• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Why make it harder to vote?

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by rambot, Oct 18, 2020.

1. rambot

rambot Senior Member

+6,821
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Greens
    380,000 voters, one dropoffhttps://imgur.com/gallery/l1fOG8Y

Another story of voter inconvenience.

I need to ask; why does it seem like republicans are trying to keep people from voting? Don't get me wring, I would LOVE to hear stories of Democrats trying to make voting difficult or just outright denying votes to citizens.

It just seems every story I read an (R) is behind the decision making.

And a bigger question though why would anyone who loves democracy make it harder for people to vote?

And why aren't more people bothered by this?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. nonaeroterraqueous

nonaeroterraqueous Nonexistent Member

+2,349
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    Why do we want lazy people to vote, exactly?

(bad link, by the way)

3. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+5,701
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Voting is the easiest thing in the world to do. You go down to your local Board of Canvassers -or some other place- and register to vote. On election day you walk in, get a ballot, fill it out and turn it in.

Now let's look at the pitfalls:

People voting multiple times
    Illegal immigrants voting
    Dead people voting
    Cats voting

Now I know you're going to ask, "how does a dead person get to the Board of Canvassers"? The answer to that is, "they don't". Something else is going on. Now, choose, let's say, three safeguards to ensure that dead people don't vote. Guess what? There are politicians out there who need those dead people's votes to hold on to their power. And now you have a giant mess of two or three or forty-seven sides in the matter all arguing about what rules they want in order to remain in power.

And that's why there's only one drop box for all those ballots that can simply be mailed in.

4. lasthero

lasthero Newbie

+4,245
    Seeker
    Which politician has been elected because of dead people voting, and how would having a single ballot box fix that problem?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  5. Pommer

Pommer Autodidact polymath

+2,679
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    You, of course, have links to all of these actually occurring.

6. CitizenD

CitizenD Well-Known Member

+878
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Seem?

It's been GOP 101 for 30+ years.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. CitizenD

CitizenD Well-Known Member

+878
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I demand a complete physical fitness test followed by a correctly solved set of Raven's matrices before you can enter the voting chamber, ingrate.

8. HTacianas

+5,701
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
  9. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote Supporter

+8,493
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    You forget Chris Kobach was appointed by Trump to find proof of mass voter fraud. His commission had to be disbanded because they were not able to find any proof. In addition, the Department of Justice also indicates that voter fraud is very rare. Fortunately that report must have gotten out without AG Barr putting the kibosh on it.
    I guess none of the respondents here live in large cities with large minority populations. I guess that none of them have ever had to wait on a line for 8 hours.
    The pictures I've seen all week aren't fake news.
    There is also the matter of throwing people off the voter rolls. In Wisconsin in 2016 they threw 225,000 people off the rolls. I am sure you know that young people and poor people move much more frequently than people who own their own homes. A landlord raises the rent. Boomerang kids move in and out of relationships and apartments.
    When my daughter voted in the recent primary she changed her address. Same state. They let her fill out the form. Although she had moved 60 miles, it didn't affect the primary choices.
    Instead of throwing people off the rolls if their DL is valid they should allow them to change their addresses.
    I think Republicans should go after votes--not voters. If demographics are hurting them, listen to young voters. Listen to people of color and immigrants.
    Perhaps Republican values are antithetical to the common good.

10. MIDutch

MIDutch Well-Known Member

+1,485
    United States
    Agnostic
    Married
    Bummer that trump's hand picked commission of voting rights experts, lead by Kris Kobach, couldn't find any evidence for these pitfalls.

Heck, someone should have been "lock her upped".

They didn't even try fabricating any evidence, which I'm sure was just an oversight before trump disbanded them.

11. MIDutch

MIDutch Well-Known Member

+1,485
    United States
    Agnostic
    Married
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  12. HTacianas

+5,701
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Ex-Philadelphia Congressman Ozzie Myers charged with ballot box stuffing, bribery

13. eleos1954

eleos1954 God is Love Supporter

+3,667
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    Link doesn't work.

14. Hans Blaster

Hans Blaster Well-Known Member

+1,180
    Atheist
    Private
    I favor feline suffrage.

15. Pommer

Pommer Autodidact polymath

+2,679
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
  16. NerdGirl123

NerdGirl123 If only we could be ourselves...

+1,302
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    It's even easier than that where I live. You can register online. Voting itself is entirely electronic (no ballot), you show your ID, push a few buttons on a machine in a booth, and go home. Takes about 60 seconds.

OH, IT'S SO DIFFICULT!!!

17. NerdGirl123

NerdGirl123 If only we could be ourselves...

+1,302
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Voting is not "hard" to do. Register. Show up with a valid ID. Vote. Go home.

Oh, the horror of it all.

18. JackRT

JackRT Well-Known Member Supporter

+15,652
    Canada
    Unorthodox
    Married
    We really don't want the wrong sort of people voting do we?

19. HTacianas

+5,701
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I think I read discussion of that in the legislative record of the 14th amendment. But it it could have been something else.

20. Sparagmos

Sparagmos Well-Known Member

+4,661
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    It’s not easy if you have to wait in line for 4 hours or get across town when you have no car.