Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Roman Catholic is a common name, I have nothing agianst the term but I normally just refer the the Church as the "Catholic Church"
The Catholic Church is made up of the Latin Rite under the Pope and Eastern Rites that are under their own Patriarchs or Archbishops, the leaders of the Eastern Churches view the Bishop of Rome as first among equals
I think that calling it Roman Catholic leaves out the Eastern Catholics

The Church has always been in the East and the West with Eastern Churches alwasy being in communion with the Pope in Rome, but in the past 300 years there have been a lot more Eastern Churches that have come into communion with the Catholic Church, here are a few examples
Melkite Greek Catholic Church rejoined communion with Rome in 1726
Albanian Catholic Church in 1628
Greek Byzantine Catholic Church in 1829
Chaldean Catholic Church in 1692
Syriac Catholic Church in 1781
Coptic Catholic Church in 1741

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Roman Catholic is a common name, I have nothing agianst the term but I normally just refer the the Church as the "Catholic Church"
The Catholic Church is made up of the Latin Rite under the Pope and Eastern Rites that are under their own Patriarchs or Archbishops, the leaders of the Eastern Churches view the Bishop of Rome as first among equals
I think that calling it Roman Catholic leaves out the Eastern Catholics

The Church has always been in the East and the West with Eastern Churches alwasy being in communion with the Pope in Rome, but in the past 300 years there have been a lot more Eastern Churches that have come into communion with the Catholic Church, here are a few examples
Melkite Greek Catholic Church rejoined communion with Rome in 1726
Albanian Catholic Church in 1628
Greek Byzantine Catholic Church in 1829
Chaldean Catholic Church in 1692
Syriac Catholic Church in 1781
Coptic Catholic Church in 1741

Those would be getting closer, IOW, Catholic Church in Albania.

'Course the next question would be to which definition of Catholic do we adhere?

Communion with Rome (much later)
Trinity (c300 IIRC)
Same faith (Irenaeus)
Where Jesus Christ is ("Ignatius")

So, if we define "Catholic Church" like they did very early, then it'd be Catholic Church in Smryna, Catholic Church at your house, Catholic Church in Albania. (Catholic Church where 2 or more are gathered in the name of Jesus Christ.)

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Communion with Rome (much later)
Trinity (c300 IIRC)
Same faith (Irenaeus)
Where Jesus Christ is ("Ignatius")
I do not really see these as being contradictions
the Church is the Body of Christ so where He is so too is the Church
the Church shares the same faith
I do not really understand your referance to the Trinity, ofcourse the Church has alwasy preached a belief in the Trinity, but maybe that referance was in context to a group that did not believe in the Trinity?
and now with so many Bishops in schism from the Church and so many man made denominations claiming to teach the acient faith it is easier to show union with the Patriarch of Rome, all Bishops in the Church are in communion with eachother, I am in Columbus Ohio and our Bishop is Bishop Frederick Campbell

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I do not really see these as being contradictions
the Church is the Body of Christ so where He is so too is the Church
the Church shares the same faith

We're just trying to define what Catholic meant 1800 years ago versus how some define it today. So, I see it as a contradiction because at that early stage, no one defined it as 'in communion with Rome'.

I do not really understand your referance to the Trinity, ofcourse the Church has alwasy preached a belief in the Trinity, but maybe that referance was in context to a group that did not believe in the Trinity?

IIRC, it was c300, so Arius was rising up. Definition of Catholic changed to belief in Trinity.

and now with so many Bishops in schism from the Church and so many man made denominations claiming to teach the acient faith it is easier to show union with the Patriarch of Rome, all Bishops in the Church are in communion with eachother, I am in Columbus Ohio and our Bishop is Bishop Frederick Campbell

Well, EO certainly disagrees with you, as do P, about all that.

Anyway, the point is simply to try to understand that the definition of Catholic has changed over the centuries. Very early on, there was no sense of Catholic defined as in communion with Patriarch of Rome. Basically, Catholic was simply where Christ Jesus is.

Again, one example of that definition is "Polycarp, bishop of the Catholic Church in Smyrna". It held to the faith of the apostles/scripture.

Later on Rome defined itself as the Roman Church and the other Churches (see Jerome, Augustine, and others). But the sense of Catholic Church (where Jesus is) was left out or perhaps implied and not an issue.

Later on again, Rome defined itself as the Catholic Church with the implied assumption that today's Catholic Church is equal to the very early Catholic Church. But obviously, it is not the same sense as centuries ago, having changed from every Church (where Christ is) to "in communion with the Pope". They play a simple redefinition game.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why is it called "ROMAN" Catholic Church

Being a Roman was LeEt back in those days :)

Blue Letter Bible - Search Results for YLT
"roman"
occurs 7 times in 7 verses in the YLT

Last time used in NT:

NKJV) Acts 23:27 This man was seized by the Jews and was about to be killed by them.
Coming with the troops I rescued him, having learned that he was a Roman/rwmaioV <4514>.

images

The Destruction of Jerusalem - George Peter Holford, 1805AD

..............The day on which Titus encompassed Jerusalem, was the feast of the Passover.............
&#12288;
.......The Temple now presented little more than a heap of ruins............

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,308.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
this came up on another thread, It didn't get a chance to be answered, can any Catholics tell me why its called "Roman" universal church?

I'm not Catholic, but perhaps cuz it was founded in Rome?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

Tzaousios

Αυγουστινιανικός Χριστιανός
Dec 4, 2008
Comitatus in praesenti
Visit site
✟26,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
.......Yes....She did rise from from Rome, no doubt about it

Surely by calling it "she" you mean to evoke the image of the Church has the Holy Mother Church, right?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
LOL! I dunno, but it DOES say "Roman" Catholic, and the headquarters is in "Rome". :p ^_^
Now if they can just learn how to build towers that don't lean :)

Zeph 1:16 A day of trumpet and alarm/shouting on the cities, ones being fenced/fortified and the lofty towers.
17 "And I bring distress to adam and they go as blind-ones, that against the LORD they sin, and blood of them shall be poured out as soil and intestine of them as dung.

.......The Temple now presented little more than a heap of ruins
Before their final demolition, however, Titus took a survey of the city and its fortifications ; and, while contemplating their impregnable strength, could not help ascribing his success to the peculiar interposition of the ALMIGHTY HIMSELF. "Had not God himself (exclaimed he) aided out operations, and driven the Jews from their fortresses, it would have been absolutely impossible to have taken them ; for what could men, and the force of engines, have done against such towers as these ?"

Leaning_Tower_of_Pisa-Tourists.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,308.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Now if they can just learn how to build towers that don't lean :)

Zeph 1:16 A day of trumpet and alarm/shouting on the cities, ones being fenced/fortified and the lofty towers.
17 "And I bring distress to adam and they go as blind-ones, that against the LORD they sin, and blood of them shall be poured out as soil and intestine of them as dung.

.......The Temple now presented little more than a heap of ruins
Before their final demolition, however, Titus took a survey of the city and its fortifications ; and, while contemplating their impregnable strength, could not help ascribing his success to the peculiar interposition of the ALMIGHTY HIMSELF. "Had not God himself (exclaimed he) aided out operations, and driven the Jews from their fortresses, it would have been absolutely impossible to have taken them ; for what could men, and the force of engines, have done against such towers as these ?"

Leaning_Tower_of_Pisa-Tourists.jpg

Whoa! Some serious verses there amigo.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.