Why Millennials are leaving the church.

CCHIPSS

Love will overcome evil (Romans 12:9-21)
Jul 10, 2014
Vancouver, BC
✟34,527.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-Liberals
I never understood this criticism. How are some people so incapable of comprehending that there can be more than one level of honor?

They say Mary is sinless since her own conception (when Mary was in her own mother's womb). And they marvel that the Mother of God would come to them. When they sin they pray to the Mother of Mercy. What "level" of honor is this? None of the above was in the bible BTW.

I mean sure you can call anything honor. But at what point does the "level" of honor become so high that it becomes worship? I guess we can all argue that no one can define honor and no one can define worship.

So when I work 12 hours a day and keep all that money to myself, I can argue that I am not worshiping money. I am only honoring money.

If I spent $40k a year buying every Taylor Swift CD and flying to watch her every concert, while not donating a penny to the poor, nor even giving any money to support my own family, I can argue that I am not worshiping Taylor Swift. I am only honoring her.

Even if I am literally worshiping Baal, even sacrificing my own child to Baal, I can argue that I am not worshiping Baal. I am only honoring Baal, and honoring Baal requires child sacrifice.

Remember that you can't define what is honor and what is worship. It is not up to you. From what I understand from the bible I am only honoring money, Taylor Swift and Baal. I am still worshiping no one but God. So I am still a Christian.

Would you believe my story? Of course not! I was just looking for excuses to do whatever sin I want.

I do not say this to offend anyone. I just want you to understand what it seems like to me.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
None of the above was in the bible BTW.
That's another thing I don't understand. Why do some Protestants think that divine inspiration randomly stopped after the Bible was compiled? What makes later ideas any less credible?

• Agree
Reactions: Noxot
Upvote 0

Paulie079

Site Supporter
May 5, 2014
✟238,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's another thing I don't understand. Why do some Protestants think that divine inspiration randomly stopped after the Bible was compiled? What makes later ideas any less credible?

I think those are really good questions. I would answer them by saying the reasons are more or less historical. The gist of Scripture is the story of humans' rebellion against God and God's work to restore relationship with them. That work was accomplished once and for all with Jesus' death and resurrection, so we believe that the Bible sufficiently provides what we need to have relationship with God, live a fulfilling life, and spend eternity with God. It has been historically agreed upon that the Canon was closed with the death of the last apostle, which makes sense because the apostles would have been some of the last individuals with direct connections to Jesus during his time on earth.
Now I wouldn't say this makes later ideas less credible, it just means they weren't divinely inspired and they should be weighed against what the Bible says.

Upvote 0

CCHIPSS

Love will overcome evil (Romans 12:9-21)
Jul 10, 2014
Vancouver, BC
✟34,527.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-Liberals

God definitely inspires people after the bible. But all these inspirations must be fully compatible with the bible. If these "inspirations" aren't compatible with the bible, they come then not from God but from Satan.

For example Muhammad said that the "Angel Gabriel" grabbed Muhammad by the throat and forced him to submit to Allah and the Quran. Is this divine inspiration? We say no because the Quran said that Jesus was just a human and not the son of God. And that Jesus didn't die. These contradicts the bible.

God is a God of order. He doesn't contradict himself. He won't say Jesus is God and then change his mind and say Jesus is not God. And he won't say that Jesus died and then change his mind and say that Jesus didn't die.

Same thing with another other cults like JV and Mormons.

Another example would be, say, I bring a stranger to you and telling you that you must marry this stranger here right now. God ordered this. If you don't marry this stranger right now it is a sin against God and you will no longer be a Christian. Is this biblical? Of course not. Where in the bible does it authorize me to tell you who you must marry? And more importantly where in the bible is it a sin to refuse to marry someone that you barely know?

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think those are really good questions. I would answer them by saying the reasons are more or less historical. The gist of Scripture is the story of humans' rebellion against God and God's work to restore relationship with them. That work was accomplished once and for all with Jesus' death and resurrection, so we believe that the Bible sufficiently provides what we need to have relationship with God, live a fulfilling life, and spend eternity with God. It has been historically agreed upon that the Canon was closed with the death of the last apostle, which makes sense because the apostles would have been some of the last individuals with direct connections to Jesus during his time on earth.
Now I wouldn't say this makes later ideas less credible, it just means they weren't divinely inspired and they should be weighed against what the Bible says.

What do you mean "it has been historically agreed upon" ?

Upvote 0

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
You don't get to stalk me. :|
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I'm not a Catholic so I highly disagree with the second one as much as you disagree with the first.
However, personal feelings aside, IF one is brought into a personal relationship with Christ.... who cares what the motives or service looks like?

Just like which version of the Bible one reads doesn't matter. Its personal choice. If one is brought to true repentance and a true desire to follow Christ.... who cares about the "traditions" or the building. It's about Christ, not about us nor our feelings as to how another brother or sister comes to the Father.

