Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Think of of it this way..

Food is for the body (health, wellbeing)

NOT

The body for food (as in slavery to food)

Hopefully this makes sense. It's lovely to enjoy an apple, it's a simple pleasure that tastes good and is healthy for you.

When you like the taste of apple's so much you will eat til you get sick, you have become a slave to your desire..

Some people have allowed food to be their master, instead of allowing themselves to master their desires. That is a sin.. we do not/cannot eat beyond what is for our health and wellbeing..
I can understand food addiction can be a bad thing, but do you really think it should be considered one of the deadly sins? I can think of plenty that should have made the list ahead of food addiction; what about chemical addiction? What about using God as an excuse to cause harm or even kill others? What about claiming to speak for God in order to control the gullible? Then of course there's rape, genocide, and other evils that seem to be left off the list; what do you think?

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I can understand food addiction can be a bad thing, but do you really think it should be considered one of the deadly sins? I can think of plenty that should have made the list ahead of food addiction; what about chemical addiction? What about using God as an excuse to cause harm or even kill others? What about claiming to speak for God in order to control the gullible? Then of course there's rape, genocide, and other evils that seem to be left off the list; what do you think?

The Bible puts it on par with sexual sins.

The reason for that is because it's a sin IN the body, the same as sexual sins are.

See. As Christians we are Temples of the Living God, the Holy Spirit. We are indwelt by the Spirit of God from the time we are initially justified in Christ, when we accept His Lordship over us and believe in Him in Truth.

This indwelling is comparable to marriage, "and the two shall become one" (The old testament has many references to God being a husband to us)

So in this marriage-type relationship with God; this union between us and the Holy Spirit - any sin that is in the body is seen as prostitution or adultery.

There can be no union between God and sin, and in us, in our bodies, we are in union with God.

Make sense?

So gluttony is a sexual sin, or on par with sexual sins, because its commited in the body, it's allowing something other than God to master us after the union between us and God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The Bible puts it on par with sexual sins.

The reason for that is because it's a sin IN the body, the same as sexual sins are.

See. As Christians we are Temples of the Living God, the Holy Spirit. We are indwelt by the Spirit of God from the time we are initially justified in Christ, when we accept His Lordship over us and believe in Him in Truth.

This indwelling is comparable to marriage, "and the two shall become one" (The old testament has many references to God being a husband to us)

So in this marriage-type relationship with God; this union between us and the Holy Spirit - any sin that is in the body is seen as prostitution or adultery.

There can be no union between God and sin, and in us, in our bodies, we are in union with God.

Make sense?

So gluttony is a sexual sin, or on par with sexual sins, because its commited in the body, it's allowing something other than God to master us after the union between us and God.
So if I understand you correctly; a sin IN the body like over eating, is far worse than rape, genocide, spreading lies about God in order to gain power and control over others, etc. etc. fair enough; I guess that is just another one of those things that doesn't make sense to me about religion.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So if I understand you correctly; a sin IN the body like over eating, is far worse than rape, genocide, spreading lies about God in order to gain power and control over others, etc. etc. fair enough; I guess that is just another one of those things that doesn't make sense to me about religion.

I'm not sure there is a "worse" or "better" in sinning. All sin is a crime against God, all sin separates you from God.

I simply told you why the Bible equates gluttony to adultery or prostitution, and why it's considered a sin that is grave in the Bible.

On its surface it doesn't seem all that bad, but what we see on a things surface isn't always the correct perception from God's point of view.

It doesn't make rape or murder etc. any less grave in and of themselves.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure there is a "worse" or "better" in sinning. All sin is a crime against God, all sin separates you from God.

I simply told you why the Bible equates gluttony to adultery or prostitution, and why it's considered a sin that is grave in the Bible.

On its surface it doesn't seem all that bad, but what we see on a things surface isn't always the correct perception from God's point of view.

It doesn't make rape or murder etc. any less grave in and of themselves.
Yeah; I got cha; but gluttony is considered a deadly sin, rape and murder are not. So it seems to me over eating is considered far worse (to Christians) than rape and murder

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah; I got cha; but gluttony is considered a deadly sin, rape and murder are not. So it seems to me over eating is considered far worse (to Christians) than rape and murder

That classification must be a Catholic thing, it's not throughout Christianity..

The Bible never says gluttony is worse than rape or murder - it's just a sin that a Christian might be more likely to fall into unwittingly, as it doesn't seem on its surface to be obviously sinful like rape and murder is.

That makes it more dangerous a sin to the Christian because even the atheist knows not to rape and murder, as a general rule, but its not a worse sin than rape and murder.

Last edited:
Upvote 0