Why literal?

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Because that is the normal way to read other written works. There are usually markers or clues when a text should be read metaphorically. The Bible makes the most sense when it is read primarily from a literal point of view, too. If it is all metaphorical, then what is the metaphorical meaning? Does the text itself give us this clue? In other words, the Bible would be even more hard to understand if it was all metaphorical. If it was all metaphorical then God, Jesus, mankind, etc. are all metaphors and we can just go back to our old lives as if nothing ever happened. But God's Word changes a person's heart by the Lord Jesus Christ. Those who believe they have been changed by God's Word believe in a primarily literal view of the Bible. Yes, there are metaphors in the Bible, but even these metaphors are based on real things so as to help us understand what that metaphor is saying. To say the whole of the Bible is all metaphor is to nullify the faith.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think "literal wherever possible" leads to forced literalism and error. The most obvious example is Revelation. Where people force a literal interpretation on passages that are obviously symbolic. And they end up looking for the symbol to appear, instead of what it represents. Much is already fulfilled when we look for what the symbol represented in history.

Upvote 0

JM

Coram Deo.
Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟738,796.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I think "literal wherever possible" leads to forced literalism and error. The most obvious example is Revelation. Where people force a literal interpretation on passages that are obviously symbolic. And they end up looking for the symbol to appear, instead of what it represents. Much is already fulfilled when we look for what the symbol represented in history.

I think "literal wherever possible" allows for other methods of interpretation including allegory, because allegorical passages of scripture simply do not work within the literal framework, Revelation is the perfect example. I'm asking for further clarification.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think "literal wherever possible" allows for other methods of interpretation including allegory, because allegorical passages of scripture simply do not work within the literal framework, Revelation is the perfect example. I'm asking for further clarification.

Yours in the Lord,

jm
It is abused when followed to a t. I prefer comparing scripture with scripture and see what it projects in the final outcome.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why use a literal interpretation when reading and exegeting the scriptures?

Yours in the Lord,

jm
Of course it depends on what type of literature you're talking about. If you're in the Psalms, for example, you wouldn't read the poetry literally. Otoh, if you're reading Deuteronomy, it is mostly meant to be read literally. Why literal? Because a singular (in most cases) message was being conveyed to a singular (in most cases) audience. A literal expounding of the speaker's/author's intention is the most logical way to achieve understanding.

Upvote 0

JM

Coram Deo.
Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟738,796.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
It is abused when followed to a t. I prefer comparing scripture with scripture and see what it projects in the final outcome.

Right. Amos 9 being used in Acts 15 to reference to the church being rebuilt Temple.

jm

Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

Chesterton's Barber

"Theology is only thought applied to religion"
Oct 8, 2018
Clarksville
✟443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Yours in the Lord,

jm
We might want to determine the rhetorical style the author is using before we determine what interpretation method.

Some non-literal styles that are found in scripture can be seen here Against Wooden Biblical Literalism

• Informative
Reactions: Tom 1 and JM
Upvote 0

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Why does it have to be either/or and not both? A literal statement or story can also have one (or more) metaphorical interpretations. St Paul offers such an interpretation concerning Hagar and Sarah in Galatians 4:21-31

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We might want to determine the rhetorical style the author is using before we determine what interpretation method.

Some non-literal styles that are found in scripture can be seen here Against Wooden Biblical Literalism

I agree that there are times the Bible is speaking metaphorically and not literally.
One common error in my opinion is that 90% of the churches and believers make (in regards to Wooden Literalism) is with the "Story of Noah and Ham." They force literalism upon the text at the expense of the Bible's clear use of metaphor here. The wooden literalist's version of the "Story of Noah and Ham" is non-sensical. Anyways, if you or anyone else here is interested, you can check out my CF thread here (on the forums):

Biblical Metaphors Shed Light on Ham's Sin in Noah's Tent.

Side Note:

Oh, and I am not interested in debating the real story of Noah and Ham anymore at this time. I said what I needed to say already on that topic within several threads already. I believe it takes an open mind, prayer, and comparing Scripture with Scripture to see what I have discovered.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yours in the Lord,

jm

I've learned to understand it as an assumption that the writing is not fiction.
So it is always litterally true, in some regard. Even when obviously symbolic.

Upvote 0

UnprofitableServant

ThyWillBeDone
Dec 10, 2018
Hollywood
✟44,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
IMO, anything can mean anything in a metaphorical sense. All you need is enough imagination to start connecting dots that do not exist in a rational mind, but can exist in an irrational one.

