Harrisburg
✟209,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
All the Orthodox Churches near me are very immigrant-centric. Many conduct their services in Russian or Greek. Why hasn't there been a movement to forge them all into one "American" Orthodox Church? As is, these churches will not be able to last long-term, as they will just plain run out of parishioners who speak their language. It also makes it incredibly hard for someone like me, who is fully American, to actually join the Orthodox Church.

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
All the Orthodox Churches near me are very immigrant-centric. Many conduct their services in Russian or Greek. Why hasn't there been a movement to forge them all into one "American" Orthodox Church? As is, these churches will not be able to last long-term, as they will just plain run out of parishioners who speak their language. It also makes it incredibly hard for someone like me, who is fully American, to actually join the Orthodox Church.
Maybe if there would be more converts around your area. In my previous college, even though Antiochian, they have several American natives there.

Don't expect the Greeks or Slavs to change radically since culture is also part of their church and they might not like to change that.

• Friendly
Reactions: danbuter
Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

What city are you in ?

You might want to check out an OCA / Orthodox Church in America Parish :

Parishes

• Informative
Upvote 0

peregrinus2017

Jun 17, 2017
British Columbia
✟217,468.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There is the OCA, which stands for Orthodox Church in America. That sounds much better to me, putting the emphasis in the proper place. North America should be under one jurisdiction, but Orthodoxy came to North America mostly by immigration rather than evangelism, and many people want to keep their piece of the pie. It is a problem that needs to be solved, but in order to do so, many are going to have to be willing to offer to God what they feel is theirs (whether that is cultural exclusivity, wealth, influence etc.). Though the present situation here is certainly a poor witness, it is at least a peaceful coexistence. I would encourage you to see if there is an OCA parish anywhere nearby.

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Here you go OP - this is an OCA parish in your city :

Home

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What do you guys think about the future of Orthodoxy in the US? Will it become its own thing independent of the Greeks, Slavs and Arabs or will it assimilate to those ones?

Well, I attend a GOARCH (Greek Orthodox) parish, and to be quite honest the Greeks are a minority at this point. The vast majority of us are converts, and the Divine Liturgy is mostly in English. So, my thought is that eventually most parishes regardless of ethnic name will likely end up this way. As for uniting in America? I have no idea.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The OCA is what you want. (Nothing against the Antiochians or anyone else.). Dedicated to being the local church on this continent, answering to no one in the Old World. Good luck.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
This can be an issue but as others have pointed out - there is and has been an effort for unity. But it’s a slow process. Different parishes, even within the same jurisdiction, are more or less “ethnic”. I attend a Bulgarian skete, and it’s not ethnic at all. And I’ve been to a Ukrainian church that’s largely converts, and a Greek church that’s almost entirely Greek. So it depends.

Upvote 0

Coolbutclueless

Jul 9, 2019
United States
✟26,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

It takes time. When the roman catholic church had a similar issue issue (you had your irish Catholics , Italian Catholics, ect.).

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Why hasn't there been a movement to forge them all into one "American" Orthodox Church? As is, these churches will not be able to last long-term, as they will just plain run out of parishioners who speak their language.
Most Orthodox churches were started by immigrants meaning their clergy also came from abroad.. These immigrants did not come here to proselytize the natives but to preserve their faith and heritage. Many are still first and second generation immigrants. As intermarriage with the predominant majority occurs they become more american and with that more and more english is used. Assimilation can be a slow process.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nick1000

Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
Pacific Coast - originally from Maine
✟455,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
. Assimilation can be a slow process.

And when it comes to religious- spiritual matters, assimilation unfortunately has its costs too.

I am a ninth generation American but nevertheless am wary of talk of an American Orthodox Church. I am not orthodox yet but attend as the considerable distance allows. But I can tell you a lot of us do that to get away from what has happened to denominations (and yes I know the Orthodox Church is not a denomination) that have become overly "Americanized" with all the loosey-goosey pandering to everyones need to be a social justice organization and they allow many to just sit there and watch their smartphones because they are cool and their church is cool.

Where "more American" just means more welcoming and accessible to native-born Americans, I am all for that. Otherwise, if I stand in church among immigrants who speak a language that I don't understand but are devout, I am fine. That is the language I came for.

A micro-rant there. but just sayin, the capacity of Americans to take deep traditions and water them down to the lowest common denominator is enormous. Be careful.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
And when it comes to religious- spiritual matters, assimilation unfortunately has its costs too.

I am a ninth generation American but nevertheless am wary of talk of an American Orthodox Church. I am not orthodox yet but attend as the considerable distance allows. But I can tell you a lot of us do that to get away from what has happened to denominations (and yes I know the Orthodox Church is not a denomination) that have become overly "Americanized" with all the loosey-goosey pandering to everyones need to be a social justice organization and they allow many to just sit there and watch their smartphones because they are cool and their church is cool.

Where "more American" just means more welcoming and accessible to native-born Americans, I am all for that. Otherwise, if I stand in church among immigrants who speak a language that I don't understand but are devout, I am fine. That is the language I came for.

A micro-rant there. but just sayin, the capacity of Americans to take deep traditions and water them down to the lowest common denominator is enormous. Be careful.
agreed - this came up at coffee hour after liturgy last sunday. Father was discussing what it means to be "American" -- what good and holy thing does America have to offer to make a distinctly American church? Yeah we have democracy, the american dream, mcdonalds, etc. But none of those things are holy and good for the church.

Upvote 0

nicholas123

Nov 13, 2019
St. Louis
✟21,167.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
There is no consolidated american Orthodox because there is almost no americanness to begin with. It might never even develop and an attempt to unify people under a bureaucracy is always perversion. It has never worked in history and is specially dangerous for the spirit.
Though, it is no good to worry about global cultural trends. It only burns the neurons instead of helping. What you can do is be consistent in the liturgy, this will gain their respect since the children of immigrants almost never go every Sunday. Be genuinely interested and you will be respected.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married