That said, I don't believe that a service should look like an as you said "U2 concert" but as I said, IF one is brought to true relationship with the Lord, that IS truly all that matters. Not the how's, the why's, the rules or the traditions. (God can use all things for good, even when they don't "look right" to us.)

Laws, traditions and rituals do NOT save us. Only relationship to Christ and repentance.

Upvote 0

Paulie079

Site Supporter
May 5, 2014
✟238,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What do you mean "it has been historically agreed upon" ?

I mean that Christians (more specifically Protestants) across the world and across time have agreed upon and affirmed the Canon. That is not to say that no one has disagreed, but the large majority have affirmed it.

Also, just to cut it off at the pass in case this is where it is heading...let's not make this into a debate regarding Catholic vs. Protestant theology and practice. I tried very hard to be nice and not say anything snarky in this post lol. I have to guess you would have answered the question I was answering in a similar way, it's just that the Catholic Canon has a few additional writings included.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paulie079

Site Supporter
May 5, 2014
✟238,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, I'm not a Catholic so I highly disagree with the second one as much as you disagree with the first.
However, personal feelings aside, IF one is brought into a personal relationship with Christ.... who cares what the motives or service looks like?

Just like which version of the Bible one reads doesn't matter. Its personal choice. If one is brought to true repentance and a true desire to follow Christ.... who cares about the "traditions" or the building. It's about Christ, not about us nor our feelings as to how another brother or sister comes to the Father.

That said, I don't believe that a service should look like an as you said "U2 concert" but as I said, IF one is brought to true relationship with the Lord, that IS truly all that matters. Not the how's, the why's, the rules or the traditions. (God can use all things for good, even when they don't "look right" to us.)

Laws, traditions and rituals do NOT save us. Only relationship to Christ and repentance.

I would agree with this for the most part, and I know you didn't get into specifics, but there are certain things that might be considered traditions or rituals that do not save but do have their place. The sacraments would be an example. One does not need them to become a Christian, but they are extremely important and even commanded.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nothing is ever more important than God. Otherwise it's an idol. The point is not to look at what is seen, but what is unseen. God can see our heart that which is unseen to us and it is He Who saves. Not the things of this world, like artifacts or relics. The letter of the law kills, but the Spirit gives life!:yellowheart: :clap:

Upvote 0

Paulie079

Site Supporter
May 5, 2014
✟238,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nothing is ever more important than God. Otherwise it's an idol. The point is not to look at what is seen, but what is unseen. God can see our heart that which is unseen to us and it is He Who saves. Not the things of this world, like artifacts or relics. The letter of the law kills, but the Spirit gives life!:yellowheart: :clap:

I'm not sure if you were responding to me or not, but in case you were at all, I don't disagree at all with what you said, but that does not mean that things like the sacraments are unimportant. They have a place as everything does and that place is secondary to God, but that does not mean they should be forgotten or neglected.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sir Robbins

Waiting for Fall
Sep 28, 2012
Saint Augustine, FL
✟52,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Libertarian
A lot of Millennials are leaving. I don't think it's just because of it's church A looks like this and church B looks like this. I believe they want to see something real. How can something be more real than the original, and I'm not talking about church buildings. I'm talking about the Body of Christ. Jesus tells us, that we will do what He had shown us while he was here in the flesh, He also said that we would do even greater things. What did we see Jesus do? He healed the sick and hurting. He feed the hungry. He loved people.
Most people don't see the Body of Christ doing any of these things. There are some theologies that teach healings and miracles are not for today, but I've seen them happen. The Holy Spirit has even used me to heal people. Not just from headaches or soar throats. No from people getting out of wheelchairs to people being healed of scoliosis, among others. People are tired of going to a social club church but want to see and experience something that's real.

Here's another reason why Millennials are leaving the church. Over 90% of churches turn a blind eye to discipleship. Most are just get them in the door and say this little prayer and you'll be saved. Truthfully I haven't seen the salvation prayer in the bible, but I did see Jesus saying pick up your cross and follow me. I also never read Jesus say go and make Christians. Though he does say, " Go and make Disciples." Here's a little tip: 99% of the time, non-Christians don't go to church. It's mostly Christians.

there is much truth to the "real" portion but there are things happening that many are oblivious too. I'll give some examples.

My church (over 20,000 members) dropped their singles groups because the women outnumbered the men literally 10 to 1. No men were going. The men's group kept getting smaller as the women's got bigger but both were very shallow and no one would open up on a deeper level than the surface except those who actually needed help and would lay a big sobbing "woe is me" story and the church encouraged outside counselling to them. This same church just had its pastor of several decades step down to pursue helping the homeless. They too have big light shows and spend a fortune on technology (I would know being a video engineer and former camera operator for them as a volunteer). I also tend to notice women dress like it's the Kentucky derby for church.... what they heck? That's intimidating for most men I know. The thought "it'd be nice but way out of my league" comes to mind when I see them. It's a spiraling disaster.

• Prayers
Reactions: NurseAbigail
Upvote 0