Why no mention of "gehenna" in Paul's Epistles?

• Thread starter LittleLambofJesus
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can anyone explain to me why this is any more significant than Paul not mentioning turtles?

Because if hell/hades/gehenna is an integral part of the gospel message, you would expect to see it show up as part of the gospel message.

Turtles, not so much. ;)

Upvote 0

saffron park

The Gom Jabbar, the High-Handed Enemy
Aug 17, 2012
[!] Upstate [!] New York
✟13,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Because if hell/hades/gehenna is an integral part of the gospel message, you would expect to see it show up as part of the gospel message.

Turtles, not so much. ;)

Ah, after reading the first page or so I got the impression that Gehenna was an actual physical place. I've never heard that word before. Thanks. :)

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by Firecycle
Can anyone explain to me why this is any more significant than Paul not mentioning turtles?

Turtles, not so much. ;)
That made me hungry for some turtle gumbo.....

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1. Because it's a particularly Jerusalem metaphor - why would you use such a localised metaphor when writing to people who have never been anywhere near Jerusalem in their lives; metaphors work best when the audience is familiar with the concrete side of the metaphor.

Indeed. It's not actually a Greek word, and Paul's readers wouldn't have understood it.

2. Because Paul is much more concerned with talking about Christ and the immediate implications of Christ than the ultimate hope, and when he does talk about the ultimate hope he isn't all that interested in talking about its alternative.

That too, although Paul does speak of "everlasting destruction."

I'm not sure why we needed thread necromancy for this particular question. :confused:

922256d1357147498-difficult-choice-help-me-decide-als-pp-other-zombiethread.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ah, after reading the first page or so I got the impression that Gehenna was an actual physical place. I've never heard that word before. Thanks. :)
I suppose it is because not many Bible versions us that transliterated greek word.
One of me favorite versions does........

Genesis 1:1 (YLT)
"gehenna"occurs 12 times in 12 verses in the YLT.

Genesis 1:1 (YLT)

Jer 19:6
'Therefore, behold!, days are coming -- an affirmation of Jehovah -- and this place is not called any more, Tophet, and Valley of the son of Hinnom, but Valley of slaughter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hey LLOJ, He does mention it just not by that particular name.

1Co 3:10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
1Co 3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
1Co 3:12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
1Co 3:13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
1Co 3:14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
1Co 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
1Co 3:16
Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
1Co 3:17
If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

Now compare that with.

Mat 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body, but cannot kill the soul; but rather fear him who is able to destroy both soul and body in Gehenna.

Can you see a bit of a pattern?
But it doesn't say gehenna though. :)

2Th 1:8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
2Th 1:9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;
2Th 1:10 When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.
2Th 1:11 Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power:
2Th 1:12 That the name of our Lord Jesus Christ may be glorified in you, and ye in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.

1Co_6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

2Ti 4:1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
2Ti 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
2Ti 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
2Ti 4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
Thks for those scriptures..

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
More thread necromancy!
It was an accident................I was editing some posts and inadvertently hit reply on one......

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,153,207.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Paul uses "wrath" several times, and "eternal destruction" once. "eternal destruction" is used in 2 Thes. A real discussion of hell really can only be done in Controversial Theology.

For what it's worth, the authorship of 2 Thes. is disputed, but the challenges don't seem as serious as for the Pastorals.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.