Brisbane
✟6,250.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’m not Orthodox yet but creeping into the Church… I have a few questions and would be very grateful for any answer you can give!

I don’t particularly understand the concept of gluttony. I love all kinds of sweets, but I’ve heard that it’s not safe to eat them often as they encourage carnal passions. If so…how often can you have them? Is it wrong to eat foods you enjoy/buy ingredients that taste good to you, or should I eat bland food mostly instead? I usually eat cereal with fruit and yogurt or peanut butter, is that gluttonous? We also snack a bit during the day in my household – mostly avocado and chips and that sort of thing. Is that ok? How often is eating out realistically ok for your spiritual health? I understand eating in moderation, but how do I know what moderation is for me? Also, I’m a vegan (usually… I make excuses for chocolate sometimes), and don’t know how I should fast, so if anyone has any tips that would be perfect!

I would ask a priest about all this but I can’t access one at the moment unfortunately.

Thank you all!

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I’m not Orthodox yet but creeping into the Church… I have a few questions and would be very grateful for any answer you can give!

I don’t particularly understand the concept of gluttony. I love all kinds of sweets, but I’ve heard that it’s not safe to eat them often as they encourage carnal passions. If so…how often can you have them? Is it wrong to eat foods you enjoy/buy ingredients that taste good to you, or should I eat bland food mostly instead? I usually eat cereal with fruit and yogurt or peanut butter, is that gluttonous? We also snack a bit during the day in my household – mostly avocado and chips and that sort of thing. Is that ok? How often is eating out realistically ok for your spiritual health? I understand eating in moderation, but how do I know what moderation is for me? Also, I’m a vegan (usually… I make excuses for chocolate sometimes), and don’t know how I should fast, so if anyone has any tips that would be perfect!

I would ask a priest about all this but I can’t access one at the moment unfortunately.

Thank you all!
gluttony is when the desire for sweets controls you, rather than you being in control, or when you eat needlessly. there’s nothing wrong with being thankful for the food God provides.

sweets can be tricky since they are usually not nutritious, so it’s easier to overindulge.

Upvote 0

silkybunny

Oct 6, 2023
Brisbane
✟6,250.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
gluttony is when the desire for sweets controls you, rather than you being in control, or when you eat needlessly. there’s nothing wrong with being thankful for the food God provides.

sweets can be tricky since they are usually not nutritious, so it’s easier to overindulge.
thank you :) what would be considered eating needlessly? Would wanting to finish a plate to please someone even if you're full be needless? How would I eat sweets without overindulging, if they don't profit the body?
You're a priest, aren't you? Do you have any advice on how I should fast, if I'm already vegan all the time?
Thank you again for the reply :blush:

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
what would be considered eating needlessly?
you’re not hungry but still eat that last slice of cake.
Would wanting to finish a plate to please someone even if you're full be needless?
it can be.
How would I eat sweets without overindulging, if they don't profit the body?
sparingly, and some sweets actually can profit the body if eaten in moderation.
You're a priest, aren't you? Do you have any advice on how I should fast, if I'm already vegan all the time?
simple dishes in smaller portions.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
what would be considered eating needlessly? Would wanting to finish a plate to please someone even if you're full be needless?
Funny, you reminded me of a childhood memory. We had a schoolteacher teaching about how different cultures are different. One example she gave was that, in some cultures, it can be considered rude to eat everything on the plate because there could be the implication that the hosts were stingy and didn't give you enough food. In some cultures it can be the opposite: if you don't finish the plate there could be the implication that you didn't like the food.

I don't even know if any of that's true, but when it comes to eating in other's homes, our priest once reminded us of the importance of not offending people by being rude, or appearing overly legalistic or self-righteous, so I think it just depends on the situation.

• Friendly
Reactions: silkybunny
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
how often can you have them? The government allowance right now is 300 carbs a day. Spend they any way you want a carb is a crab but it would be a good idea to avoid corn sweetener and soda that has corn sweetener in it. If you eat to many carbs, ie sugar you become hyper glycemic and can develop things like neuropathy. People with diabetes get sick because they eat more sugar than there body can break down and digest. If I eat to much sugar I will wake up at night with pins and needles in my feet. I know if I want to sleep I need to quit eating so much sugar and bring down my sugar levels.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
We had a schoolteacher teaching about how different cultures are different.
1709946503733.png

• Haha
Reactions: silkybunny
Upvote 0