Why so much conservative hostility towards undocumented immigrants?

compassion 4 humanity

Oct 24, 2017
Texas
✟49,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
For the record, not every conservative is hostile towards undocumented immigrants. When John McCain ran for president in 2008, he advocated a pathway to citizenship for these people. Lindsay Graham, Jeb Bush, and other compassionate conservatives likewise support an amnesty. In fact, I’m a conservative who also feels sympathy towards the undocumented community and wants to see the government help make the good law-abiding ones become citizens.

However, Donald Trump basically became president by scapegoating people in this country illegally. When he said he would build a wall along the US-Mexico border, his support went through the roof and secured his nomination. The fact that he accumulated so much support from Republican-voters testifies to the hostility that so many conservatives feel towards undocumented immigrants. To me, this is a very sad thing.

The Bible says this in Leviticus 19:34: “The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt.” Obviously those foreigners residing in ancient Israel didn’t have visas or passports. They were undocumented immigrants for all practical purposes. And God is telling his chosen people to treat them as native-born residents. This means God wants us to treat undocumented immigrants in the US with compassion.

Of course I’m aware of drug traffickers, sex traffickers, and violent criminals who come here illegally. By all means deport them. But what about the ones who study hard, abide by all the laws and don’t commit crime, and live like normal people? They’ve been here much of their lives and should be given a pathway to citizenship.

As a Republican and compassionate conservative, I don’t think I’ll ever understand what motivates so many other conservatives to feel so much hostility towards people just because they’re different. Yes, they came into this country illegally, but hasn’t everyone done something illegal in their life at one time? Give them a chance.

Our GOP is besmirched with xenophobia and needs to clean up.

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The Bible says this in Leviticus 19:34: “The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt.” Obviously those foreigners residing in ancient Israel didn’t have visas or passports. They were undocumented immigrants for all practical purposes. And God is telling his chosen people to treat them as native-born residents. This means God wants us to treat undocumented immigrants in the US with compassion.
That was for Israel.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That was for Israel.
True, but it is the heart of the Lord for how we treat each other.

1 Corinthians 10:11
Now these things happened to them as an example, and they were written for our instruction, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
True, but it is the heart of the Lord for how we treat each other.

1 Corinthians 10:11
Now these things happened to them as an example, and they were written for our instruction, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.
Okay, so we should follow our laws just like they did.

Thanks for that.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A few immigrants will usually assimilated culturally, but the masses arriving here now have brought a foreign culture, which is destroying ours. They are not coming to be true citizens but to take advantage of the freedoms and wealth of America. A large part of our national debt is the money they send back to their true homelands. Many are no better than parasites on our economic and welfare systems. OUT WITH THEM, I SAY! :mad:

OldWiseGuy - apolitical moderate conservative.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟812,249.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
For the record, not every conservative is hostile towards undocumented immigrants. When John McCain ran for president in 2008, he advocated a pathway to citizenship for these people. Lindsay Graham, Jeb Bush, and other compassionate conservatives likewise support an amnesty. In fact, I’m a conservative who also feels sympathy towards the undocumented community and wants to see the government help make the good law-abiding ones become citizens.

However, Donald Trump basically became president by scapegoating people in this country illegally. When he said he would build a wall along the US-Mexico border, his support went through the roof and secured his nomination. The fact that he accumulated so much support from Republican-voters testifies to the hostility that so many conservatives feel towards undocumented immigrants. To me, this is a very sad thing.

Of course I’m aware of drug traffickers, sex traffickers, and violent criminals who come here illegally. By all means deport them. But what about the ones who study hard, abide by all the laws and don’t commit crime, and live like normal people? They’ve been here much of their lives and should be given a pathway to citizenship.

As a Republican and compassionate conservative, I don’t think I’ll ever understand what motivates so many other conservatives to feel so much hostility towards people just because they’re different. Yes, they came into this country illegally, but hasn’t everyone done something illegal in their life at one time? Give them a chance.

Aren't most Americans illegal immigrants? Though not all Native Americans were hostile to the new settlers many were. On the eve of our Thanksgiving Day celebration, I wonder just how hospitable those tribes would have been, at first, if they knew what the European invasion would have done to their peoples. The Wampanoag Indians did eventually declare war on the settlers because of English intrusion and were almost wiped out.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟276,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I'm largely indifferent to the illegals themselves - the problem is the government's systematic non-enforcement of its own immigration laws. It's nothing personal against them; we just can't afford to let them in.

compassion 4 humanity said:

You're tired of seeing the GOP win? Anyways, phobia implies an irrational fear...

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟332,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In general, I’m against illegal activities. I don’t think that makes me hostile, though.
I agree that people should follow the law. That's why we have laws.

However, laws are not immutable. The Congress could change the laws to make legal immigration easier. They could make visas easier to obtain, increase the quotas of immigrants who are permitted to come in from each country, and so on. I'd like to see that happen. It would allow more people to immigrate legally, instead of illegally -- thus upholding the rule of law -- and it would allow us to welcome more foreign nationals who are in need.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
So ... "Love thy neighbor as you love yourself" ... is not for christians ?
I’m not sure how you made that leap.

What you quoted was part of the LAW for Israel. The LAW for America is different.

• Agree
Reactions: SBC
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Aren't most Americans illegal immigrants? Though not all Native Americans were hostile to the new settlers many were. On the eve of our Thanksgiving Day celebration, I wonder just how hospitable those tribes would have been, at first, if they knew what the European invasion would have done to their peoples. The Wampanoag Indians did eventually declare war on the settlers because of English intrusion and were almost wiped out.

I think that the way it worked is that the Europeans took the Americas illegally ... and then, ultimately, passed laws to severely limit who else could come to America.

I recall that slavery was once LAWFUL (i.e. legal) ... and helping a slave escape to the North was unlawful (i.e. illegal).

Upvote 0