Why no mention of "gehenna" in Paul's Epistles?

• Thread starter LittleLambofJesus
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Out of the 12 times this word "gehenna" is used, it is used only 1 time outside of the Gospels [James 3:6].
Why didn't the Epistles of Paul mention it?
Any help on this would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Out of the 12 times this word "gehenna" is used, it is used only 1 time outside of the Gospels [James 3:6].
Why did not the Epistles of Paul not mention it?

Strong's Number G1067 matches the Greek γέεννα (geenna), which occurs 12 times in 12 verses in the Greek concordance of the KJV

1067. geena gheh'-en-nah of Hebrew origin (1516 and 2011); valley of (the son of) Hinnom; ge-henna (or Ge-Hinnom), a valley of Jerusalem, used (figuratively) as a name for the place (or state) of everlasting punishment:--hell

Just James (and wallah!) that nasty little member of the body (the tongue) is set on fire of it (Reminds me of the rich mans tongue) "in torment of this flame".

Interesting how the tongue is considered an actual WORLD of iniquity (of itself) and is set on fire of geenna.

Not to mention how such A SMALL THING (as the tongue) compared to "the helm" of a ship (Which steers the ship into its course) just as what comes out of the mouth "defiles the whole body"

Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth! Huh?

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens

Strong's Number G1067 matches the Greek γέεννα (geenna), which occurs 12 times in 12 verses in the Greek concordance of the KJV

1067. geena gheh'-en-nah of Hebrew origin (1516 and 2011); valley of (the son of) Hinnom; ge-henna (or Ge-Hinnom), a valley of Jerusalem, used (figuratively) as a name for the place (or state) of everlasting punishment:--hell
1. Because it's a particularly Jerusalem metaphor - why would you use such a localised metaphor when writing to people who have never been anywhere near Jerusalem in their lives; metaphors work best when the audience is familiar with the concrete side of the metaphor.
2. Because Paul is much more concerned with talking about Christ and the immediate implications of Christ than the ultimate hope, and when he does talk about the ultimate hope he isn't all that interested in talking about its alternative.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes, this is very surprising. Hardly any references to a hell.

If there were references to a hell in Paul's epistles, I would have just said that Gehenna, Hades, and the lake of fire were the same.

The only possible reference is 2 Thessalonians 1:9, which advocates a everlasting destruction from the Holy Spirit. :scratch:
Another interesting thing I found is that Luke is the only Gospel writer to mention "Lake" [the rest are in Revelation]. It is similar to the greek word used for "famine"

And while looking at the greek word #1082 in Luke 5:1, it is similar to the greek word #1067 :confused:

Lake mentioned 11 times. 5 times in Luke [Luke 5:1,2 8:22, 23,33] 6 times in Revelation

Luke 5:1 It became yet, in the of the throng to be nearing to Him to be hearing the word of the God, and He was standing besidethe Lake/limnhn <3041> Gennesaret/gennhsaret <1082>,
[#1082 used in Matt 14:34, Mark 6:53]

1082. Gennesaret ghen-nay-sar-et' of Hebrew origin (compare 3672); Gennesaret (i.e. Kinnereth), a lake and plain in Palestine:--Gennesaret.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Just James (and wallah!) that nasty little member of the body (the tongue) is set on fire of it (Reminds me of the rich mans tongue) "in torment of this flame".

Interesting how the tongue is considered an actual WORLD of iniquity (of itself) and is set on fire of geenna.

Not to mention how such A SMALL THING (as the tongue) compared to "the helm" of a ship (Which steers the ship into its course) just as what comes out of the mouth "defiles the whole body"

Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth! Huh?
Ever considered a match? Yeah I know that is the temporal. But we are talking fire and you mentioned damage.

bugkiller
927154.gif

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Last edited:
Upvote 0
M

Memento Mori

1. Because it's a particularly Jerusalem metaphor - why would you use such a localised metaphor when writing to people who have never been anywhere near Jerusalem in their lives; metaphors work best when the audience is familiar with the concrete side of the metaphor.
2. Because Paul is much more concerned with talking about Christ and the immediate implications of Christ than the ultimate hope, and when he does talk about the ultimate hope he isn't all that interested in talking about its alternative.

Good answer... thanks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Melethiel

Miserere mei, Domine
Site Supporter
Jun 8, 2005
Ohio
✟77,093.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm...

Paul and the rest of the NT epistles never calls Jesus the "son of man". I wonder what doctrine I can create from that one?
Because that was more of a Jewish term. Paul, writing mainly to Gentiles, used Roman terms and paralleled Jesus to Caesar. Lord, Son of God, Savior, and the Good News (evangel) were all terms directly applied to Caesar. You can find old inscriptions that refer to Caesar using that exact terminology. Paul is contrasting Caesar with the real King, Christ. (And if you wonder by Paul always got into so much trouble - he was using VERY political terminology.)

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

Strong's Number G1067 matches the Greek &#947;&#8051;&#949;&#957;&#957;&#945; (geenna), which occurs 12 times in 12 verses in the Greek concordance of the KJV

geena gheh'-en-nah of Hebrew origin (1516 and 2011); valley of (the son of) Hinnom; ge-henna (or Ge-Hinnom), a valley of Jerusalem, used (figuratively) as a name for the place (or state) of everlasting punishment:--hell
It doesen't really matter.Objects of wrath,under wrath..they aint going to a garden apartment when they die.:angel:

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm...

Paul and the rest of the NT epistles never calls Jesus the "son of man". I wonder what doctrine I can create from that one?

^_^

Though theres neat wording in the OT

Cainan,(possession) Which was the son ofEnos (man), which was the son of Seth (compensation), which was the son of Adam (man, mankind) which was the son of God.

As it pertains to David who was just a man himself, Jesus asks...

Mat 22:45 If David then call him Lord, how is he his son?

Luke 1:32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David .

Rev 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

Rom 1:3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh

Acts 2:30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

Heb 1:8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

Col 1:13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son

Exodus 19:6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

1Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light

Pretty kool stuff His words are amazing as you piece them together confirming one another.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Heb 1:8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.
Hail the Sceprter from out of Judah :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
naaaa..he was tender.:blush:.he referred to himself as a mom in gal4,and 1 thess 2.:angel:
:D
With a mom like that, who needs dad eheh

Acts 23:
2 The yet Chief-priest Ananias enjoins those standing beside him to be smiting of him the mouth.
3 Then the Paul said toward him, " God is about to be smiting thee.
Wall! whitewashed,
and thou dost sitting judging me according to the law, and being beside law, ordering me to be being smitten!'

[Matt 23:27]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.