Why is nudity wrong?

GaramHeoMusic

Feb 20, 2012
✟15,133.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am a Christian, and I can easily see myself becoming an actual nudist someday.

Well, you have to remember that you're not the only person living on this planet. It would be wrong to go out nude, knowingly causing some people to fall into sin. If some of you women here only knew how badly we men struggle with lust you wouldn't be saying such a thing.

I'm not trying to sound misogynistic, but I really don't think a lot of Christian women are even aware of how sensitive our eyes are. A beautiful woman wearing denim shorts on a summer day may mean nothing to, but could quickly send a lot of guys into deep lust. I'm not saying women need to run around in burqas, but that they should just know that if they look in the mirror and feel sexy and desirable, there's a chance that it could cause some of her brothers to fall.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Nudity is fine, in a 'nudist' camp or colony where it is normal. So it's where the nudity takes place that's important. Regarding the Christian view, agape includes the concept of propriety, or 'the manners of a polite society'. That alone should lead one to 'proper time and place' behavior regarding nudity.

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
God made animal skins for Adam & Eve to wear, to cover their sin, before they were cast out of the Garden. After the Fall of Man, nudity was a reminder of our sin.
Thank you for proving the point: It is symbolic, just like circumcision and communion. As such, being naked isn't a big deal. Sinning all the time is a big deal.

Upvote 0

FreeInChrist88

Jan 11, 2009
✟37,716.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Because certain parts of your anatomy look disgusting.

Really? Is that what you really believe? Who's anatomy are you talking about? Male? Female? Is that how you really feel about God's creation? Is what God made truly disgusting?

I don't find anything wrong with it, though I rather not look at people's most prize possessions if you know what I mean.

Why not? Is it because you are concerned about lusting? Or is it disgust as well?

I think it is sad and unfortunate when people take this view of the human body, especially Christians. Many have adopted a worldly view of the body - they see it as a sex object and/or they find it disgusting because it does not match the standard of beauty they see in advertising.

Upvote 0

AnotherAtheist

Gimmie dat ol' time physical evidence
Supporter
Aug 16, 2007
East Midlands
✟123,826.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think it is sad and unfortunate when people take this view of the human body, especially Christians. Many have adopted a worldly view of the body - they see it as a sex object and/or they find it disgusting because it does not match the standard of beauty they see in advertising.

Particularly since we now have airbrushing, so the "ideal" shown in the media isn't even humanly possible.

And I also think that if people saw nudity all the time, they'd soon get used to human privates, and wouldn't think anything of seeing them any more than they do about seeing ears and noses.

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Well, you have to remember that you're not the only person living on this planet. It would be wrong to go out nude, knowingly causing some people to fall into sin. If some of you women here only knew how badly we men struggle with lust you wouldn't be saying such a thing.
What you men struggle with is the conception of lust as given by mainline evangelical churches, not lust as it is in the Bible.

I'm not trying to sound misogynistic, but I really don't think a lot of Christian women are even aware of how sensitive our eyes are. A beautiful woman wearing denim shorts on a summer day may mean nothing to, but could quickly send a lot of guys into deep lust. I'm not saying women need to run around in burqas, but that they should just know that if they look in the mirror and feel sexy and desirable, there's a chance that it could cause some of her brothers to fall.
Why blame the woman because you've started obsessing about getting her in bed? Lust isn't just desire for a woman, it's the intent to do something about it.

Upvote 0
T

Theofane

Why is nudity wrong?

Why is it unacceptable for me to display certain parts of my anatomy in public, while other parts of my anatomy such as my ears are perfectly acceptable to display?

Is this (in my eyes dubious) morality based on our societal religious heritage, or does it have another source?

If you have no morality, nothing is wrong because wrong doesn't exist for you.

Enough said.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
T

Theofane

Nudity is fine, in a 'nudist' camp or colony where it is normal. So it's where the nudity takes place that's important. Regarding the Christian view, agape includes the concept of propriety, or 'the manners of a polite society'. That alone should lead one to 'proper time and place' behavior regarding nudity.

I agree. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Enough said.
Not really. You can't prove he has no morality. Plus, that's a really nasty assumption to make and it's why a lot of atheists want nothing to do with Christians. You just attacked him for no reason whatsoever.