I think God can chooses to appeal to our rational side of our nature, thus, speaking in a way that only those that are seeking to know what he means will find take the effort to understand it.

Also, I notice people try to over-complicate things so much, that the simple child-like answer won't be taken seriously. We must be careful not to think like this, because the unless we become like a little child, then we cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

In peace

Reactions: Stone-n-Steel
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
As I see it there are several questions that tend to get confused when people talk of literal interpretation.

One is understanding the sense of the text. Is it history, poetry, satire, parable? Rather than literal I prefer the term "plain sense," what a reader at the time would understand. Most of the time I think that's clear. In a few cases there are disagreements. E.g. I think Jonah is an obvious satire. Some think it's historical. But that kind of disagreement is fairly rare.

A second question is historical accuracy. As far as I can tell, Genesis is narrative. I don't think it's symbolic or a metaphor. But that doesn't mean it's historically accurate. At this point I have a slight uncertainty. I think it's likely that the editor of Genesis knew he didn't have the same kind of historical records for that period as for the kings. He may well have understood the early material as legend. Is that "literal?" In some sense yes. It's not metaphor or symbolic. It's straight narrative. But not necessarily history. Of course even where the original author or editor thought it was historical we may disagree.

A third question, which is often the most important, is how it applies today. The OT has lots of laws. It's pretty obvious that they're intended as laws. Again, not metaphor or symbolic. But that doesn't mean they apply to us. There are various reasons that commands given in the Bible, both OT and NT, might not be commands to us. (The case of NT commands is typically more controversial, so I'm not citing specific examples here.)

Then there's questions of detailed exegesis. Did Paul intend to teach election in a Calvinist sense in Romans? That requires looking at historical background, meaning of words, and understanding the whole thrust of Paul's argument. It's not a question of whether the text is literal or not.

• Agree
Reactions: Stone-n-Steel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Understood that it's not academic. That's how I need to interpret Scripture to live my life. When you say your life is on the line, are you actually at risk?
Yes.
And, since God forbids any private interpretation of Scripture, or of His Plan and His Purpose,
it is LIFE to gain from Him His Understanding , His Word,
not from men/flesh/carnal.

So again, what anyone needs is NOT to interpret Scripture to live their life, but to AGREE WITH GOD, AS HE SAYS.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I've thought of the effect it would have on others. I really, really have.

The only person I would feel I let down is my younger brother.
Yahweh has sorrow even at the death of a wicked person.

We who are born again also have sorrow anytime someone loses their life, especially to the devil/ lake of fire/ because of deception.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I have considered just leaving and going somewhere else

Maybe Jesus is waiting out in the wilderness, just as God protected and fed the Israelites in the wilderness every day for 40 years.

Wherever God leads you, in honesty and in truth, good and well. May HE GUARD YOU under His Wings, as Jesus Says.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I don't know what that verse is supposed to mean to me.
Better as Jesus Says to all : "You must be born again"....

Then there is unlimited Joy, Peace and Righteousness,
all with and in Jesus, according to His Word,

instead of doubt, fear, depression, 'giving up', fear of failure...

Upvote 0

Stone-n-Steel

Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
Texas
✟224,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't have another decade or two left in me. I don't know how to explain it, but I just can't do it, I'm losing my humanity. I care less and less about everyone and everything. I have no future waiting for me if I can just hang on, it just isn't there.

I don't know what that verse is supposed to mean to me.

Consider this. The creator of everything chose to feel all the pain from every bad act that ever happened in all of creation just so YOU can live in an eternity filled with love, joy, and peace. One author of scripture, Paul, spends most of his time talking about God's love for him, not his love of God. This same author, before salvation, went house to house looking for believers just so they can get tortured to death. He was far more evil than anyone you could imagine. Yet, God sent Jesus to express His love just for Paul. Take some time and consider what I just said. As you said your current life depends on it. The eternal life you will have after your body dies also depends on this. Think about it.

The verse in Galatians talks about gifts that the Holy Spirit provides to a saved person while on this earth. You don't have to go through the things you are experiencing now. The gift is just waiting.

I'm not trying to pressure you into anything. I have walked in your shoes and considered what you are thinking, and yet I'm still here because of what Jesus did for me. I also like Paul have committed more evil than most. Yet, I have hope of an eternity with Jesus in Heaven.

I'll close with a passage you can go look up yourself. Look at Acts 16:27-31 and know that the Jailor was certain that he would be killed because the prisoners had escaped. He came to Paul and Silas and in desperation asked what he should do. The answer was simple "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved"

Thanks for listening.

Upvote 0