not: do you love or care for these children?

The question is: has anyone asked American citizens whether we can and should support these families and at what level?

That's the foundation. If you came to me and asked, would I support any one of the children I have known? Yes. But please ask. Otherwise, it's an invasion, right? Or at least something compulsory over which I have no control. That's not right.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have compassion for them too, but I wish they would come into the country legally. The Kate Steinle killing really boils my blood.

I wish Europeans had come to the Americas legally/ethically, rather than through conquest, almost killing off the indigeneous population, ... and herding into reservations those that they didn't kill.

BTW, does the Las Vegas shooting really boil your blood too ???

Upvote 0