Upvote 0

OllieFranz

Jul 2, 2007
✟23,548.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Enough said.
Except (possibly) for a few (extremely) complete sociopaths, everyone has a moral code. Even ordinary sociopaths base their decisions on the "moral" basis that it is "good" to do things that give them more pwer and control. "Right" and "wrong" exist even for them.

Just because someone does not base his moral code on a Fundamentalist reading of the Bible, that does not mean he does not have one. And if he is not a sociopath, it will mostly correspond with yours. Every religion espouses most of the same moral principles, and people who do not adhere to any religion also embrace these principles. It seems to be "hard-wired" into our brains.

Upvote 0

diychristian

Mar 8, 2010
✟15,585.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I was an adult sponsor at a youth gathering years ago and two girls in our youth group were wearing short shorts and tight tank tops along with other "cute" outfits. These girls (innocent as they may be) were drawing some very innappropriate attention from different boys at the gathering. I had to intervene at one point. I later talked to the girls that even if they were not trying to draw that kind of attention, they were, as Christian girls they should be careful not to cause other's to stumble (1 Corinthians 8:9 and other verses). I also noted that if these girls want a nice, respectable, Christian guy then they would have to be a nice, respectable, Christian girl. If you dress "sexy" you will attract those who will sexually objectify you.

We should also remember that our body is not our own and that it is a temple to the Holy Spirit (1 corinthians 6:19). We should do with our bodies what satisfies God and not what satisfies ourselves and others. Some may cry "why should I deprive myself of pleasure?" I think we can all agree (believer or not) Proverbs 27:7 "He who is full loathes the honey, but to the hungry even what is bitter tastes sweet."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why are all nudist camps filled with fat middle aged men?

Good question - maybe because it takes them several years of adulthood to realize how silly it is to compulsively wear clothes all the time.

The "nudist camps" I've been to have just as many fat middle-aged women as men - and I've been going to them since I was a young skinny man. :D

Upvote 0

OllieFranz

Jul 2, 2007
✟23,548.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Good question - maybe because it takes them several years of adulthood to realize how silly it is to compulsively wear clothes all the time.

The "nudist camps" I've been to have just as many fat middle-aged women as men - and I've been going to them since I was a young skinny man. :D

Or maybe because life is filled with fat middle aged men and women. The "pig in the Python" which is the baby boomers are aging, as are the seconday bump of their immediate children (which is big simply because there were so many Boomers to become parents.) There simply aren't as many of their grandchildren and great-grands. And the ever-increasing prudery of those later generations (at least in America -- especially in the Bible Belt) means even fewer young naturists.

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My friend always wanted to "spy" on a nudist camp to see quote "Hot naked chicks!". We had one one the area for awhile and one day while biking we went off our normal path and found a spot to look at this camp. I didn't bother looking because I knew what to expect. He looked and started swearing because there was nothing but people 40+ in the camp all naked. lol

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟318,580.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
My friend always wanted to "spy" on a nudist camp to see quote "Hot naked chicks!". We had one one the area for awhile and one day while biking we went off our normal path and found a spot to look at this camp. I didn't bother looking because I knew what to expect. He looked and started swearing because there was nothing but people 40+ in the camp all naked. lol

That is why yuo need to go to the not quite legal nude beach.

Or France where the nude beach is legal and populated by beachgoers.

Not sure of France, but 30+ years ago at least one such nude beach in California had a higher percentage of young and reasobnably fit people. Of course it was also at least 10 times as har to get to as nearby non-nude beaches, which likely filtered out a lot of the non-fit.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That is why you need to go to the not quite legal nude beach.

Or France where the nude beach is legal and populated by beachgoers.

Not sure of France, but 30+ years ago at least one such nude beach in California had a higher percentage of young and reasobnably fit people. Of course it was also at least 10 times as har to get to as nearby non-nude beaches, which likely filtered out a lot of the non-fit.

Actually, there were several such beaches in California when I lived there. Some were easy to reach, but most required some cliff-climbing or a long walk. But even the easy ones had a wide range of ages and fitness levels.

Some resorts ("camps") do too. The one I frequent always has some children, youth, and young adults, as well as us fat middle-age types. The nude youth behave a lot better with each other than the scantily-clad young people found in malls and elsewhere. Sometimes clothing makes the "hidden parts" more appealing, and certainly more mysterious.

Upvote 0