Florida
✟325,663.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What role does that relate between her, Christ and us?

When Solomon sat down as king of Israel, it wasn't a wife who sat as queen, it was Bathsheba his mother. The Jewish custom had it that the mother of the king became queen.

• Winner
Reactions: joymercy
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
When Solomon sat down as king of Israel, it wasn't a wife who sat as queen, it was Bathsheba his mother. The Jewish custom had it that the mother of the king became queen.
So the title is assigned to the Theotokos since her Son is the King?

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟245,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

She is the Mother of God (in his humanity). She is the Spring and Focal Point of God's marriage to the human race, the Seat of Wisdom.

(I wish I could do better than this, but I understand little of this mystery)

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Mostly she is the fulfillment of the promise that God made to Eve, that her offspring would bruise the head of the snake.
The snake beguiled the woman into accepting nature as her destiny, but as long as nature is fecund, God's plan of salvation works through the seed of women, the seed of Mary even, rather than the seed of Adam and man, through whom sin entered the world.

Original sin comes through the seed of a man. It does not come through the seed of a woman. Mary remained personally sinless as well, so as not to taint her offspring in any way. Moreover, the theology is that she was conceived without original sin as well, as a special dispensation of grace from God.

Death of Adam would be forever, had it not been for the seed of a woman. God did not condemn Eve for being beguiled by that most magnificent of beasts, for being fertile in nature had been his plan for our salvation all along.
Eve said yes to the snake, and Mary said yes to God. This double affirmative on behalf of women allowed for the incarnation of God into this world. In between, the woman of countless generations have said yes to the sinful seed of man in order that the circle be unbroken from the children of Eve to the Christ child of Mary.

• Informative
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Beloved2018

Theotokos, Pregnant With Christ, Save Us!
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2018
KY
✟54,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I never quite latched onto this. The Church, the Wife of the Lamb reigns with Christ. Mary's own reign comes about through that nuptial connection. In other words, she reigns (at least in part) as a member of the Church, having received her crown of glory. Looking at the entire matter from a liturgical/hymnody vantage point, the Church definitely connects the Incarnation with the eschatological (yet immediate)realities of the Wedding that the Church as a whole awaits. "....that I may cry out unto you, Hail O Bride with our Bridegroom!"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
She is the Mother of God (in his humanity). She is the Spring and Focal Point of God's marriage to the human race, the Seat of Wisdom.

(I wish I could do better than this, but I understand little of this mystery)
It is an incredibly deep mystery. But you spoke really well. Well said, Zip.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Beloved2018

Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2018
KY
✟54,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Lol, when?
I may be wrong, but I think the passage being referenced is Mark 3:

20Then Jesus entered a house, and again a crowd gathered, so that he and his disciples were not even able to eat. 21When his family heard about this, they went to take charge of him, for they said, “He is out of his mind.”

22And the teachers of the law who came down from Jerusalem said, “He is possessed by Beelzebul! By the prince of demons he is driving out demons.”

23So Jesus called them over to him and began to speak to them in parables: “How can Satan drive out Satan? 24If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand.
25If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. 26And if Satan opposes himself and is divided, he cannot stand; his end has come. 27In fact, no one can enter a strong man’s house without first tying him up. Then he can plunder the strong man’s house. 28Truly I tell you, people can be forgiven all their sins and every slander they utter, 29but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; they are guilty of an eternal sin.”

30He said this because they were saying, “He has an impure spirit.”

31Then Jesus’ mother and brothers arrived. Standing outside, they sent someone in to call him. 32A crowd was sitting around him, and they told him, “Your mother and brothers are outside looking for you.”

33“Who are my mother and my brothers?” he asked.

34Then he looked at those seated in a circle around him and said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! 35Whoever does God’s will is my brother and sister and mother.”

Upvote 0

Beloved2018

Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2018
KY
✟54,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
  • Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

New Birth

Jan 18, 2019
Vicksburg
✟22,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Married
She was highly favored of God and He chose her to become the mother of our Lord. She is mentioned several time in the Gospels and we understand as a mother she surely played an important part in the life of Jesus. However she did continue to have other children and had a family just as any other young lady would have in that day. Mary is mentioned maybe once in the book of Acts as one in the upper room awaiting the outpouring of the Holy Ghost "for she also needed salvation". After the mention of her in Acts there is no other mention of Mary in the scriptures for she is not a main topic or the focal point of any doctrine. As far as in the kingdom of God Mary is sometimes preached about and used as an example of a willing heart to do the will of God, yet she should never become an object of worship or prayer. Mary does not reign in heaven with Jesus but rather is in the grave awaiting the resurrection with the saints.

• Love
Reactions: Terri Dactyl
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
She was highly favored of God and He chose her to become the mother of our Lord. She is mentioned several time in the Gospels and we understand as a mother she surely played an important part in the life of Jesus. However she did continue to have other children and had a family just as any other young lady would have in that day. Mary is mentioned maybe once in the book of Acts as one in the upper room awaiting the outpouring of the Holy Ghost "for she also needed salvation". After the mention of her in Acts there is no other mention of Mary in the scriptures for she is not a main topic or the focal point of any doctrine. As far as in the kingdom of God Mary is sometimes preached about and used as an example of a willing heart to do the will of God, yet she should never become an object of worship or prayer. Mary does not reign in heaven with Jesus but rather is in the grave awaiting the resurrection with the saints.
Mary was no like other women tho, she bore the Word of God.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,183,372.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
However she did continue to have other children and had a family just as any other young lady would have in that day.
Why is Scripture consistent with Jesus's siblings being older, and completely inconsistent with them being younger brothers growing up in the shadow of the Son of God?

Upvote 0