Why Mary ?

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I wonder why Catholics so focus on Mary, mother of Jesus, what is the hidden agenda behind this?

Is it a way to elevate the human status to be equal to God as The Pope as the middle man between God and human being?
Our Lady is of singular importance in history. Only she was selected to give birth to the savior. Nobody else can make that claim. God thought highly enough of her to give her that special gift.

Second, pointing out Our Lady's humanity also emphasizes Our Lord's divinity. And this is an important thing because in the first century, a lot of heresies were ultimately about denying the Incarnation. The heretics had a wide assortment of false doctrines to choose from but in the end they usually denied Our Lord's hypostatic union.

Upvote 0

johnnywong

Sep 25, 2018
Auckland
✟32,912.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our Lady is of singular importance in history. Only she was selected to give birth to the savior. Nobody else can make that claim. God thought highly enough of her to give her that special gift.

Second, pointing out Our Lady's humanity also emphasizes Our Lord's divinity. And this is an important thing because in the first century, a lot of heresies were ultimately about denying the Incarnation. The heretics had a wide assortment of false doctrines to choose from but in the end they usually denied Our Lord's hypostatic union.

I agree with you that she has great blessing from God.

However , many Christians now spending too much time on Mary rather than Jesus .

If I only have 10 min. to pray each day , I will rather spend all the time to pray to Jesus then pray to Mary ( Do you think Mary will be happy if we spend more time on praying to her then to Jesus ??).

It also cause confusion to the non-believers , once I was asked by non-believer :Can I be saved by believing in and praying to Mary ? Salvation is from Jesus alone !!

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
However , many Christians now spending too much time on Mary rather than Jesus .
That's an interesting ability you have there. I guess I always assumed that the judging of faith and souls of others would be done by God. It's a bit surprising to find you doing the job, I must say.

Salvation is from Jesus alone !!
Nobody has said otherwise. It's not an either/or proposition. Although Protestants sure try to make it one, bless their hearts.

Ages ago, my friend @Root of Jesse devised a pretty good formulation of the Protestant theological model over and against the Catholic model. I'm stealing it and using it here.

Protestant Zero Sum Theology:
There is one pie with only so many pieces in that pie. It's either all Our Lord or Our Lord has to share slices of that pie with other entities (Pope, Our Lady, Saints, priests). If the Pope is important, he somehow takes away from Our Lord. If Our Lady is important, she must be taking something away from Our Lord. This is the zero-sum problem. It's all about addition or subtraction: zero-sum.

Catholic Participation Theology:
Our Lord as a Divine Person of the Trinity can use creatures to magnify His power, grace and glory. So it's not about addition or subtraction, but about multiplication. The Pope doesn't subtract something from Our Lord. His office participates within Our Lord. Our Lady doesn't subtract something from Our Lord; instead her "soul magnifies the Lord."

It's not a zero-sum, either/or proposition.

• Informative
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
That's an interesting ability you have there. I guess I always assumed that the judging of faith and souls of others would be done by God. It's a bit surprising to find you doing the job, I must say.

Nobody has said otherwise. It's not an either/or proposition. Although Protestants sure try to make it one, bless their hearts.

Ages ago, my friend @Root of Jesse devised a pretty good formulation of the Protestant theological model over and against the Catholic model. I'm stealing it and using it here.

Protestant Zero Sum Theology:
There is one pie with only so many pieces in that pie. It's either all Our Lord or Our Lord has to share slices of that pie with other entities (Pope, Our Lady, Saints, priests). If the Pope is important, he somehow takes away from Our Lord. If Our Lady is important, she must be taking something away from Our Lord. This is the zero-sum problem. It's all about addition or subtraction: zero-sum.

Catholic Participation Theology:
Our Lord as a Divine Person of the Trinity can use creatures to magnify His power, grace and glory. So it's not about addition or subtraction, but about multiplication. The Pope doesn't subtract something from Our Lord. His office participates within Our Lord. Our Lady doesn't subtract something from Our Lord; instead her "soul magnifies the Lord."

