Jun 11, 2005
✟1,089,385.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It's even easier than that where I live. You can register online. Voting itself is entirely electronic (no ballot), you show your ID, push a few buttons on a machine in a booth, and go home. Takes about 60 seconds.

OH, IT'S SO DIFFICULT!!!
It's tough living in a blue state, isn't it?
Where the polls have signs up saying, "All Are Welcome!"
Where state attorney generals tell companies recruiting armed thugs to "guard" the polls that they are violating the law (in my state, the AG would find an old redlining map and tell them, "Just these neighborhoods!")
You don't realize how blessed you are.
I lived in a blue state the first forty years of my life (NY). I would have called myself an independent, voting mostly Democrat but occasionally Republican. I voted for George H.W. Bush, for example.
When I moved to three red states consecutively, I was so horrified at all the human rights abuses I saw I became a liberal Democrat very quickly.
When I lived in a small South Dakota university town, I became friendly with a woman who used a wheelchair. Our children were very close. Her husband was in a dead end job earning minimum wage, but actually less than minimum wage, because he was "on salary." He worked about 48 hours a week for 40 hours' minimum wage. He was afraid to look for another job in his small amount of free time because he was afraid if his boss found out he'd be fired. I went to my auto dealership for a warrant repair and saw they were looking for mechanics. I recommended her husband. He was rescued from his dishonest employer.
Two companies (one of them my husband's employer, Gateway) wanted to set up call centers hiring hundreds of people at the munificent salary of $8 an hour (late 1990's). The Chamber of Commerce was up in arms, because there wasn't a single small business in town paying employees $8 an hour, and they would have to compete for the college students. Did they not realize that more jobs, higher salaries would bring their businesses more customers, that perhaps other businesses would be attracted there, that there managers and executives would be dining out, shopping more, going to the movies and shows, etc.?
I wondered why cars didn't have to be expected annually. Another friend scolded me. "If people needed to get their cars fixed because they failed an inspection, they might not be able to drive for months. How would they get to work?"
These had never been my problems. I had lived in a comfortable cocoon all my life, and in the suburbs and local schools, I saw little poverty.
I had known for many years already that the people you call "lazy" often work backbreaking jobs that would have knocked me out, especially as I got older. I realized what a privilege it was to be sitting at a desk most of the day designing publications and advertisements, interviewing people, writing stories and taking photos. Yes, they probably made less than I did--and they shouldn't.
These people understand what life is all about. They need to vote.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why do we want lazy people to vote, exactly?

(bad link, by the way)
What makes you think people are to lazy to vote? I worked ever voting day. So I started voting by mail. When I found out about it. Now with COVID-19, I see no point of putting my family and my self in COVID-19 danger. I even get to know when they receive my vote.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Voting is not "hard" to do. Register. Show up with a valid ID. Vote. Go home.

Oh, the horror of it all.
When you have a full time job. It's not so easy to vote. BTW , Since CA cares about peoples safety. Everyone could vote mail, plenty of drop boxes. If people go to polling places, Higher sanitation ,Mask and social distancing is a must. Ca has a huge population. Without mail voting , drop boxes . Voting will take days. I will be amused to see idiots , voting at a polling place in CA. On the news.

• Friendly
Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,500.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
380,000 voters, one dropoffhttps://imgur.com/gallery/l1fOG8Y

Another story of voter inconvenience.

I need to ask; why does it seem like republicans are trying to keep people from voting?
They're not trying to make it harder for everyone to vote. For example, in my state the GOP specifically targeted minorities in a voter suppression scheme. At the same time other GOP operatives actually went out and collected votes from others - illegally, of course, since that's election fraud. But even though they broke the law to try and win an election it isn't fair to say they want to keep all people from voting.

Upvote 0