United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It means All-Holy.

παν (pan) is a prefix which means "all." Think pantheism or panacea.
ἅγια (hagia) is the feminine form of the adjective "holy," or in the biblical context, a saint. Think of hagiography or the Hagia Sophia.

Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟103,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What's the meaning of her title?
From my limited understanding, Panagia means Virgin. It is "one of the titles of Mary, mother of Jesus, used especially in Eastern Catholicism and Orthodox Christianity (Wikipedia)." Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
From my limited understanding, Panagia means Virgin.
No, it is "parthena" that means "virgin", which is often used with other titles the Church has recognised for her :)

• Informative
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It means All-Holy.

παν (pan) is a prefix which means "all." Think pantheism or panacea.
ἅγια (hagia) is the feminine form of the adjective "holy," or in the biblical context, a saint. Think of hagiography or the Hagia Sophia.
Interesting, I didn't know you knew Greek.

Upvote 0

-Sasha-

Handmaid of God
Apr 12, 2019
Midwest
✟27,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Do you know why she is called Panagia?
Similarly with all the saints - the honor we show them is based in their relationship with God...but her relationship is especially important; Mary is uniquely honored for her role in bringing Christ into the stream of humanity for us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,745.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I know that I will call down all the wrath and scorn of the posters on this thread, but, as many have discovered, I have very thick skin.

The title, panagia, was given to Mary much later than the cessation of the writing of the New Testament. It is a word that is foreign to the pages of the Bible.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I know that I will call down all the wrath and scorn of the posters on this thread, but, as many have discovered, I have very thick skin.

The title, panagia, was given to Mary much later than the cessation of the writing of the New Testament. It is a word that is foreign to the pages of the Bible.
What difference does that make?

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,745.00
Faith
Non-Denom
What difference does that make?

I suppose it makes no difference to you, but I do find it a bit hypocritical that you advised a Catholic poster on another thread that one ought to avoid all the stuff that the Catholic Church has added over the centuries and join your church which has not added anything over the centuries. The fact, of course, is that both denominations have added plenty of Tradition over the centuries, the added title of panagia to Mary being one of them.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I suppose it makes no difference to you, but I do find it a bit hypocritical that you advised a Catholic poster on another thread that one ought to avoid all the stuff that the Catholic Church has added over the centuries and join your church which has not added anything over the centuries. The fact, of course, is that both denominations have added plenty of Tradition over the centuries, the added title of panagia to Mary being one of them.
It's a title, an honorific, recognising Mary's place among the Saints and the role she has continued to play in the Church over the centuries. It isn't a change in the thelogy of the Church.
Does a nation change when it honors its heroes?
Plus, the title was given when there was only one Church, and a bunch of heretical groups. Do you align yourself with that Church, or with the heretics?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,745.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It's a title, an honorific, recognising Mary's place among the Saints and the role she has continued to play in the Church over the centuries. It isn't a change in the thelogy of the Church.
Does a nation change when it honors its heroes?
Plus, the title was given when there was only one Church, and a bunch of heretical groups. Do you align yourself with that Church, or with the heretics?

Theology does change when we treat Christians as demi-gods and demi-goddesses and give them appropriate titles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

-Sasha-

Handmaid of God
Apr 12, 2019
Midwest
✟27,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So you admit that you are polytheistic in your theology, believing in many gods subservient to the Holy Trinity?
I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.
But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.

• Winner
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,745.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.
But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.

This has been a perplexing verse for many. If one takes it to mean "gods" in the standard definition, it would clearly state there are many gods, not one as affirmed throughout the Bible, thus forming a distinct contradiction of the Bible, leading to the obvious conclusion that one cannot believe the Bible, or that one has the liberty to pick and choose what one wishes to believe in the Bible.

Moreover, these "gods" are not immortal, but mortal, thus contradicting the definition of what a god is, leaving one to redefine "god" or to determine why these "gods" are mortal.

The Hebrew language, unlike Greek, is quite imprecise and has many words that carry multiple meanings. Some English translations of this verse use "judges" rather than "gods". I believe that this comes much closer to the intended meaning than a literal translation as "gods".

Upvote 0