It's not a zero-sum, either/or proposition.
Thank you sir. I'm sure you know I stole it, myself, though I can't remember from where.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So churches building kingdoms of man on earth is merely multiplication of the Father's Kingdom even though they operate on opposing principles?
If they operate on opposing principles, then no But Churches seldom build kingdoms on earth. Matter of fact, I know of no such churches that have done that. I think it's amazing how accurate the Pharisee scholar was...he said "If it's not of God, it will crumble on its own, but if it's of God, nothing will destroy it. " So far, the Catholic Church has survived 2000 years.

Upvote 0

johnnywong

Sep 25, 2018
Auckland
✟32,912.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
instead her "soul magnifies the Lord."

Why we need to magnifies the Lord ?

Are we stealing the glory from Jesus?

Do you know how large the damage it caused to the gospel ?

I am asked frequently from non-believers that we can be saved by believing in Saints and Mary not just Jesus !!!!

Otherwise why Catholic churches are full of images of Mary and the Saints !!

It is not magnifying , It is diminishing the Glory of God !!!

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I am asked frequently from non-believers that we can be saved by believing in Saints and Mary not just Jesus !!!!

And Muslims say we don't worship one God because of the Trinity, we won't change stuff because of misunderstanding and ignorance.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Take it up with Our Lady, she's the one who said it.

I don't even understand what you're talking about.

Have you tried correcting their misunderstanding?

Many parishes are, yes.

To be fair, making a statue of God would be a tall order for anybody.

Upvote 0

johnnywong

Sep 25, 2018
Auckland
✟32,912.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And Muslims say we don't worship one God because of the Trinity, we won't change stuff because of misunderstanding and ignorance.

Totally different topics ! This is not about misunderstanding and ignorance.

This is an open-mined discussion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Difficult to correct because they ask why so many Catholics have so many different idols to believe.
You could try providing the historical characteristics of an idol:

01- A physical object...
02- ... made in the likeness of someone/something...
03- ... which is believed to literally be the person it depicts...
04- ... and is then worshiped as though it is God.

You could then explain that no Catholic statue meets all of those conditions and that therefore Catholic statues are not idols.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Catholic Churches are full of images of the saints who are in heaven. The Sanctuary is a representation of heaven.
Also, I don't care if non-believers just want to disparage what we believe. If they sincerely seek answers, that's different.
The gospels, which are the word of God, cannot be damaged. Our understanding, only, can be damaged.

No, not stealing any glory from Jesus, and your first question is why do we NEED to magnify the Lord? Why not ask Mary, herself? It's not that she needed to, but she DID.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I wonder why Catholics so focus on Mary, mother of Jesus, what is the hidden agenda behind this?

Is it a way to elevate the human status to be equal to God as The Pope as the middle man between God and human being?

I just think it is so unnecessary, and it is frustrating to hear people talk so much about her. She is honored to be the one who carried Christ for 9 months, but people have turned this into something God did not intend. It is the weakness of man to be tempted to take their eyes off of Jesus and look to the creature... :/

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I just think it is so unnecessary, and it is frustrating to hear people talk so much about her. She is honored to be the one who carried Christ for 9 months, but people have turned this into something God did not intend. It is the weakness of man to be tempted to take their eyes off of Jesus and look to the creature... :/
"All generations will call me blessed"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
...She is honored to be the one who carried Christ for 9 months...
First of all, she carried Christ more than 9 months, she likely carried him as an infant and at times as a toddler, most likely she taught him to speak and to walk.. she was His mother.
Yet, even still, we are to honor her not for those reasons, "rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it."
Which is exactly what Mary did and why the scriptures indicate that All generations will call her blessed.

• Agree
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
First of all, she carried Christ more than 9 months, she likely carried him as an infant and at times as a toddler, most likely she taught him to speak and to walk.. she was His mother.
Yet, even still, we are to honor her not for those reasons, "rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it."
Which is exactly what Mary did and why the scriptures indicate that All generations will call her blessed.

She should only be talked about when we come to the account of the birth of Christ (and few places she is in the story). :)

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0